Alectra Power Rates - Daylight Robbery

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 10:52 pm
[OP]
May 1, 2020
25 posts
4 upvotes

Alectra Power Rates - Daylight Robbery

Has anyone compared this years hydro/alectra bill with last years? There is 30% increase in the bill. Astonished Face I am not sure if i am missing something here. Check attached bills for same period last year and this year. The usage is exactly the same - 1598 units. However bills differ by 30% apx. How this is a relief to the people in need?
Images
  • 2019.JPG
  • 2020.JPG
17 replies
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
Sadly, you are amongst a few of us who actually "lose out" in this "flat rate" scheme after Jul 1 due to Covid as they have jacked up non-peak rates to $0.128 vs whatever it is in the past for your provider... I completely agree this is a ripoff - I'm bracing for the same 30% increase truth be told... (yes i know about the how the rebate computation has differed, moved into diff places, etc etc etc, hence, factoring in even those changes expect a 30% increase indeed as we are mostly "off peak users")

Your rates incentivized you to use more off peak hours in the past, today, no longer the case - heck, yes, they are actually making it worst for us consumers... come Nov, you have the option to go back to time-of-day pricing in Ontario... (and yes, bec i can't do anything about it either, I'm now running my washer dryer and all power hogs in the peak hours instead of off-peak to make myself feel a bit better haha...)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
LPGA2020 wrote: Your rates incentivized you to use more off peak hours in the past, today, no longer the case - heck, yes, they are actually making it worst for us consumers... come Nov, you have the option to go back to time-of-day pricing in Ontario... (and yes, bec i can't do anything about it either, I'm now running my washer dryer and all power hogs in the peak hours instead of off-peak to make myself feel a bit better haha...)
I've always had flat-rate pricing rather than ToU, so I've always felt like I was missing out due to not being able to do the laundry etc. at night to take advantage of cheaper rates. My rates haven't changed, they're now just lower than everyone else's across the board.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1156 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
You maybe missing the fact that 2019 tou pricing was much lower than this years tou pricing. Last year the lowest in July was around $0.065, this year is was $0.101. In other words overall the electricity rate from this time last year for time of use has gone up dramatically before the flat fee rate imposed recently. This is shown in your bill that you posted.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1637 posts
963 upvotes
I recall seeing an old price forecast, possibly on the IESO website indicating that hydro prices are pretty much going to go up a minimum of 10% annually for the foreseeable future.

Definitely faster than gas prices.
MyDream1 wrote: You maybe missing the fact that 2019 tou pricing was much lower than this years tou pricing. Last year the lowest in July was around $0.065, this year is was $0.101. In other words overall the electricity rate from this time last year for time of use has gone up dramatically before the flat fee rate imposed recently. This is shown in your bill that you posted.
Feb 29, 2008
362 posts
153 upvotes
GTA
Electricity rates are set by OEB, not Alectra
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9565 posts
2182 upvotes
Somewhere
Mine was $25 cheaper compared to same month last year.
:confused:
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah looks like you are being hosed by Alectra being one of the few who lose out with the current covid-19 rates. It's hard to justify, you are paying more and the OEB is still loosing million to the majority that benefit to these new rates.

As mentioned above, on Nov 1st there will be new TOU rates and you will have the option to return to TOU or switch to tired.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6261 posts
2900 upvotes
Durham
Immortaldeal wrote: Has anyone compared this years hydro/alectra bill with last years? There is 30% increase in the bill. Astonished Face I am not sure if i am missing something here. Check attached bills for same period last year and this year. The usage is exactly the same - 1598 units. However bills differ by 30% apx. How this is a relief to the people in need?
Stop complaining. If times were normal you would be paying regular rates and you wouldn't be able to afford it.

BTW, do seniors on retired income get the benefit of a seniors discount on Hydro during normal timea? No.

We all got a break with the rates. The rates normally increase once in the spring and once in the fall. That is the norm all these years.

They kept the rates the same from last fall until June. You got a break. The slight increase is still a break because it's 24/7 .... Not split per time of use.

So take a hike and wake up.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8679 posts
4921 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
jdmfishingonly wrote: Stop complaining. If times were normal you would be paying regular rates and you wouldn't be able to afford it.

BTW, do seniors on retired income get the benefit of a seniors discount on Hydro during normal timea? No.

We all got a break with the rates. The rates normally increase once in the spring and once in the fall. That is the norm all these years.

They kept the rates the same from last fall until June. You got a break. The slight increase is still a break because it's 24/7 .... Not split per time of use.

Think someone needs to turn on AC :)

The 24/7 rate after June is not a break for those that used more electricity on off peak hours as per their usual routine.

We, our household, would actually be paying less on regular rates which have off peak savings.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
We never ran the dishwasher or washing machine on peak, but since the flat rate its free game then again who goes out anymore?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8429 posts
5309 upvotes
Mississauga
georvu wrote: We, our household, would actually be paying less on regular rates which have off peak savings.
Same here. We’ve adjusted our lifestyle to run most of our high demand appliances during off-peak times. Now I’m like eff it, it makes no difference to my wallet now.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10125 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Just checked website. So the rate the same all months all wth I been washing and drying my clothes after 7pm
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7254 posts
6426 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Stop complaining. If times were normal you would be paying regular rates and you wouldn't be able to afford it.

You need to take your own advice and wakeup

If it were normal times for hydro, he'll pay less due to his TOU, just like how majority of people who WFH are paying more under the current flat rate scheme as they would generally have AC at higher temp during day and not cooking and doing laundry etc

Eg my TOU is 88% off peak at cheapest rate but bill is higher due to flat rate.

But for those who were too dumb to figure out TOU or couldn't be bothered to lower their consumption during peak, yes this flat rate is cheaper

So did you never figure out TOU or couldn't be bothered?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7396 posts
3124 upvotes
Though I agree, it's not like anyone can do anything about it.

Go off grid if it irks you that much.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
May 12, 2003
371 posts
246 upvotes
GTA
If you were to WFH, while we had TOU in place, your bill would be 50-60% higher, if not more.

The govt, (as much as I disagree with Ford), actually made it simpler for all of us by keeping the rates constant. Does it satisfy everyone? No, but its not supposed to.

Look at the bright side, most of us are saving a bunch on not having to commute, lower gas purchases. You should factor all of those into your analysis, and not having a single point of focus.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8429 posts
5309 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm burning less gasoline and no longer eating lunches out. I think that easily offsets my increased hydro bill.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8679 posts
4921 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
mrweather wrote: I'm burning less gasoline and no longer eating lunches out. I think that easily offsets my increased hydro bill.
Yeah, fuelling up vehicles like once every month or two.

But so can complain... did not get to take advantage of lower gas prices few months ago as driving less!!
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)