Automotive

Airbox Design Question

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2017 12:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22333 posts
2977 upvotes

Airbox Design Question

Why did Toyota engineers design a airbox like this?

That black thing before #8 has a hole which meets to another hole that's drilled near the driver side wheel well..... So the car already has a "CAI" but why did they include #8? Does it make the air colder? #8 is underneath the battery pan and headlight area. Pain in the butt to get at....

Image
Image
Image
Image
^^ That entire airbox piece is where the guy is crouching
Last edited by george__ on Aug 30th, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19673 posts
20110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm no expert, but it couple be for noise suppression or to help with low end torque. Bmw uses a valve on the air box that will open under pressure to allow better airflow. (Some models)
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22333 posts
2977 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: I'm no expert, but it couple be for noise suppression or to help with low end torque. Bmw uses a valve on the air box that will open under pressure to allow better airflow. (Some models)
I'm worried the material will like disintegrate into the engine after a winter or two becuase it's not made of plastic...
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19673 posts
20110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
george__ wrote: I'm worried the material will like disintegrate into the engine after a winter or two becuase it's not made of plastic...
It's not plastic? What is it? Sponge? Lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
george__ wrote: I'm worried the material will like disintegrate into the engine after a winter or two becuase it's not made of plastic...
PET plastic or polyethylene terephthalate, is the most common type of polyester
The air intake is designed to provide the most air into the intake. The tubing is basically designed to allow fitment of the airbox within the engine compartment.
Member
Aug 14, 2011
413 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
It has been my experience that airbox design is more about noise suppresion than anything else. Cut it or take it out and put a filter on the end of it and enjoy your new found power and being able to actually hear your engine.

If you don't want either of those things leave it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7784 upvotes
Brampton
SAVINGSTAR wrote: It has been my experience that airbox design is more about noise suppresion than anything else. Cut it or take it out and put a filter on the end of it and enjoy your new found power and being able to actually hear your engine.

If you don't want either of those things leave it.
The most amount of high velocity flow for the least amount of noise across the entire power band while complying with Emissions and budget is how I would define it.

The stock intake in many cases is as optimal as they can get it these days, when you're looking at all the factors.
Can you make more power? Sure. That seems to be the only thing people look at when they buy intakes but manufacturers have a lot of to consider when they make their cars. (Temp ranges, the whole power band, rain and snow, ease of maintenance, noise, etc.)

Top