Hot Deals

[AliExpress] $119 / Xiaomi Redmi 7A Global Version / 2 GB RAM / 32 GB Storage / Snapdragon 439 / 5.45" HD+ Screen / 4000 mAh Battery

[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
crockpot wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 10:39 am
what's the cheapest chinese phone that can shoot videos in high fps/slow motion. The 7a can only do 30fps.
I think you'd have to spend above $160 for phones that can shoot video in more advanced modes. The Redmi 7 (SD632) can record 1080p video at 30 and 60 FPS while the Redmi Note 7 (SD660) can record 1080p video at 30, 60 and 120 FPS.
baseline wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 8:01 pm
can this do android auto and waze? I saw a lot of posts about gps issues with xiaomi phones but for older but similar models
I don't know about Android Auto as my car deck does not support that. As for GPS navigation, I experienced serious issues early on when I started using Google Maps and Waze on my Redmi Note 5. Those apps would randomly freeze and close for no apparent reason (sometimes causing my phone to restart) and it was incredibly frustrating to deal with while driving. I was concerned that my phone might even be defective but after performing extensive troubleshooting with clean installs of different ROMs, I realized that an anti-theft app called Cerberus was responsible for the problematic GPS behavior. I uninstalled Cerberus and have not had any GPS navigation issues since then on my Redmi Note 5.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1231 posts
305 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 5:13 pm
Yes, AliExpress standard shipping uses Canada Post after it arrives in this country. It took about 6 weeks for my Redmi Note 5 to arrive after it shipped out of China but I didn't have to pay any taxes or import fees on it.
Does it come with tracking with Canada Post? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12966 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
Get the Umidigi A5 Pro instead, much better hardware and better deal for a similar price, under Canadian $140 shipped.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
tkddad wrote:
Aug 7th, 2019 8:09 am

Does it come with tracking with Canada Post? Thanks.
The tracking number provided with AliExpress standard shipping is valid internationally. It works in Canada Post's system once the package enters this country.
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2019 9:10 am
Get the Umidigi A5 Pro instead, much better hardware and better deal for a similar price, under Canadian $140 shipped.
It's not that simple. Yes, the A5 Pro has some better hardware such as the 1080p screen and 4 GB of RAM but its main rear camera still takes inferior photos. Both devices have batteries rated at or near 4000 mAh but the Redmi 7A's 720p screen requires less power than a 1080p screen and the Snapdragon 439 SoC is manufactured on a 12 nanometer process which is more efficient than the 16 nanometer process of the Helio P23. A smaller and lighter phone appeals to people who want to comfortably use the device with one hand. As for software, I prefer stock Android over MIUI but for how long will Umidigi provide OS and security updates? Xiaomi's software support may last for years. Even if the the Redmi 7A's official support period is not that long, a phone with a Qualcomm SoC will certainly be more appealing to custom ROM developers. Freedom Mobile users would obviously benefit from a phone with LTE band 66 support such as the A5 Pro. I linked to a detailed comparison video in my original post that shows advantages and disadvantages for both phones.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2523 posts
612 upvotes
Scarborough
GabbyWC wrote:
Aug 7th, 2019 2:26 pm

.... Yes, the A5 Pro has some better hardware such as the 1080p screen and 4 GB of RAM but its main rear camera still takes inferior photos. Both devices have batteries rated at or near 4000 mAh but the Redmi 7A's 720p screen requires less power than a 1080p screen and the Snapdragon 439 SoC is manufactured on a 12 nanometer process which is more efficient than the 16 nanometer process of the Helio P23. A smaller and lighter phone appeals to people who want to comfortably use the device with one hand. As for software, I prefer stock Android over MIUI but for how long will Umidigi provide OS and security updates? Xiaomi's software support may last for years.Even if the the Redmi 7A's official support period is not that long, a phone with a Qualcomm SoC will certainly be more appealing to custom ROM developers. Freedom Mobile users would obviously benefit from a phone with LTE band 66 support such as the A5 Pro. I linked to a detailed comparison video in my original post that shows advantages and disadvantages for both phones.
That's what holding me back from picking up a Umidigi. It looks like it has the same practice as the Blu, zero security updates.

