Hot Deals

[AliExpress] $119 / Xiaomi Redmi 7A Global Version / 2 GB RAM / 32 GB Storage / Snapdragon 439 / 5.45" HD+ Screen / 4000 mAh Battery

[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON

$119 / Xiaomi Redmi 7A Global Version / 2 GB RAM / 32 GB Storage / Snapdragon 439 / 5.45" HD+ Screen / 4000 mAh Battery

Price:
$119.16
Retailer:
AliExpress
The main deal link through Fantacy Technology is at https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/FcZnzoG.

Update: There's another AliExpress store that sells this phone for a similar price at https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qYlmcY0 so that listing is also worth a look.

Those of you who are familiar with Xiaomi know that they make great phones at affordable prices. I've been using the Redmi Note 5 (SD636) global version for over a year and it still runs beautifully with the Pixel Experience custom ROM on Fido. I've also been looking for a Xiaomi phone to replace my mother's Moto G4 Play and the Xiaomi Redmi 7A looks like an ideal option.

Here is a detailed review from XDA Developers.

The video reviews below provide plenty of information along with the pros and cons of this device.

The Redmi 7A is priced at slightly less than the Umidigi A5 Pro and here is a comparison video of those phones.

The A5 Pro has some hardware advantages but Xiaomi is more established than Umidigi for quality control and support. Although I'm not a fan of MIUI, I think that the Redmi 7A could have a bright future with custom ROMs because it uses a Qualcomm SoC rather than one from MediaTek.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapd ... e-platform

Expect the XDA forums for the Redmi 7A to become more popular as people get their hands on this device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-7a

As for the Redmi 7A's wireless band and carrier support in Canada, this link has the details. It's not suitable for Freedom Mobile but should work well enough as a budget phone on other networks that use common 3G and LTE bands.
Last edited by GabbyWC on Aug 31st, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.
36 replies
Feb 6, 2013
498 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Why do people refer to the storage space as ROM. Makes no fクソking sense.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Hobotrader wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 2:57 pm
Price in title please! Thanks!
Done.
RoseTech wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 3:05 pm
I reached the RFD forum's character limit for the subject box but I've since edited the word "ROM" to "storage." There are blog posts at G***Best which answer your question.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1712 posts
285 upvotes
Saskatoon
Wondering if it is going to work with SaskTel.
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Apr 10, 2009
194 posts
194 upvotes
What's the typical price for these? $130 for a bezelled phone with 720p screen and low end CPU seems typical to me.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I wouldn't necessarily say that this phone is on sale at the moment but $124 CAD for the 2 GB / 32 GB global version is a fairly low price. I ordered a blue one yesterday when it was priced around $127 and I expect it to arrive in about a month after it departs with free standard shipping. As something compact and affordable that my mother can use, I think that the Redmi 7A is good enough for her. If or when Pixel Experience becomes available for this device, I'll flash that custom ROM on to it for better performance.
Last edited by GabbyWC on Aug 31st, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1712 posts
285 upvotes
Saskatoon
Do they deliver it via Canada Post ? Important to know that brokerage fee and import taxes can be substantial especially if delivered by DHL
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Yes, AliExpress standard shipping uses Canada Post after it arrives in this country. It took about 6 weeks for my Redmi Note 5 to arrive after it shipped out of China but I didn't have to pay any taxes or import fees on it.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1147 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
RoseTech wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 3:05 pm
Think ROM means read only memory and RAM means random access memory. Think it was established long ago the terms are obvious
😎Thanks RFD😎
Feb 6, 2013
498 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
blackbirdman wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 5:51 pm
Think ROM means read only memory and RAM means random access memory. Think it was established long ago the terms are obvious
That's not what I'm arguing. What you said is correct obviously, but you misunderstand what I'm saying. The usage here is wrong. Storage space is not ROM nor RAM.

The only ROM in consumer technology these days are the chips that contain the firmware of individual components. Even then, a lot of time they are upgrade-able and so are not truly ROM (such as EPROM). With PC motherboards, the BIOS firmware is stored on ROM (a mere few MB at most), and a CMOS chip contains the editable settings that adjust the BIOS.
Jun 10, 2013
497 posts
216 upvotes
Yeah, Read Only Memory means that you can't write to it. You clearly can in the context of how they're using the term with these phones - wrong term.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Since we agree that ROM is not a correct term for the internal storage on a phone, let's please get this thread back on topic.

My Redmi 7A order has shipped out just two days after placing the order with the Fantacy Technology store on AliExpress. The estimated delivery time with standard shipping is between August 19 to September 3 but of course there's also the 60-day buyer protection policy which will refund my money if this order does not arrive in the next two months. I'll post tracking updates here from time to time as well as my impressions after I receive the shipment.

Aside from the phone itself, I also ordered these nano-clear screen protectors and this clear TPU case about two weeks ago. I chose the China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus shipping option for those orders and I hope to receive them before or around the same time as the phone itself.
Oct 3, 2014
303 posts
264 upvotes
what's the cheapest chinese phone that can shoot videos in high fps/slow motion. The 7a can only do 30fps.
Aug 29, 2001
388 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
can this do android auto and waze? I saw a lot of posts about gps issues with xiaomi phones but for older but similar models