Amazing performance
OK display quality
Great gaming
Great speaker quality with excellent volume
excellent rear cameras
6/9 LTE bands
2/4 5g bands
120w charging (0-100 in 15 minutes)

If you're not familiar with Vivo, they are one of the best up and coming brands in the world. I had last year's Vivo X50 Pro+ and it is still the best phone I have ever used.
Thread Summary
Bottom line with this phone - if you're with Freedom, you'll have 3G only. Bell & Telus will have 4G only. Rogers seems to be the only carrier this phone will have full compatibility with up to 5G.
102 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12241 posts
1968 upvotes
GTA
but what brand is vivo???
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14331 posts
4905 upvotes
London
qaz393 wrote: but what brand is vivo???
Vivo is a subsidiary of BBK just like OnePlus, Realme, and Oppo
Jun 19, 2010
221 posts
173 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Impressive hardware spec for the money. But definitely expect less polished software, slow aliexpress delivery, and the (probably low) chance of phone arriving with issues.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14331 posts
4905 upvotes
London
Poutinesauce wrote: Vivo definitely always has top notch cameras.

The only issues with brands like Vivo and Oppo is that you can forget about Android updates, except for maybe one or two, and no future Android versions. They don't care at all.
Vivo has actually been great with getting last year's phones updated to Android 11 https://piunikaweb.com/2021/01/19/vivo- ... e-tracker/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6838 posts
5527 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: Vivo has actually been great with getting last year's phones updated to Android 11 https://piunikaweb.com/2021/01/19/vivo- ... e-tracker/
That's new because years ago that definitely wasn't the case.

I'm familiar with Vivo because in the Philippines these phones are everywhere.

Disappointed that it's a Chinese version though.
Nov 16, 2017
128 posts
146 upvotes
If you're invested in protecting your personal data, I would highly advise against getting these Chinese phones owned by BBK electronics.

While GDPR is there to defend customer data, these phones almost always have a security flaw. They've been caught over and over with leaking credit card data, harvesting their own users' data, so forth. Also keep in mind that China is a communist country, they won't mind stepping over the boundary to collect any type of data to use for their advantage.

Yes, they are cheaper, but only with a cost.

As for me, I already sold all my data to Google so didn't mind going with Huawei which is also owned by a former Chinese General Face With Tears Of Joy. I own a S10e now but tbh, liked the P30 pro better, quality wise (camera worked like magic), no regrets switching tho.

Point is, if you want to save some money, do your research and make a choice of if this is worth the risk.

Sidenote: I know a bunch of friends who blindly pressed Agree for Whatsapp's new privacy policy. Will they be screwed over with? We don't know. Yet.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1617 posts
310 upvotes
What about warranty and software support?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3507 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
ChrisC192588 wrote: If you're invested in protecting your personal data, I would highly advise against getting these Chinese phones owned by BBK electronics.

While GDPR is there to defend customer data, these phones almost always have a security flaw. They've been caught over and over with leaking credit card data, harvesting their own users' data, so forth. Also keep in mind that China is a communist country, they won't mind stepping over the boundary to collect any type of data to use for their advantage.

As for me, I already sold all my data to Google so didn't mind going with Huawei which is also owned by a former Chinese General Face With Tears Of Joy. I own a S10e now but tbh, liked the P30 pro better, quality wise (camera worked like magic), no regrets switching tho.

Point is, if you want to save some money, do your research and make a choice of if this is worth the risk.

Sidenote: I know a bunch of friends who blindly pressed Agree for Whatsapp's new privacy policy. Will they be screwed over with? We don't know. Yet.
I'm sure Bell/Rogers/Telus, FAANG, banks, government etc all have my personal data anyway... and I'm never going to China, at least not in this pandemic so they can have all my foodie pics or listen to me talk about RFD in a foreign language... credit card frauds happen with or without you using a Chinese phone as those organizations are constantly trying to brute force your CVV and exp. dates... I owned an Oppo from 2014, I don't feel like my life has been compromised in anyway since then.
Last edited by dracolnyte on Jan 22nd, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 26, 2013
459 posts
212 upvotes
qc
did a little research on both phones, actually really up to your preference, the vivo one has 120w dash charge that can charge from 0 to 100% in 14 mins, this is insanely fast. But camera, screen, build quality all go to mi11, they both have sg888 chip so likely not so much difference in performance. pricing wise, I think they are close, too, in china the difference is around 40CAD with vivo cheaper. for a heavy user it would be vivo, for normal use, I will wait for mi11
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14331 posts
4905 upvotes
London
andrew39909 wrote: How about Mi 11?
The Mi 11 is an excellent phone, but it is quite a bit more money, has a camera with issues, and uses a curved display.

I'm a huge Xiaomi shill, so I'll probably get a Mi 11 at some point, but between the two, for the price, I'd go with the IQOO 7
Nov 26, 2013
459 posts
212 upvotes
qc
ironically, the owner of the bbk immigrated to Canada and lives in Canada all yr around....
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2298 posts
655 upvotes
The Chinese phone are cheaper because they often use inferior secondary and homegrown electronics like the Bluetooth or wifi chips and often have no gorilla glass. At least it was my experience with a Xiaomi MiMax 3 which bt would stutter the music for example.
Jan 25, 2009
672 posts
330 upvotes
Vivo and Oppo or huge in India
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7535 posts
3761 upvotes
Vivo is everywhere in Asia (SE Asia, India, etc.). It's not a run of the mill random Chinese brand like Doogee or Cubot.

You can't just make blanket statements about Chinese phone manufacturers. Anyone making generic comments about Chinaphones crapping on Vivo doesn't know anything lol.
Sep 26, 2013
138 posts
220 upvotes
ChrisC192588 wrote: If you're invested in protecting your personal data, I would highly advise against getting these Chinese phones owned by BBK electronics.

Do you have a source for " these phones almost always have a security flaw"? or is that just some sort assumption or hear about?
Aug 21, 2019
463 posts
292 upvotes
BC
Not bad for 780$
May not be as premium as others but with the 888 and cheap price were getting a decent phone.