Shopping Discussion

** AIRMILES MEGAMILES 2020 - August 13th thru September 10th, 2020 — Announcement Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 4:35 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
It was so much better last year :(
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Rob_EV wrote: It was so much better last year :(
How can you say that ?

When ... the BIG BONUS AMOUNTS are exactly the same as 2019
* 3 Partners = 300 BIG BONUS BAMs
* 5 Partners = 1000 BIG BONUS BAMs

Plus, as of right now ... we haven’t even seen the offers yet
They’ll not be revealed until August 13th @ 12:01 AM
https://airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/coming_soon
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
PointsHubby wrote: How can you say that ?

When ... the BIG BONUS AMOUNTS are exactly the same as 2019
* 3 Partners = 300 BIG BONUS BAMs
* 5 Partners = 1000 BIG BONUS BAMs

Plus, as of right now ... we haven’t even seen the offers yet
They’ll not be revealed until August 13th @ 12:01 AM
https://airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/coming_soon
I must be remembering wrong........I remember up to 1250 bonus for some promos.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Rob_EV wrote: I must be remembering wrong........I remember up to 1250 bonus for some promos.
That was MegaMiles 2018 (March / April 2018 )
So 2+ years ago
* 3 Partners = 650 BIG BONUS BAMs
* 5 Partners = 1250 BIG BONUS BAMs

BIG BONUS Events can differ in amounts ... cuz a lot depends on WHICH PARTNER(s) Step Up to be the primary Sponsor(s)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
The last time I participated I was supposed to get 1000 BAM but they only gave me 300 and I didn't bother to fight anymore, AM is becoming such a PITA to participate without jumping through hoops to get them now.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gumby wrote: The last time I participated I was supposed to get 1000 BAM but they only gave me 300 and I didn't bother to fight anymore, AM is becoming such a PITA to participate without jumping through hoops to get them now.
It happens ...

BUT, I do find it rare / rarer if you actually READ everything ahead of time
(I NEVER do any offers until after the first weekend)
And then FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS to a tee

Plus there are some PROBLEMATIC Retailers I just DONT BOTHER WITH / COUNT ON .. esp on Airmiles Shops.ca
(Like Amazon, EBay, Staples, etc)

Haven’t missed out on BIG BONUS MILES for eons / years
Nor has anyone I have helped / coached thru their first BIG BONUS Events
Jan 15, 2014
477 posts
1153 upvotes
Westmount
Please note, this must be one offer per partner.
Each, a different partner
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
joblop wrote: Please note, this must be one offer per partner.
Each, a different partner
Yes, with the way the Announcement is written
WE ASSUME ... it’s a case of PARTNER COUNTS (vs Offer Counts)
That one must collect to qualify for the BIG BONUS BAMs

But until the actual event is fully launched
And we see the T&Cs
Then it’s all conjecture on our part
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
@PointsHubby, why not you become Mod?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: @PointsHubby, why not you become Mod?
RFD Mod ?
Not interested

RFD Airmiles MegaMiles 2020 Sub Forum Host (I assume that’s what you really are referring to )
Yes, I will be again.
But the Sub Forum won’t open officially until the event Is launched by AirMiles on August 13th

That’s how these RFD AirMiles Sub Forums work

Until then ...
We got this thread to ponder the event
And what it might offer
Jul 13, 2015
256 posts
117 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: Thanks for this

So I take it this will be the OPT IN BMO AMs MC CC MegaMiles 2020 Offer.

Whether to activate it
OR
Even Whether to participate in Mega:Miles 2020
Will come down to a personal choice

Yes, it’s true due to the Covid Situation, Airmiles has EXTENDED whatever Status was EARNED IN 2019 and is effect in 2020, for an additional year until December 31, 2021

This is nice

But it sure isn’t gonna stop me from participating in collecting AirMiles in 2020, or participating in BIG BONUS Events like MegaMiles in August & September or Shop The Block in November & December.

As I look at Bonus Events ... not only as a chance to earn Annual Status ... but thru participating I am able to add to my AMs Accounts literally THOUSANDS OF AIRMILES in short order. Nothing else annually compares to these earning opportunities. Where every 1000 AMs = $ 105.26 CDN (based on the Cash Miles Standard of 95 AMs = $ 10 Value)

And in my world, where I am a STRATEGY SHOPPER ... these represent miles that would come with shopping I would be doing anyhow ... for late summer / back to school / fall prep / Christmas & Holiday Season

If I am gonna be shopping for stuff i need ... I sure as heck ain’t gonna intentionally leave Loyalty Miles or Points on the table ... for things I would be buying from these stores anyhow.

Obtaining / Retaining Status is truly secondary.

In fact, it’s more like a perk if one is a Points Hound vs strictly motivation
Likewise.

