Home & Garden

Alarm System & LTE Communicator

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 5:59 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2020
5 posts

Alarm System & LTE Communicator

Hi guys,

I am designing an alarm system which will use as a main central panel a DSC HS2032 card.
The entire system will be wired, including all the sensors.

The main problem I am facing is the communication, in fact, all the communicators for pro-systems are designed to be monitored by a monitoring company.
Well, I want to self-monitor my system in case the alarm is triggered by any of my sensors.

Basically, if one of the wired sensors is triggered, I want to use 4G/LTE cellular communication to send an SMS and/or voice call to my cell number + some additional numbers.
Of course, if my number is busy, it should automatically call the next number and so on.

Currently, I cannot find anything on the market ready made to do what I am asking, at least not for DSC.
In fact, you only find modules that provide SMS/Voice communication via the Internet only, which is totally insecure.
I would be willing to change the alarm system panel to any other professional brand, it does not have to be a DSC, however I was unable to find a cell communicator to personal cell phones, so far.

I came to the conclusion that the only way to resolve this issue, is by using a SIM card module with Raspberry Pi or Arduino.
My only concern is if any of the two just said cards can be connected to the HS2032 to 'read' the door sensors and the PIRs.
DC Power is not an issue, but I cannot figure out how the Raspberry/Arduino card should be connected to the HS2032 to get the sensor information that would trigger the card to call my cell phone.

Any recommendation is very welcome.

Thank you,
Alex
8 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
753 posts
1151 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I use this for enabling the system on the internet. I then get an LTE voice gateway with a speakout pay as you go sim card to make outbound cell calls and attach it to the alarm system for dial outs.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eyez-Envisalink-R ... B016WQTJ4S

The envisalink will work excellent with this Android software.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rver&hl=en
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2020
5 posts
fordmaple wrote: I use this for enabling the system on the internet. I then get an LTE voice gateway with a speakout pay as you go sim card to make outbound cell calls and attach it to the alarm system for dial outs.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eyez-Envisalink-R ... B016WQTJ4S

The envisalink will work excellent with this Android software.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rver&hl=en
The EVL4 does not work with the HS2032, but it could work with the PC1832.

The issue with that card is that if your Internet is cut, there will be no communication at all.
Also, the EVL4 does not send voice messages. as far as I know, but to me the main issue is the Internet.

I am looking for something that is totally independent from the Internet and works regardless, simply by using the cellular method (LTE/4G).

Thank you,
Alex
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
753 posts
1151 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Metallo wrote: The EVL4 does not work with the HS2032, but it could work with the PC1832.

The issue with that card is that if your Internet is cut, there will be no communication at all.
Also, the EVL4 does not send voice messages. as far as I know, but to me the main issue is the Internet.

I am looking for something that is totally independent from the Internet and works regardless, simply by using the cellular method (LTE/4G).

Thank you,
Alex
You could use a smartphone with a hotspot and connect the evl4 with a wifi bridge to it. Then install the android software mentioned. It can send txt messages and you can use the app to monitor as well as use as a remote keypad. I have the EVL4 with the Android software mentioned and it works AWESOME! If someone cuts my internet, you could either leverage the hotspot or an LTE voice gateway or sms txt. This will provide redundant communications in the event someone cuts your line on the outside of the house. (I have this setup with self monitoring) That said, I'm not aware of any module that offers voice messages though it's possible it exits (just I don't know about it)
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2020
5 posts
fordmaple wrote: You could use a smartphone with a hotspot and connect the evl4 with a wifi bridge to it. Then install the android software mentioned. It can send txt messages and you can use the app to monitor as well as use as a remote keypad. I have the EVL4 with the Android software mentioned and it works AWESOME! If someone cuts my internet, you could either leverage the hotspot or an LTE voice gateway or sms txt. This will provide redundant communications in the event someone cuts your line on the outside of the house. (I have this setup with self monitoring) That said, I'm not aware of any module that offers voice messages though it's possible it exits (just I don't know about it)

Let me make sure I understood well.
This would imply an additional smartphone with data plan, I guess?

Alex
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
753 posts
1151 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
How were you hoping to have protection against a cut line outside your home without an additional cell plan? At the very least you could have a pay as you go plan like speakout for the whole year at $25 and only receive txt messages. if the line outside is cut you'd get a txt message. Your smartphone could be connected to your home wifi. Think it through.....you could achieve complete detailed monitoring with the ELV4 and home broadband. If line is cut, the smartphone would txt you alarm issues like what zone is in alarm and whether its been restored, ppower failures....etc.

I personally upgraded from an 832 to an 864 and did all my wired install as well as home automation. I'd strongly suggest getting something compatible with ELV4 for any type of self monitoring. I've researched this to death...haha. Good luck.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2020
5 posts
I know, but a data plan to me is different from a 'pay as you go' from speakout, which is in fact, min. 25$/year, more reasonable.
  • Are you powering your phone from the PC1832board directly?
  • How do you get the EVL4 to switch to the smartphone if the Internet is cut?
  • Do you have to configure it somewhere or does the EVL4 do it automatically?
Thank you,
Alex
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
753 posts
1151 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I use a samsung S6 plugged in with a normal charger. The phone last 4 days on battery without charging and screen off. That said the phone is in my office which is on UPS so i can easily have 7+ days of battery power. The application on the smartphone connects to the EVL4 and does the monitoring, remote keypad, txt and email. You can configure the application to email or send you SMS txt. Email requires data or Wifi broadband. The EVL4 can also be monitored for free by the Eyezon website if you so choose. Txt is native to the phone. TXT is ALWAYS enabled on smartphones. All smartphones can be configured to automatically switch to a data plan if wifi internet becomes unavailable.

DSC panel ----> EVL4 -----> home network ---> wifi router/ap ----> smartphone -----> DSC Smartphone application ----> outbound txt/email and remote keypad.

The connectivity between the EVL4 and your smartphone is your internal home network.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 18, 2020
5 posts
Thank you for the information.
I will definitely look more in detail at your solution, I should downgrade to the PC1832 rather than using the HS2032, but it might be the only option for me.

Unless somebody else tells me that it is possible to use Arduino with the HS2032.

Stay well!
Alex

Top