Expired Hot Deals

[Ali Express] Xiaomi Mi 9 64gb $500 128gb $545

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 1:36 am
Dec 24, 2011
293 posts
130 upvotes
New Westminster
Anyone have experience buying phone from Taiwan? It appears it is a Global version with bands 17/12 6gb 128gb for under $600. Google play preinstalled. Is this a good idea?

I have a friend going down so that way I could save on shipping and time.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1152 posts
426 upvotes
blueworm123 wrote: Anyone have experience buying phone from Taiwan? It appears it is a Global version with bands 17/12 6gb 128gb for under $600. Google play preinstalled. Is this a good idea?

I have a friend going down so that way I could save on shipping and time.
I wasn't aware a Global "Version" was available with band 17. If it is a Global "ROM" meaning seller is opening the box and flashing the Global ROM on a Chinese Version, which definitely has band 17, just make sure to buy from a reputable seller (i.e. so you can trust they use an Official Xiaomi ROM without injecting Malware into it).

EDIT: Just checked and Band 17 is listed for the Taiwanese version (need Google Translate but link is: https://www.mi.com/tw/mi9/specs/ )
Nov 1, 2003
909 posts
241 upvotes
May I ask if the OPs AliExpress have all the bands? I'm looking into one to replace my Mate 20 Pro
Salesperson
Oct 22, 2013
298 posts
182 upvotes
NORTH YORK
edmondt wrote: May I ask if the OPs AliExpress have all the bands? I'm looking into one to replace my Mate 20 Pro
is it mate 20 pro better phone?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13606 posts
3920 upvotes
London
IKnowUSexy wrote: is it mate 20 pro better phone?
No

I have a Mate 20 pro right now and definitely preferred the Mi 9
Nov 1, 2003
909 posts
241 upvotes
Good to know... Mate 20 Pro's camera is definitely really good... Their Super-Wide is a bit weird tho; the software sometimes lags...

Overall I like the Mate 20 Pro, but I'm still looking make the switch Xiaomi Mi 9 for better software and integration.
Salesperson
Jun 19, 2010
130 posts
43 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Viper98 wrote: No

I have a Mate 20 pro right now and definitely preferred the Mi 9
Why do you prefer the Mi9? What made it better in your opinion?
Penalty Box
Sep 6, 2011
1045 posts
1097 upvotes
JJackJi wrote: Why do you prefer the Mi9? What made it better in your opinion?
This is subjective, IMO MIUI 10 is really good. If someone (not saying you specifically) has never used MIUI and shits on it, and prefers stock android, yeah whatever, you do you.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13606 posts
3920 upvotes
London
JJackJi wrote: Why do you prefer the Mi9? What made it better in your opinion?
Faster
Better audio with headphones
Better camera
Proper gcam support
Mar 27, 2010
457 posts
111 upvotes
Montreal
isgaard wrote: This is subjective, IMO MIUI 10 is really good. If someone (not saying you specifically) has never used MIUI and shits on it, and prefers stock android, yeah whatever, you do you.
Coming from near stock Android on Motorola phones, I've adapted to MIUI 10 quite well and actually like it now on my Mi8. Its seems to get frequent updates and is quite fast.
As a bonus there's better integration with all the Xiaomi IoT devices I have (no surprise there).
Mar 27, 2010
457 posts
111 upvotes
Montreal
willy0275 wrote: I've got the Huawei P20 and I'm not sure what version of MIUI I got, maybe 9, but there are irritating little things that pushed me to switch to Pixel 3 for a better Android experience. There's a lot of weird stuff, like not being able to remove a selected wallpaper from the lock screen, constant random popup errors from some Huawei software, the clock alarms randomly not working, the weird sound volume system where there's 4 different volumes and some apps use different ones so it's very hard to know which one will affect which app, also the do-not-disturb mode that doesn't really quite work the way it should.
It sounds like you're confusing Huawei's EMUI with Xiaomi's MIUI. They are not the same at all.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1656 posts
974 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Yeah the UI on Huawei phones kind of sucks. I own a Huawei P20 and switched to a Pixel 3 XL last week. I can understand why some of you prefer/want to switch to MIUI which is probably much better than EMUI.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Mar 27, 2010
457 posts
111 upvotes
Montreal
willy0275 wrote: Yeah the UI on Huawei phones kind of sucks. I own a Huawei P20 and switched to a Pixel 3 XL last week. I can understand why some of you prefer/want to switch to MIUI which is probably much better than EMUI.
I'm still a fan of stock Android and would choose that over anything else in a perfect world but MIUI was a surprise to me.
I haven't used EMUI for an extended period of time but from what I've seen in person, I don't really like it.
Dec 24, 2011
293 posts
130 upvotes
New Westminster
seshwan wrote: I wasn't aware a Global "Version" was available with band 17. If it is a Global "ROM" meaning seller is opening the box and flashing the Global ROM on a Chinese Version, which definitely has band 17, just make sure to buy from a reputable seller (i.e. so you can trust they use an Official Xiaomi ROM without injecting Malware into it).

EDIT: Just checked and Band 17 is listed for the Taiwanese version (need Google Translate but link is: https://www.mi.com/tw/mi9/specs/ )
Seems like buying from taiwan is the way to go. Google play + band 17 $600 flat from official store.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)