Home & Garden

Airbnb not permitted in Vaughan! They want to inpect the house.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2018 11:52 am
[OP]
Sep 17, 2008
596 posts
106 upvotes

Airbnb not permitted in Vaughan! They want to inpect the house.

Hi guys,

So my cousin live in Vaughan and He had 1 room list on Airbnb for a month. He had a few guests. And recently someone fromt the city came by and said Airbnb is not allowed in Vaughan, and neighbor complained because this house has many cars parked, and She need to inspect the house.

My cousin asked what does the city need to inspect exactly and the inspector does not says, she just said the house need to be inspected need my cousin to schedule a date/time and left a name card with the number.

So my cousin wants to know if anyone has similar experience, and what should my cousin do? He already removed his airbnb listing.
-should he let the inspector come into the house?
-should my cousin refuse the inspection?
-what the inspector normally inspect?

Thanks
[external links removed]
13 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20621 posts
4352 upvotes
Toronto
More people need to do this. I wish I lived next to your cousin so I could report him too.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
Probably going to inspect for any violations. Maybe he should have followed his city's bylaws.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24397 upvotes
Center of Universe
s0n1c wrote: Hi guys,

So my cousin live in Vaughan and He had 1 room list on Airbnb for a month. He had a few guests. And recently someone fromt the city came by and said Airbnb is not allowed in Vaughan, and neighbor complained because this house has many cars parked, and She need to inspect the house.

My cousin asked what does the city need to inspect exactly and the inspector does not says, she just said the house need to be inspected need my cousin to schedule a date/time and left a name card with the number.

So my cousin wants to know if anyone has similar experience, and what should my cousin do? He already removed his airbnb listing.
-should he let the inspector come into the house?
-should my cousin refuse the inspection?
-what the inspector normally inspect?

Thanks
Example for Markham...
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connect/m ... 4f01399f24
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8761 posts
2392 upvotes
VICTOR KWAN wrote: My last house had an Airbnb next door and let me tell you what a disaster that was,im so glad we moved from there. People in and out at all hours, different people every couple of days, no maintence done to the house ie: cutting the lawn or picking up after there dogs (we couldn't sit in out backyard cause of the smell of dog sh*t) and cars everywhere, sometimes blocking my driveway! Every municipality should enforce this, people pay a lot of money for there homes and shouldn't have to deal with that BS!
Can't really compare an entire house vs 1 room here. OPs cousin is trying to get some spending money.
Feb 26, 2011
945 posts
1015 upvotes
Calgary
EPcjay wrote: OPs cousin is trying to get some spending money.
My beef is whether the cousin is paying taxes for this...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
3069 posts
1621 upvotes
Calgary, AB
VICTOR KWAN wrote: My last house had an Airbnb next door and let me tell you what a disaster that was,im so glad we moved from there. People in and out at all hours, different people every couple of days, no maintence done to the house ie: cutting the lawn or picking up after there dogs (we couldn't sit in out backyard cause of the smell of dog sh*t) and cars everywhere, sometimes blocking my driveway! Every municipality should enforce this, people pay a lot of money for there homes and shouldn't have to deal with that BS!
This is why we can't have nice things.

"Couch surfing" is a great idea, until people realise that rather than just renting their house out for a week or two while they're away on holiday they can just rent it out full time and make more money as an unlicenced hotel.

Same with ride sharing and many of the other sharing economies that have sprung up over the last couple of years.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto
If AirBnb is not allowed in Vaughan then why have an inspection?

Also inviting by law enforcement into your house just sounds like a can of worms.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
Is "cousin" the new euphemism for "friend"?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19710 posts
20195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
notfromqc wrote: Is "cousin" the new euphemism for "friend"?
Absolutely. RFD users have tons of friends with issues and they are so nice to do research for them!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4083 posts
3356 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EPcjay wrote: Can't really compare an entire house vs 1 room here. OPs cousin is trying to get some spending money.
Firstly, there's no OP's cousin. It's OP himself. Think about it. If his cousin had an issue, why wouldn't he just ask it on the internet himself? You think he asked all his cousins if anyone had an account on the internet, and then OP said yes, and then went ahead and wrote a whole post? "My friend/brother/cousin" is a familiar trope on RFD.

OP should also find a legal way to get some money.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5313 posts
5433 upvotes
Ottawa
I’m guessing that they are seeking compliance with health and safety regulations. They know that the home was used as an Airbnb. I am sure they have a copy of the listing. They know whether a permit or license was issued for the address to operate a BandB. They know what the current zoning regulations are for the area.

Whether the cousin can refuse entrance? Suggest legal opinions on that.
Oct 4, 2014
138 posts
10 upvotes
bowmanville, ON
canoek wrote: Firstly, there's no OP's cousin. It's OP himself. Think about it. If his cousin had an issue, why wouldn't he just ask it on the internet himself?
maybe they dont speak english?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19710 posts
20195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cdnguy77 wrote: maybe they dont speak english?
Yup this Canada afterall. Where we have immigrants that have been here for decades that don’t speak a lick of English!!!