Alectra utilities Mississauga (ON) surprize disconnection notice

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2018 4:36 pm
Nov 29, 2001
189 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga

Alectra utilities Mississauga (ON) surprize disconnection notice

I noticed that enersource became Alectra sometime early/mid this year (2018) ... I didn't think much of it except the strange name.
So now I didn't put 2 and 2 together that my online epost only bill that was the only delivery mechanism of hydro bill wasn't showing any bills since May 2018.
With our lives I didn't think much that the 2 billing cycles (2 month bill) were indeed missed on the online account... pretty much expecting a catch-up massive bill any day now in the epost mailbox.

Instead today there was a tardy photocopied and unaddressed open envelope with Alectra logo, in my mailbox that said 'Notice of Disconnection' with today's date!!! The letter hardly looks real as it's a faded photocopy with a handwritten account number, amount due and my address. The letter looks like photocopied off a 20 year old xerox machine with the logo hardly readable... it looks like a scam honestly.

The balance seems like what I would have expected for 2 billing cycles since May which is not concerning at all.
What concerns me is that there have been no warnings or phones calls. No transition notes in epost mailbox. no letter or paper bills or warning or arrears at all.

Has anyone else been surprized or have been caught in a 'system glitch' here.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
Alectra switched to monthly billing in May so you actually missed 5 billing cycles.

Check your voicemails of the phone number that you have on file. My mom missed 2 payments(May-June) after the switch and got a reminder call in July. Her account number changed and I never got around to visit her and update the e-payment for her online banking. Felt bad as she waited too long for me and the payment would have still been processed under the old account.

Can't help with the epost issue as I am still on paper bill and my mom is on email notice. For paper billing with the upcoming Canada post strike, companies are already sending reminders that customers are responsible for making bill payments even if mailed bills are not received due to the strike. Your situation sort of falls under this umbrella. Since winter disconnects(Nov. 15 and April 30) were banned last Nov they probably wanted you to fully pay up immediately as they don't know your true financial situation. Still a crappy situation with the disconnect notice. A normal 20 day (business day?) notice starting today means they can legally disconnect you till May 2019.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
It’s crap like this that makes me glad I still receive paper bills. Of course with Canada Post going on strike next week this may come around to bite me in the ass...

I remember getting hand-delivered Mississauga Hydro bills in the past. Back when they were bimonthly.
Nov 29, 2001
189 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
Zero phone calls or mailed letters so far. This is probably going to impact my credit but I'll worry about that later.

I will write to OEB about their lack of communication. Will deal with the balance on Monday.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6695 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
TO_raptor wrote: I noticed that enersource became Alectra sometime early/mid this year (2018) ... I didn't think much of it except the strange name.
So now I didn't put 2 and 2 together that my online epost only bill that was the only delivery mechanism of hydro bill wasn't showing any bills since May 2018.
With our lives I didn't think much that the 2 billing cycles (2 month bill) were indeed missed on the online account... pretty much expecting a catch-up massive bill any day now in the epost mailbox.

Instead today there was a tardy photocopied and unaddressed open envelope with Alectra logo, in my mailbox that said 'Notice of Disconnection' with today's date!!! The letter hardly looks real as it's a faded photocopy with a handwritten account number, amount due and my address. The letter looks like photocopied off a 20 year old xerox machine with the logo hardly readable... it looks like a scam honestly.

The balance seems like what I would have expected for 2 billing cycles since May which is not concerning at all.
What concerns me is that there have been no warnings or phones calls. No transition notes in epost mailbox. no letter or paper bills or warning or arrears at all.

Has anyone else been surprized or have been caught in a 'system glitch' here.
Do they not have option to sign up for online acct?

You could then check what bill for and perhaps also contact them.

https://myaccount.alectrautilities.com/app/register.jsp
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1568 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
Heads Up for all...I got a mail insert with my Alectra bill that changes are coming soon including changes to account number. Keep an eye on the changes and make sure payment goes to right account.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
My company does business with Alectra and this is normal operating procedure, we have a guy go around delivering these types of letters most everyday. If there was no one home, or no one answered the door the letter would be left. There should be one more letter in red (unless this was it) if you don't pay which will give you I believe a final 48 hour notice at which point the same person or another person will come and remove the meter.

If you're worried about a scam call them directly and see what's going on, but you seem well aware that you're behind in payments for whatever reason.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Call them and find out what is going on.

Just keep in mind, it is your responsibility to pay the bills whether or not they came in the mail/epost.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
When Brant County Hydro was bought out by Cambridge hydro they kept taking money from my Dad’s account (equal billing) and then sent him a disconnect notice. Turns out they forgot to turn off the BCH billing’s but weren’t able to access the money.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)