Travel

Locked: Airlines flying to HKG with even 1 covid-19 passenger aboard now face 2 week ban, KLM now banned

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2020 9:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4964 posts
4008 upvotes

Airlines flying to HKG with even 1 covid-19 passenger aboard now face 2 week ban, KLM now banned

Wow, this is pretty intense, they're not playing around at all

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... -bar-covid
Airlines flying to Hong Kong with even a single Covid-19-positive passenger aboard now face a two-week ban if any other travellers on the flight fail to comply with pandemic control measures under tough new rules aimed at preventing imported cases, the Post has learned.

But while the move places a stricter emphasis on compliance with regulations governing the passenger screening process, there are still no penalties tied to failures of due diligence that do not involve an imported infection.

Even so, one major airline has already fallen foul of the new standard, with European carrier KLM Royal Dutch Airlines becoming the first carrier found to have breached the new rules last week, prompting the government to ban its Amsterdam-Hong Kong flight from December 4 to 17.

The Department of Health said one of the KLM passengers “could not comply with the requirements specified”, but did not elaborate on what rule the traveller had violated. The airline declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.

Carriers were previously banned only when a plane contained five or more passengers who tested positive for the coronavirus upon arrival, or if a total of at least three infected passengers arrived aboard two consecutive flights.

The new airline rules, however, appear to put a greater degree of accountability on carriers for ensuring passengers on an arriving flight comply with the Prevention and Control of Disease (Regulation of Cross-boundary Conveyances and Travellers) Regulation.

Share:
9 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 3, 2003
568 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
British Airways has now been served with a two week ban as well.

Air India has just returned to HKG after being banned for COVID regulation violations for the fifth time.

Meanwhile in Canada... no testing upon arrival and you have super-duper pinky-swear to self-isolate after arriving from overseas... after you take any domestic connecting flights to your final destination.
Member
May 22, 2019
494 posts
105 upvotes
Hong Kong government did the right thing, unlike Canada government who completely ignores COVID-19.

But at least our government is way better than the terrorist government led by Donald Trump. At least we are way better than USA and European countries.

Canada should learn from Asian countries from many perspectives.
StatsGuy wrote: Wow, this is pretty intense, they're not playing around at all

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... -bar-covid
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1188 posts
151 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: Hong Kong government did the right thing, unlike Canada government who completely ignores COVID-19.

But at least our government is way better than the terrorist government led by Donald Trump. At least we are way better than USA and European countries.

Canada should learn from Asian countries from many perspectives.

The Trump administration is likely why there is a vaccine right now.

The Trump administration is also one of the last 30 years of US presidents that did not start a war.

(Trump is a baffoon, but let facts be facts.)

Canada infection rates are also rising like crazy. US is rising cuz many states have no lockdown. While in Canada

1) Lockdown: YES
2) Businesses failing: YES
3) Unjust application of enforcement on Small Businesses base on Twitter sentiments instead of "science" as all civil leaders cry: YES
(How many people cite their "grandmothers" as why Adamson BBQ should not open... If your grandmother is high risk, she should not go out. Don't prevent me from living my life. Don't force businesses to close. Everyone should mask, reduce capacity, etc. But full lockdown is hurting more people than COVID itself.)
4) Record spraying of money that leads all G7 countries: YES
5) Highest unemployment after start of COVID: YES

and best of all

6) Rising uncontrollable cases: YES YES YES!

Do we also blame Donald Trump for all of above? YES.
Banned
Sep 14, 2020
437 posts
239 upvotes
If there were no community transmission, returning international travelers quarantining made perfect sense.

When currently in Canada community transmission is in full swing, it makes no sense to quarantine at all when returning. With Canada only allowing citizens/residents to enter Canada, any potential infected is a 1 tiny drop in a bathtub (not bucket). Yet it hurts businesses that depend on travelers disproportionally much more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4964 posts
4008 upvotes
dealzuser wrote: The Trump administration is likely why there is a vaccine right now.

The Trump administration is also one of the last 30 years of US presidents that did not start a war.

