• Jun 4th, 2016 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 19, 2015
16 posts
Toronto, ON

Alibaba importing help...

Hey guys, want to ship a couple car bumpers from shanghai and apparently will need two bumpers with dimensions 208*94*62 ( not sure how many Cubic meters this is...probably 2-3?) and will weigh about 48 kg for both. I am wondering what the best shipping method is for me as the seller has offered FOB. His quote to get the bumper from the ship to my house was about 700$ and I messaged a different seller as well and got around 700$ for shipping as well.... Is there a more economical way to deal with shipping? I am open to do any type of shipping including EMS/DHL/Sea freight if anyone can recommend me something.
2 replies
Mar 18, 2006
135 posts
59 upvotes
GoodGuyGerald wrote: Hey guys, want to ship a couple car bumpers from shanghai and apparently will need two bumpers with dimensions 208*94*62 ( not sure how many Cubic meters this is...probably 2-3?) and will weigh about 48 kg for both. I am wondering what the best shipping method is for me as the seller has offered FOB. His quote to get the bumper from the ship to my house was about 700$ and I messaged a different seller as well and got around 700$ for shipping as well.... Is there a more economical way to deal with shipping? I am open to do any type of shipping including EMS/DHL/Sea freight if anyone can recommend me something.
If both of your quotes are $700, that's probably the general going rate for air shipping. I would ask the seller to get multiple quotes themselves from the different couriers (the price differences can be surprisingly drastic). In my experience, DHL is typically the best (fastest and least expensive).

You can try sea shipping, but there's a lot more paperwork to it and probably not worth the hassle. I would look for a 3rd party forwarding company that can manage it all for you (pick it up from their china address and get it to your door). Typically service fees start at $200ish (which doesn't account for actual freight / duties / taxes / port fees / handling etc). Although I'd imagine your total cost would probably be a bit less than $700, it would take at least a month to arrive...

I've used www.fbaforward.com to get shipments into the US from China and it worked well.

Hope this helps!
[OP]
May 19, 2015
16 posts
Toronto, ON
Kostan wrote: If both of your quotes are $700, that's probably the general going rate for air shipping. I would ask the seller to get multiple quotes themselves from the different couriers (the price differences can be surprisingly drastic). In my experience, DHL is typically the best (fastest and least expensive).

You can try sea shipping, but there's a lot more paperwork to it and probably not worth the hassle. I would look for a 3rd party forwarding company that can manage it all for you (pick it up from their china address and get it to your door). Typically service fees start at $200ish (which doesn't account for actual freight / duties / taxes / port fees / handling etc). Although I'd imagine your total cost would probably be a bit less than $700, it would take at least a month to arrive...

I've used www.fbaforward.com to get shipments into the US from China and it worked well.

Hope this helps!
I think im getting ripped off as they are offering 700 for sea shipping not air... I am trying to pay around 400ish total but not even sure if this is possible..