Automotive

Alberta Lien from previous owner on the title, bought it from Land Rover Dealer!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 10:58 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2012
9 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO

Alberta Lien from previous owner on the title, bought it from Land Rover Dealer!

Bought a CPO Range Rover Autobiography back in March. 2017 from Budds Imported Cars. When i'm trying to trade in the car with another dealership it showed a Lien from Alberta from previous owner!?!?!
I though they have to sell me a car free of lien by law?!?!?
Tried to contact the preowned manager to solve the problem, he did nothing and told me the car is clean, the only lien is my lien which is from scitoabank. I went back to the Porsche dealer that i'm buying the new car from, they did an investigation with carfax, alberta registry and ran several report from UCDA the Alberta Lien is active.
I went back to Budds and talked to the same pre owned manager, he finally started to work on the case, waited more than 2 weeks, no result and he basically told me there's nothing he can do and i should call the Lien Holder myself?
I called OMVIC they gave me the general manager's email, i send an email to him, he apologize and ask the pre owned manager to work on my case again.
Another week has passed, still no result. I sent the general manager another email telling him i have a refinance deal closing on the end of the month, i need the lien to be cleared so i can get rid of the car. The pre owned manager sent me an email right after telling me stop sending email to the general manager?!?! I have no word to say but to file a complaint with OMVIC.
The important massage is: Spend $54.95+tax on a carfax report + lien check yourself when you get your car, they'll check lien from all the province in Canada. You'll thank me later!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4080 posts
3407 upvotes
Oakville, ON
icerain29 wrote: Bought a CPO Range Rover Autobiography back in March. 2017 from Budds Imported Cars. When i'm trying to trade in the car with another dealership it showed a Lien from Alberta from previous owner!?!?!
I though they have to sell me a car free of lien by law?!?!?
Tried to contact the preowned manager to solve the problem, he did nothing and told me the car is clean, the only lien is my lien which is from scitoabank. I went back to the Porsche dealer that i'm buying the new car from, they did an investigation with carfax, alberta registry and ran several report from UCDA the Alberta Lien is active.
I went back to Budds and talked to the same pre owned manager, he finally started to work on the case, waited more than 2 weeks, no result and he basically told me there's nothing he can do and i should call the Lien Holder myself?
I called OMVIC they gave me the general manager's email, i send an email to him, he apologize and ask the pre owned manager to work on my case again.
Another week has passed, still no result. I sent the general manager another email telling him i have a refinance deal closing on the end of the month, i need the lien to be cleared so i can get rid of the car. The pre owned manager sent me an email right after telling me stop sending email to the general manager?!?! I have no word to say but to file a complaint with OMVIC.
The important massage is: Spend $54.95+tax on a carfax report + lien check yourself when you get your car, they'll check lien from all the province in Canada. You'll thank me later!
You mentioned that your purchase was in March 2017, but didn’t mention if the Alberta lien was placed against the vehicle before or after your purchase?

Have you provided the documentation to OMVIC? That should be enough to open a formal complaint for them to officially investigate themselves. Sounds like Budds may not be taking you seriously assuming if it was legit then they’d be talking to OMVIC instead.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6346 posts
1984 upvotes
BC
One possibility is that the lien was discharged at the time Budd's acquired the Range Rover but it never got removed from the Alberta Registry.

Not likely that an established automotive group with multiple brands would acquire inventory through auction or otherwise without checking liens.

So when they CPO'd it and sold it to you they were probably depending on evidence that the lien had been paid out.

If this was the case, who should be responsible now for getting the record corrected is up for debate. Previous owner, Budd's or current owner.

OTOH, it is odd that the Pre-owned Sales Manager is getting bent out of shape after you escalated the issue.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2012
9 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
CanadianLurker wrote: You mentioned that your purchase was in March 2017, but didn’t mention if the Alberta lien was placed against the vehicle before or after your purchase?

Have you provided the documentation to OMVIC? That should be enough to open a formal complaint for them to officially investigate themselves. Sounds like Budds may not be taking you seriously assuming if it was legit then they’d be talking to OMVIC instead.
I have no idea there is an Alberta Lien on the car until I was informed by the Dealer that I'm trying to traded in last month.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2012
9 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
macnut wrote: One possibility is that the lien was discharged at the time Budd's acquired the Range Rover but it never got removed from the Alberta Registry.

Not likely that an established automotive group with multiple brands would acquire inventory through auction or otherwise without checking liens.

So when they CPO'd it and sold it to you they were probably depending on evidence that the lien had been paid out.

If this was the case, who should be responsible now for getting the record corrected is up for debate. Previous owner, Budd's or current owner.

OTOH, it is odd that the Pre-owned Sales Manager is getting bent out of shape after you escalated the issue.
I called everyone, but there's nothing I can do due to the privacy act. The only one that can deal with the issue is the previous owner (which I don't even know who the person is) or Budds Imported Cars.
Obviously I trust them when I bought the car, the are the biggest Land Rover Dealership in Canada.
The Lien is active and was registered on the car back in 2014. It was confirmed with Carfax investigation, Alberta Registry, and UCDA Registry Search.
So somebody in the dealership made a big mistake when they so me the car. They probably missed because it's out of the province.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4846 posts
3339 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I would definitely escalate. Tell the dealer they have a strict 3 day deadline to get it resolved and if no action, you’ll file a complaint with OMVIC and contact a lawyer.

If the loan is paid out, the bank should be able to discharge the lien. If it’s not, then that’s the big issue. Dealer probably have to pay it out from their own pocket.

Best case, they can’t do it, and they’ll have to void the sales agreement and you just got 3 years of use for free lol.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4080 posts
3407 upvotes
Oakville, ON
icerain29 wrote: I have no idea there is an Alberta Lien on the car until I was informed by the Dealer that I'm trying to traded in last month.
Get a copy of whatever the have that shows there’s a lien - carfax report I assume. Carefully compare your actual VIN to the VIN in the carfax or lien search to confirm it’s really your vehicle and not an incorrect hit. There’s no privacy reasons to refuse to give you a copy of the results of their search.

Once you verify you can send it off to OMVIC + Budds so they have something in writing that proves the issue.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2012
9 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
Just received an email from the general manager the lien is cleared. i'll ask the porsche dealer to do another search tmr.
6 hrs after i file a complaint with omvic
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44210 posts
7271 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
icerain29 wrote: Just received an email from the general manager the lien is cleared. i'll ask the porsche dealer to do another search tmr.
6 hrs after i file a complaint with omvic
If they fixed it, why file a complaint? Seems more like a screw up to be fixed. Rather then outright fraud or unethical practice. Perhaps bad customer service.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1381 posts
293 upvotes
ORLEANS
UrbanPoet wrote: If they fixed it, why file a complaint? Seems more like a screw up to be fixed. Rather then outright fraud or unethical practice. Perhaps bad customer service.
I think he means, budds GM sent him the email 6 hours later after he filed the complaint