We have been able to do several cheap renovations to our home through the use of cash miles. We have found tremendous value in accumulating them throughout the year, and then adding a good chunk through these occasional bonus events. We time our purchases so that we can take advantage of 5 offers on my account (mostly I have BMO AM WE MC), and we can generally do the 3 offer bonus quite easily for my wife's account.

We are currently saving miles towards a patio door... less than $100 away from it being completely free at this point! Just waiting for it to hopefully line up so that the door goes on sale during Mega Miles AND we can take advantage of multiple partner offers at once (BMO + Rona).
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2807 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
gumby wrote: The last time I participated I was supposed to get 1000 BAM but they only gave me 300 and I didn't bother to fight anymore, AM is becoming such a PITA to participate without jumping through hoops to get them now.
I keep a spreadsheet for these events, listing each offer I use, with name of retailer, date offer used, amount spent before tax, and reward the offer promised. I also keep the receipts, but by the time the bonus miles are posted, months later, they're hard to find and the ink is faded, so I never end up using them. I'm often rewarded less than I should have been, but a quick visit to chat, with my spreadsheet open and an offer to send them evidence of my purchase on my credit card statement, if necessary (they have never taken me up on the offer) resolves the issue in minutes. I have even been thanked for keeping such good records, and the spreadsheet, appropriately named, is easy to find months later.

Airmiles can be a PITA, but I find it's worse for everyday purchases, for which I am not inclined to make a spreadsheet.
Voted RFD Most Helpful/Knowledgeable User in 2008

SDM mini-FAQ
*GCs don't count as a purchase for SDM promotions.
*The maximtum you can redeem at once is $500.
*For best value, get points with SDM promos, spend them at grocery stores.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8513 posts
6259 upvotes
Also, I found sometime, some offers may have problem on the first day of their offers (i.e Shell offer or Sobeys GC offer), so to be sure, you can wait until RFD fellows reporting of success before doing your offers
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Cyanne wrote:
I keep a spreadsheet for these events, listing each offer I use, with name of retailer, date offer used, amount spent before tax, and reward the offer promised. I also keep the receipts, but by the time the bonus miles are posted, months later, they're hard to find and the ink is faded, so I never end up using them. I'm often rewarded less than I should have been, but a quick visit to chat, with my spreadsheet open and an offer to send them evidence of my purchase on my credit card statement, if necessary (they have never taken me up on the offer) resolves the issue in minutes. I have even been thanked for keeping such good records, and the spreadsheet, appropriately named, is easy to find months later.

Airmiles can be a PITA, but I find it's worse for everyday purchases, for which I am not inclined to make a spreadsheet.
mkl38s wrote: Also, I found sometime, some offers may have problem on the first day of their offers (i.e Shell offer or Sobeys GC offer), so to be sure, you can wait until RFD fellows reporting of success before doing your offers
Both of these are EXCELLENT TIPS

And are on the TIPS LIST every time there is an AMs BIG BONUS event

Thing is some folks don’t read them

I personally, find that a lot of people who run into issues it’s cuz they got so excited about the event, and hope to get it done as quickly as possible, that they jump onboard ... before READING all the necessary background info. Too many folks for example ... skip out on the Official Website Coupons / Offers READING the full instructions on the back of each offer ... they just go out and shop ... perhaps by not using a coupon where needed, buying the wrong sized item, or just going straight to the partners website for their purchase ... and not thru the Event’s Shopping Portal that is linked thru on the coupon / offer itself (ie on the MegaMiles website )

They get frustrated, and upset when they don’t get the miles they expected to POST
Which are needed for the PARTNER COUNTS
Or they miss out on the BIG BONUS Miles
And then have to wait out perhaps the 120 Days AFTER THE EVENT to get them added manually

All a headache

History shows me ... the more you READ & FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
The better the experience
And the Miles you anticipate POST as expected
(Sure occasionally there are glitches ... but they are usually computer crap that effects everyone ... like the OPT IN Mess with a Shell Offer in 2019 )
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
I will do the screen shot of all stuff that I purchased for the big promo events like MM, STB etc + spreadsheet from @Cyanne suggestion.

I am using Google Sheet to make my shopping list on my PC browser stored at Google Drive. I can access to my spreadsheets using Google Sheet app on my phone.
Last edited by embguy on Aug 2nd, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
embguy wrote: I will do the screen shot of all stuff that I purchased for the big promo events like MM, STB etc + spreadsheet from @Cyanne suggestion.

I am using Google Sheet to make my shopping list on my PC browser stored at Google Drive. I can access to my spreadsheets using Google Sheet app on my phone.
FYI ... Need to edit your post to remove the Bonus Boom Question ... as this is a MegaMiles thread
Lol, don’t muddy the MMs waters eh Winking Face

You should ask that question in the regular AirMiles MegaThread
airmiles-2020-rfd-cus-general-discussio ... m-2346352/

UPDATE - Reply quote ... updated to reflect the change made by @embguy . Thx kind sir
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 2nd, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Done. @PointsHubby Please remove your post or edit your post.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)