Off Topic

Alberta test asymptomatic people; results shocking.

[OP]
Feb 14, 2010
422 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto

Alberta test asymptomatic people; results shocking.

So I hear on the radio that Calgary tested about 3000 asymptomatic people and found that about 100 were positive. These are people that think they are not carrying the virus but was shock to find out they tested positive. Think about the amount of people you see or walk by everyday. Basically out of the 100 people 3.33 are positive and don't know it. It could be your coworker, sister in law, cashier at Dollarama, enforcement officer at the park etc...
The 3 million people in Toronto 100000 are positive. That's a lot of people. Very scary.

Here is another article I found on Google.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6961600/coro ... g-results/

Doug Ford the premier of Ontario is begging anyone and everyone to get tested. Maybe he knows this virus can not be stopped in our type of society.
Last edited by thelastword on May 24th, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1022 posts
383 upvotes
thelastword wrote: So I hear on the radio that Calgary tested about 3000 asymptomatic people and found that about 100 were positive. These are people that think they are not carrying the virus but was shock to find out they tested positive. Think about the amount of people you see or walk by everyday. Basically out of the 100 people 3.33 are positive and don't know it. It could be your coworker, sister in law, cashier at Dollarama, enforcement officer at the park etc...
The 3 million people in Toronto 100000 are positive. That's a lot of people. Very scary.

How is that scary? This means the virus is more prevalent than we thought and therefore, statistically, the hospitalization and mortality rates must be way lower than published data. Bringing this closer to the same stats as the flu. Why are we hiding from it?!
[OP]
Feb 14, 2010
422 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
mcbg1 wrote: Why are we hiding from it?!
I also question myself why are we hiding from the virus. Just open the economy and let it spread. Lock up the most vulnerable people
Last edited by thelastword on May 24th, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
16262 posts
2010 upvotes
Out west
thelastword wrote: So I hear on the radio that Calgary tested about 3000 asymptomatic people and found that about 100 were positive. These are people that think they are not carrying the virus but was shock to find out they tested positive. Think about the amount of people you see or walk by everyday. Basically out of the 100 people 3.33 are positive and don't know it. It could be your coworker, sister in law, cashier at Dollarama, enforcement officer at the park etc...

And? Want to crawl into a hole and die. Move to the sticks away from everything, then you will be safe. But you will die anyway because you wont know how to survive out of the city

Hell, it could be me.

And basically, if 3000 asymptomatic people were tested, then 3000 would be carrying the virus

"In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms."

Want to spread more fear, get your shit straight
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1836 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think that is shocking at all but wish the number was a lot higher.

A lot lower than other countries that have done asymptomatic testing.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1586 posts
286 upvotes
BC
I think he means that old age people, or anybody, for that matter, can get infected from asymptomatic people. A lot of kids carry the virus but show no signs. But they can still infect people.
An asymptomatic entering an old age home can infect a lot of people.
Personally I wouldn't get too complacent, even though I'm young. My neighbor, down the street, got it at 35 years of age and, a month later, although recovered still has dizzy spells and an ugly rash all over his upper chest and back.
This virus affects people differently.
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1022 posts
383 upvotes
insync44 wrote: I think he means that old age people, or anybody, for that matter, can get infected from asymptomatic people. A lot of kids carry the virus but show no signs. But they can still infect people.
An asymptomatic entering an old age home can infect a lot of people.
Personally I wouldn't get too complacent, even though I'm young. My neighbor, down the street, got it at 35 years of age and, a month later, although recovered still has dizzy spells and an ugly rash all over his upper chest and back.
This virus affects people differently.
This is why the people at the highest risk should be the ones protected and then the rest of society can go on and enjoy their lives. Anyway, the longer we stretch out the virus' spread, the longer we will be in trouble from associated consequences. Lockdowns cause more harm than good to society.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5557 posts
739 upvotes
Calgary
thelastword wrote: These are people that think they are not carrying the virus but was shock to find out they tested positive.
I don't think that's what it means.
It just means people can be asymptomatic carrier. Those people still have to had contact with someone else who got the virus to become asymptomatic carriers. Whatever things we need to do to keep each other safe still the same, wash hands, wear mask, no large gathering, etc...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5771 posts
979 upvotes
cardle wrote: I don't think that is shocking at all but wish the number was a lot higher.

A lot lower than other countries that have done asymptomatic testing.
I think you mean the antibody test which shows how many have had it...in a lot of places it's many multiples of actual case numbers
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Nov 14, 2012
296 posts
138 upvotes
So 3.3% people are infectious. Consider that average timeframe for detectable virus in the body is 2 weeks and virus has been around in Canada for 10 weeks or longer, we may say that some 15+ % of population have had it.

Plus there is a promising cure that can reduce the virus by 99.8% within 48hrs. The anti-lice medication Ivermectin, who would have thought? Billy Van Gates must be furious.
Last edited by ramon2 on May 24th, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Feb 29, 2008
11769 posts
6915 upvotes
thelastword wrote: I also question myself why are we hiding from the virus. Just open the economy and let it spread. Lock up the most vulnerable people
It may be too late to salvage the economy right now.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24364 posts
3015 upvotes
Montreal
rb wrote: I think you mean the antibody test which shows how many have had it...in a lot of places it's many multiples of actual case numbers
No. Antibody studies performed even in places where the virus ran amok like Spain and Sweden barely show 5-7% are positive. Contrary to popular belief there aren't millions of people infected. The iceberg is not as deep as you think.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5771 posts
979 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: No. Antibody studies performed even in places where the virus ran amok like Spain and Sweden barely show 5-7% are positive. Contrary to popular belief there aren't millions of people infected. The iceberg is not as deep as you think.
5% for Spain is 2+ million their official count is what 300k so at least 7 times the official count ..in places like Madrid wassnt it much higher?
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5268 posts
1253 upvotes
Toronto
thelastword wrote: The 3 million people in Toronto 100000 are positive. That's a lot of people. Very scary.
Uh.. what? That's the exact opposite of scary. It means the virus is much less dangerous than we think it is.

The median covid death age in Canada is 84, and more than 80% of deaths have happened in long-term care homes. The virus poses no real danger to the average person, and this data just helps to confirm that. We should be protecting those at risk - not just blanket locking everyone inside their houses.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8403 posts
2206 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
ramon2 wrote: Plus there is a promising cure that can reduce the virus by 99.8% within 48hrs. The anti-lice medication Ivermectin, who would have thought? Billy Van Gates must be furious.
Is this the same Ivermectin?
A new paper published on the preprint server medRxiv in April 2020 shows that the use of the already approved drug ivermectin in clinical trials to treat severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is not feasible. This contradicts earlier reports of its ability to suppress the virus in vitro.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200 ... ID-19.aspx
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg