Alamo car rental - great experience

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2019 11:16 am
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
438 posts
245 upvotes

Alamo car rental - great experience

Everyone posts their complaints. I want to give a shout out to Alamo where they provided GREAT service.

Recently rented from Alamo (via CostcoTravel) in Lihue, Kauai airport location. Long lines upon arrival but I digress...

Got a flat tire on last day and called Alamo. They sent a tow truck out and charged me $70USD for it. Upon return (to exchange the car as we had the rest of the day before the flight) they only asked if the rim was damaged. No charge for repair of the flat. Later on I found out that they also canceled the $70 charge.

Wow. I had declined all insurance and was prepared to pay for it. Impressed. Would rent from them again.
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36063 posts
10158 upvotes
Ottawa
Temujin1 wrote: Everyone posts their complaints. I want to give a shout out to Alamo where they provided GREAT service.

Recently rented from Alamo (via CostcoTravel) in Lihue, Kauai airport location. Long lines upon arrival but I digress...

Got a flat tire on last day and called Alamo. They sent a tow truck out and charged me $70USD for it. Upon return (to exchange the car as we had the rest of the day before the flight) they only asked if the rim was damaged. No charge for repair of the flat. Later on I found out that they also canceled the $70 charge.

Wow. I had declined all insurance and was prepared to pay for it. Impressed. Would rent from them again.
Great but, not to burst your bubble but that is what is supposed to happen. The charge was probably to the service truck operator.
I have also had issues with a rental car and they sent a service (tow) truck to fix it and I had to pay up front and the rental company reimbursed.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
438 posts
245 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Great but, not to burst your bubble but that is what is supposed to happen. The charge was probably to the service truck operator.
I have also had issues with a rental car and they sent a service (tow) truck to fix it and I had to pay up front and the rental company reimbursed.
Actually, I don't think so. It was very specific that since I had declined roadside that there was a $70 USD charge to be borne by me (directly from Alamo who in turn would pay the tow truck company).

If yours was a mechanical breakdown (engine failure for example) I could understand them taking care of it because I would expect a mechanically sound car. I wouldn't expect me running over an object and getting a flat tire (clearly not their fault) to be taken care of by them as "what's supposed to happen". But like I said, never happened to me before, was pleasantly surprised and am grateful.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10359 posts
585 upvotes
New-Brunswick
I know that in Orlando Alamo is so much cheaper than the other companies while at the same time being better in every way. My last trip there it was amusing because there was about 5 times more people at the Alamo line than every other rental place put together. They are also not so picky on things like damage and their fuel cost (for the lazy ones like me who don't fill up) was about half what everyone else charged. I don't know if this is Orlando only but I like how unlike other places who give you a key with Alamo they send you to the parking lot where you show the attendant your receipt and they direct you to the line of cars where you pick what you want to drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4937 posts
537 upvotes
Victoria
In these situations it's always nice to send in a note to management about specific employees who helped you out here. I try and do that when I can because I'm sure it helps them out.
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5395 posts
2498 upvotes
gulfstream
Pete_Coach wrote: Great but, not to burst your bubble but that is what is supposed to happen. The charge was probably to the service truck operator.
I think that actual extra charge is a gouge...since most if not all rentals are new cars..they would be covered under a roadside warranty as almost all cars have...but I do know that CAA's "club assist" division has roadside agreements with quite few rental agency's and will send a truck and it will be covered
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36063 posts
10158 upvotes
Ottawa
cardguy wrote: I think that actual extra charge is a gouge...since most if not all rentals are new cars..they would be covered under a roadside warranty as almost all cars have...but I do know that CAA's "club assist" division has roadside agreements with quite few rental agency's and will send a truck and it will be covered
Fleet vehicles are not eligible good roadside assistance.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.