• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 1:36 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13616 posts
3920 upvotes
London
KevinC268 wrote: No they don’t all support google play, google play isn’t even allowed in China so you might want to double check before buying a Chinese phone to make sure it’s a global version.
Every Android phone supports Google play. They just don't all come with it installed. You can install a Google play apk on Chinese phones
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13616 posts
3920 upvotes
London
txenglan wrote: I'm not going to get into this sort of asinine analogy game with you.
I'm sorry for slaughtering your asinine opinion so badly that you can't even retort.
Mar 27, 2010
457 posts
111 upvotes
Montreal
KevinC268 wrote: No they don’t all support google play, google play isn’t even allowed in China so you might want to double check before buying a Chinese phone to make sure it’s a global version.
Even on a Chinese ROM Xiaomi phone you can load Google Play and most other Google services. It takes some work to get it all loaded up properly but it can be done.
I went thru this with a Mi 8. A pain for sure so always look for a global version. However for the price I paid for the Mi 8 ($100) it was worth the effort to me.
Surprisingly I have adapted to MIUI and actually enjoy it now for the most part, and I came from almost stock Android Moto G and Z series phones.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3123 posts
1834 upvotes
Kitchener
zebracobra007 wrote: Why would anyone send their hard earned money to China? They don't buy anything from us, not even a few soybeans.
Does anyone have a choice? iPhones, MacBooks, laptops (Like Dell, Microsoft,HP, ROG), they made in China. Car tires, your cars stereo system, any sort of wireless communications, all made in China. China has cheap labour, this means $200 budget smartphones, as opposed to $2700 "budget" smartphones -- believe me, very few would own one.

Why doesn't China buy more from Canada??? Because anything that we DO make is insanely expensive. Income median in China is $3,500 CAD, and, I mean, are these iPhone builders buying iPhones? Nope. They can't afford it. And they certainly can't afford expensively made Canadian stuff, whatever it may be (for example, a Corolla made locally would be about 6 years wages).
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Apr 16, 2011
564 posts
111 upvotes
I really would get this phone but I am so used to the 4,000 mAh batter in my Redmi Note 5 that I don't think I could ever go back to a phone with out this kind of battery life. Looks amazing though.
Jan 31, 2016
29 posts
22 upvotes
I am typing this on a Mi 9 Global edition. I have had it for about 6 weeks and I have not too many complaints.

Google Play works 100%
Google Pay works 100% after you change the NFC security setting to HCE wallet.
I'm using it on Bell and reception is fine in Calgary.

The phone is splash resistant but I wouldn't dunk it in water. Camera is pretty darn good and the phone is super fast. Software has some some tiny unpolished parts (Chinese letters in English rom) and some random ads in menus. The bugs get patched pretty quickly and the Canadian regional setting has very minimal ads.

3300 mAh seemed kind of small to me but GSM arena convinced me it would be good enough. I took the dive and don't regret it. It can last me 2 days with moderate use and a full day easily with heavy heavy use. Night and day difference between my old S7 even with a OEM battery replacement.

My biggest complaint is the selfie camera can only do 1080p @ 30fps. I bought this to record my upcoming vacation. I will have to stick to the main 48mp sensor for 4k 60fps. The video quality from that sensor on the Mi9 is one of the best on the market.
Feb 8, 2019
56 posts
25 upvotes
AnthonyC164432 wrote: I am typing this on a Mi 9 Global edition. I have had it for about 6 weeks and I have not too many complaints.

Google Play works 100%

The phone is splash resistant but I wouldn't dunk it in water. Camera is pretty darn good and the phone is super fast. Software has some some tiny unpolished parts (Chinese letters in English rom) and some random ads in menus. The bugs get patched pretty quickly and the Canadian regional setting has very minimal ads.

3300 mAh seemed kind of small to me but GSM arena convinced me it would be good enough. I took the dive and don't regret it. It can last me 2 days with moderate use and a full day easily with heavy heavy use. Night and day difference between my old S7 even with a OEM battery replacement.

