Fashion & Beauty

Alexandrite Engagement Ring

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2015 7:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2141 posts
510 upvotes
St. Johns

Alexandrite Engagement Ring

Anyone know where I can get my hands on an alexandrite engagement ring. They are tough to find as Alexandrite is a very rare gemstone but the GF has hinted more than a few times that she prefers alexandrite over diamonds. The only one I could really find from a reputable jeweler is from People's and its only $300 (leads me to believe the quality isn't the best). I'm not overly familiar with rings/gemstones so I'm hoping someone might know of a reputable jeweler who might work with Alexandrite.
8 replies
Member
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
Look at www.rubylane.com

I've bought a lot of stuff on there. The posting process is quite tedious too. They only post antique items, and each post is reviewed by an employee of the website before its approved for display on the site.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
toodlepip wrote: Look at www.rubylane.com

I've bought a lot of stuff on there. The posting process is quite tedious too. They only post antique items, and each post is reviewed by an employee of the website before its approved for display on the site.
But all the stuff u bought from there were antique?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
RyanS219 wrote: Anyone know where I can get my hands on an alexandrite engagement ring. They are tough to find as Alexandrite is a very rare gemstone but the GF has hinted more than a few times that she prefers alexandrite over diamonds. The only one I could really find from a reputable jeweler is from People's and its only $300 (leads me to believe the quality isn't the best)...
Alexandrite is a rare gemstone, yet it is quite affordable?

You can try searching etsy, which has loose stones as well as rings.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
Look on etsy.com - you'll find tons of options.
Member
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
Becks wrote: But all the stuff u bought from there were antique?
Yes, everything I've bought from there has been antique. I actually find antique jewellery to be more beautiful than modern styles. I also find that the pieces are very well made.

You can try etsy, but from my experience, they don't use higher karat gold, and the bands are quite thin. A lot of the non handmade jewellery on etsy is just sellers reselling something that was made in China and giving it to you at a massive markup.
Member
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
Becks wrote: Alexandrite is a rare gemstone, yet it is quite affordablE
Just a comment on this: watch for the words "synthetic" and "lab created" and stay away from those rings. That's the reason why they're affordable - because they're not the real stone.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
938 upvotes
Sask.
It's crazy expensive, as well as rare. Even the synthetics are pricey. Good luck - I couldn't even find any decent ones online.

If she wants something in the purple/bluesy range, maybe amethyst or tanzanite?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2141 posts
510 upvotes
St. Johns
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried using etsy but I found searching to be very extensive as it gives you everything under the moon for Alexandrite. I'll give it another shot though.

Top