(Trump is a baffoon, but let facts be facts.)

Canada infection rates are also rising like crazy. US is rising cuz many states have no lockdown. While in Canada

1) Lockdown: YES
2) Businesses failing: YES
3) Unjust application of enforcement on Small Businesses base on Twitter sentiments instead of "science" as all civil leaders cry: YES
(How many people cite their "grandmothers" as why Adamson BBQ should not open... If your grandmother is high risk, she should not go out. Don't prevent me from living my life. Don't force businesses to close. Everyone should mask, reduce capacity, etc. But full lockdown is hurting more people than COVID itself.)
4) Record spraying of money that leads all G7 countries: YES
5) Highest unemployment after start of COVID: YES

and best of all

6) Rising uncontrollable cases: YES YES YES!

Do we also blame Donald Trump for all of above? YES.
What does Trump have to do with the German Pfizer vaccine or UK Oxford vaccine?

US deaths and infections per capita is much higher than even our current alarming rates


https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... habitants/

Eg current 7 day average for US deaths/million for covid19 Is 40 deaths per million and 885 deaths/million total

Canada current 7 day average for deaths per million is 16 deaths/million or 349/million total

US is on a totally different stratosphere with their covid19 rates with current day average per capita deaths at around 5.5x higher than Canada

And we dont have lockdown anywhere in Canada unlike US cities with curfews.

These aren't advanced stats , just basic per capita stuff
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1188 posts
151 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: What does Trump have to do with the German Pfizer vaccine or UK Oxford vaccine?

US deaths and infections per capita is much higher than even our current alarming rates

And we dont have lockdown anywhere in Canada unlike US cities with curfews.


So let's test this theory of whether you are brainwashed by mass media bias. I'll post from Mass Media, not "fringe" media so that you won't say I'm posting "fake" news.

1) What does Trump have to do with the German Pfizer vaccine or UK Oxford vaccine?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/operatio ... -1.5806820

Excerpt
"No doubt, Operation Warp Speed is a huge success," said Tinglong Dai, associate professor of Operations Management and Business Analytics at Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School in Baltimore.

"You can like or hate the Trump administration, but no doubt, it's a huge success — unprecedented success."
Indeed, Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine development and manufacturing costs have been entirely funded by the company. However, it did strike a deal with Operation Warp Speed for the U.S. government to buy about $2 billion of its vaccine, or 100 million doses, once it gets approved.

"Pfizer is a very large company with substantial cash reserves," Goodman said. "I'm sure that [OWS] was helpful. I'm not sure about [whether] it wouldn't have happened without it."


So if one is objective, one can attribute some good to the Trump administration.

Off topic comment RE Trump and media hysteria / misinformation campaign against him. My friend actually says - just name 1 thing that Trump has done that is good. Talk about brainwashed. Trump is not a good guy. He is narcissistic, dishonest, and for sure I would not look for these qualities in my friends or family. But Trump and his administration has done a lot of good. I was objecting to this statement previous to my post - " the terrorist government led by Donald Trump." Reality is the Trump Administration brought more peace to the middle east than any other US administration. Trump administration is the only one in modern history that did not start a war. (Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama). To call Trump government "terrorist" indicates lack of objectivity that most of the public now has.

StatsGuy wrote: US deaths and infections per capita is much higher than even our current alarming rates

And we dont have lockdown anywhere in Canada unlike US cities with curfews.
And I'm not sure how Trump can be blamed for rising case counts. Just like in Canada that healthcare is a provincial response, healthcare is a state response. Trump cannot be blamed for case counts. Quebec is amount top case counts per capita when lumped in with US states.

Trump is too narcissistic and prideful to express non-political correct opinions. If he hid behind "scientists" like our politicians did, then maybe he could have deniability if the media allowed him. I come back to all lockdowns are taken without scientific facts, but by twitter sentiments talking about their grandmothers or their family member the "front line worker", and media punishing politicians for not shutting down.

I am sympathetic to healthcare workers, but that's a problem with a system that has been underfunded for years due to mismanagement. A shutdown of the economy is not going to help them.