My biggest complaint is the selfie camera can only do 1080p @ 30fps. I bought this to record my upcoming vacation. I will have to stick to the main 48mp sensor for 4k 60fps. The video quality from that sensor on the Mi9 is one of the best on the market.
How is the night mode of the main shooter? Have you tested ois, any opinions on that?
Aug 28, 2014
367 posts
475 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Viper98 wrote: 1. Yes. All Android phones support Google play
2. Don't know
3. Don't know
4. Yes
Hey OP what happens when you try to add a card to Google Pay?
Aug 28, 2014
367 posts
475 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
AnthonyC164432 wrote: I am typing this on a Mi 9 Global edition. I have had it for about 6 weeks and I have not too many complaints.

Google Play works 100%

Ads in menus you say? Like, settings screen?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6344 posts
1448 upvotes
All these comments about being a "chinese phone" are just madness. The comparison between Xiaomi and Huawei is even a crazier madness - Shows that you don't know why this whole Huawei/US war is happening and thinking it's just a move by the US base on "race" (Chinese).

And of course, every thread on flagship phones will have that person comes in and say "No one needs a phone that's more expensive than $200.", whether the flagship is $1000 or $600. I feel bad for these close minded people, it's just a loss for them to experience something great that companies have created. Those are probably also the type of people that would put anything in their mouth because "meal is just a meal".

Mi9 is an awesome phone, especially at this price point.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13616 posts
3920 upvotes
London
mediumsteak wrote: Hey OP what happens when you try to add a card to Google Pay?
I was able to add my debit card no problem. It also shows my credit and paypal as payment methods
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1656 posts
974 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Just a random comment but I currently have a Huawei P20 which I like but I'm not crazy about the OS and would like to get a phone closer to stock Android OS, but there doesn't seem to be *any* alternative close to what I need in a phone. I'm not willing to get a phone shipped from China as I'd like to buy something locally when a warranty. The Pixel 3a would be the phone closest to what I want as I don't need a powerful phone but the poor battery is a turn off. The OnePlus 7 Pro is just way too big, as is the Zenfone 6. I'm kind of doomed Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Nov 16, 2013
214 posts
341 upvotes
New Brunswick
txenglan wrote: Paying this much for any phone, let alone a Chinese phone (all manufacturers have the potential to become the next target of a ban) is absolute madness. No one needs a phone more expensive than around $300-400 max. Once you get above that price range, you're paying hundreds for little or no improvement. Years from now, people will look back on this period of insanity and laugh at how much money was being wasted on phones.
You should try being less of self-important ego-head and understand nobody wants or asked for your opinion.
Jan 31, 2016
29 posts
22 upvotes
vapesmoker wrote: How is the night mode of the main shooter? Have you tested ois, any opinions on that?
The night mode is so-so but still decent, it's not in the same league as the Pixel 3. Check out DXO-mark's review of the camera. They do a good comparison with the top camera phones. I was surprised at how good the wide angle camera was capturing photos of a dark concert scene though.
mediumsteak wrote: Ads in menus you say? Like, settings screen?
I see ads when the phone is installing apps and when you open the memory clearing app. Other than that, I didn't notice them anywhere else. Doesn't bug me at all unless they bump it up in the future. It's interesting that Xiaomi varies the amount of ad placement deepening on your region setting.

The Google ban on Huawei bugs me a little but at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure Linage OS would be fully supported on these popular phones.

Oh yeah, one more complaint about the phone. The camera module sticks out a fair amount so make sure you get a glass protector for the camera lens. I wish they would have made the entire phone thicker to hide the camera bulge a little more. Then they could have fit a 4000 mAh battery in there to get two days of heavy usage haha. One can dream..... I paid 680ish with DHL shipping 6 weeks ago and I think it was good value. Sure beats the $1200+ I was going to drop on the S10+. The OnePlus 7 Pro isn't too terrible at $1000 either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)