Travel

Airmiles vs aeroplan

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2009 6:44 am
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
1 posts

Airmiles vs aeroplan

So just thought I would ask... if I don't have an airmiles or aeroplan plan right now, which one is better?

Anybody have any opinions? I think airmiles are closer to real miles whereas aeroplan will give you thousands... but beyond that I'd like to know which direction I would be better off going...
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1902 posts
81 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I have both an Air Miles and Aeroplan account, but I haven't redeemed them so far....

I have at least 1100 Air Miles reward miles and only 6,000 Aeroplan miles.
If you want to redeem flights using Aeroplan, you can do so - providing if you have a minimum of 15,000 aeroplan miles.

For air miles, it's half of that. That's the best information I can think of.

Hope this helps.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12352 posts
2520 upvotes
Mississauga
They're both free programs to sign up for so you might as well join both. Retailers will accept one or the other but never both.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
738 upvotes
Really they are not equal programs....

AirMiles is a general program; whereas, Aeroplan is designed as a frequent flyer program.

If you do fly, then Aeroplan is a far better program. If not, I'd probably stick to airmiles.

This year I redeemed a years worth of collecting for two tickets from Toronto to Beijing to Singapore to Toronto (could have added HK, but did not have enough time). If I priced out the route manually for the days we were flying the fare was close to 4500 each.

But if you don't fly, collecting will take forever and if you fly within Canada, you will get hit with the taxes anyway....
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36251 posts
10444 upvotes
Ottawa
nalababe wrote: Really they are not equal programs....

AirMiles is a general program; whereas, Aeroplan is designed as a frequent flyer program.

If you do fly, then Aeroplan is a far better program. If not, I'd probably stick to airmiles.

This year I redeemed a years worth of collecting for two tickets from Toronto to Beijing to Singapore to Toronto (could have added HK, but did not have enough time). If I priced out the route manually for the days we were flying the fare was close to 4500 each.

But if you don't fly, collecting will take forever and if you fly within Canada, you will get hit with the taxes anyway....
Actually, if you get a CIBC credit card you can accumulate Aeroplan miles in a hurry. 1 mile for every dollar and when there are promotions, you can get more. Of course, you get them for flying Air Canada as well. So, I get points when I buy the ticket and when I fly as well.
The blue Airmiles card you get 1 mile for as much as every 20 dollars spent. Sometimes less but generally it is that.
With Aeroplan, you can save up more points and go business or first class. Airmiles does not have that option (neither does Avion).
You need to pay the taxes on both.