It's crap like this that is causing COVID spread, not business shutdown.
https://www.680news.com/2020/12/13/toro ... gulations/
Last edited by dealzuser on Dec 13th, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4964 posts
4008 upvotes
dealzuser wrote: So let's test this theory of whether you are brainwashed by mass media bias. I'll post from Mass Media, not "fringe" media so that you won't say I'm posting "fake" news.

1) What does Trump have to do with the German Pfizer vaccine or UK Oxford vaccine?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/operatio ... -1.5806820

Excerpt
"No doubt, Operation Warp Speed is a huge success," said Tinglong Dai, associate professor of Operations Management and Business Analytics at Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School in Baltimore.

"You can like or hate the Trump administration, but no doubt, it's a huge success — unprecedented success."
Indeed, Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine development and manufacturing costs have been entirely funded by the company. However, it did strike a deal with Operation Warp Speed for the U.S. government to buy about $2 billion of its vaccine, or 100 million doses, once it gets approved.

"Pfizer is a very large company with substantial cash reserves," Goodman said. "I'm sure that [OWS] was helpful. I'm not sure about [whether] it wouldn't have happened without it."


So if one is objective, one can attribute some good to the Trump administration.

Off topic comment RE Trump and media hysteria / misinformation campaign against him. My friend actually says - just name 1 thing that Trump has done that is good. Talk about brainwashed. Trump is not a good guy. He is narcissistic, dishonest, and for sure I would not look for these qualities in my friends or family. But Trump and his administration has done a lot of good. I was objecting to this statement previous to my post - " the terrorist government led by Donald Trump." Reality is the Trump Administration brought more peace to the middle east than any other US administration. Trump administration is the only one in modern history that did not start a war. (Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama). To call Trump government "terrorist" indicates lack of objectivity that most of the public now has.
So you are saying Pfizer is lying?

So straight facts coming out of the party involved (Pfizer) is not enough? So Pfizer saying they took zero money and don't participate in warpspeed is a lie?

Kathrin Jansen, a senior vice president and the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, said, “We were never part of the Warp Speed,” adding, “we have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”

The government had a different type of contract with Pfizer than with other companies involved with Operation Warp Speed. Pfizer was the only company that did not take government money for research and development, which meant U.S. officials have had less insight into its decisions than it does with the other companies, said a senior administration official familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
And Pfizer has said US ordered vaccines too late and will get less dosage per capita than Canada by end of 2020 and into second quarter of 2021

End of 2nd quarter of 2021 for 50m doses for US... that's very different than 40m doses by end of 2020 as you claim?
Pfizer said the company might be able to provide 50 million doses at the end of the second quarter, and another 50 million doses in the third quarter, the individuals said.

It was only last weekend, with a Food and Drug Administration clearance expected any day, that federal officials reached back out to the company asking to buy another 100 million doses. By then, Pfizer said it had committed the supply elsewhere and suggested elevating the conversation to “a high level discussion,” said a person familiar with the talks.
Do you have retort on difference in deaths and infection rate between Canada and US that I highlighted?

Or how about how Canada doing economically much better than the US?

https://financialpost.com/news/economy/ ... d-deficits
The same is true so far of the COVID-19 crisis: Canadian employment in September was 3.7 per cent below its pre-pandemic level, while the gap in the U.S. was about seven per cent. That’s enough for economists at Canada’s second-biggest bank to conclude that it’s time to check our assumptions.

“In a world of simple analysis, three times is a trend,” they said in their report, which was published on Oct. 20.
Funny how you have zero retorts to stats (or is this too mainstream) about your false claims
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1188 posts
151 upvotes
I am not saying Pfizer is lying. I also did not say Pfizer got funded by OWS. I am saying Pfizer benefited from Operation Warp Speed. Look at the article. The US order allowed them to have guaranteed funding to do development.

Moderna got funding from OWS. Many companies did. But because OWS is from Trump Administration, it must have failed? :)


What false claim did I make? I am confused. I posted an article from the CBC where people who know more than I ever could made claims. If you don't believe them, what can I say.

Top