So OP, did you have security updates on your redme note 5 to date? I bought a 2017 in 2017, zero update, disappointing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28555 posts
14331 upvotes
Ottawa
Samwfive wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 9:13 pm
That's what holding me back from picking up a Umidigi. It looks like it has the same practice as the Blu, zero security updates.

So OP, did you have security updates on your redme note 5 to date? I bought a 2017 in 2017, zero update, disappointing.
I just switched from a Note 5 Pro and Xiaomi pushed out Miui v10.3.1 Android 9.0 for it.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1712 posts
285 upvotes
Saskatoon
I got Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)from Costco sale for $111 with taxes instead of Xiaomi. Now trying to fix its software/hardware glitches through Samsung service centre.
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Samwfive wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 9:13 pm

I flashed Pixel Experience on my Redmi Note 5 within weeks of receiving the phone and that custom ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie still gets monthly updates with current security patches, bug fixes and improvements.
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 10:08 pm

I just switched from a Note 5 Pro and Xiaomi pushed out Miui v10.3.1 Android 9.0 for it.
Your username brings back memories of the large Redmi Note 5 thread here on RFD that we both posted in last year. I think your order ended up being free because it took longer than 60 days for delivery if I remember correctly. Which phone did you switch to and why?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28555 posts
14331 upvotes
Ottawa
GabbyWC wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 11:11 pm
I flashed Pixel Experience on my Redmi Note 5 within weeks of receiving the phone and that custom ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie still gets monthly updates with current security patches, bug fixes and improvements.

Your username brings back memories of the large Redmi Note 5 thread here on RFD that we both posted in last year. I think your order ended up being free because it took longer than 60 days for delivery if I remember correctly. Which phone did you switch to and why?
Lol, good memory.
I switched to the Mi 9t, as I wanted NFC, an OLED screen and also this phone has a huge screen.
This time around delivery was just over two weeks.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 10th, 2019 5:10 am
Lol, good memory.
I switched to the Mi 9t, as I wanted NFC, an OLED screen and also this phone has a huge screen.
This time around delivery was just over two weeks.
The Mi 9T is a great phone and one that I seriously considered buying but what discouraged me was the lack of a microSD card slot and IR blaster, both of which are features that the Redmi Note series has.

Here's an update for this thread on how things are progressing with my Redmi 7A order from Fantacy Technology with AliExpress standard shipping.

2019-08-10 09:29 Shipment dispatched.

2019-08-10 09:59 Shipment at country of origin (Singapore) warehouse.

2019-08-10 16:45 Shipment accepted by airline.

2019-08-10 16:45 Shipment left country of origin warehouse.

2019-08-12 23:30 Departed country of origin.

2019-08-16 14:28 Arrived at destination country.

2019-08-16 14:31 Accepted by last mile carrier.

The Canada Post app now provides tracking information for this shipment as well. The package is currently in Richmond, BC and has passed through customs. I expect it to arrive at my address in the next few business days. The clear TPU case that I ordered arrived after just three weeks with China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus shipping which was a pleasant surprise. I hope that the nano-clear screen protectors arrive before the phone does. I'm happy to see that free shipping from China now does not take as long as it did in 2018.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2014
867 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
My Redmi 7A phone arrived yesterday which was earlier than expected. I am really impressed with AliExpress standard shipping and the fact that it was able to deliver my order in just under two weeks without any fees or charges.

I verified that the phone is a genuine global version by entering the IMEI number at this link. It shows this message there: "Congratulations! You can be assured the phone you have is the official international version."

The gem blue color of the phone looks beautiful. I'm 99% happy with the appearance aside from one very small and minor imperfection in an area of the black plastic near the top-left side of the screen. I thought it was dust so I tried to clean it but that made no difference. It looks like a bit of plastic that lost its black color so I touched it up with a permanent marker. I don't think it's something that my mother would notice but it annoyed me enough to deal with it.

As I've stated before, I'm not a fan of MIUI and I was reminded of why when I set up this phone. It comes preloaded with bloatware but the Xiaomi ADB/Fastboot Tools utility is able to easily remove those apps. The operating system provides many customization options and things are not bad once certain settings are enabled or disabled. There was one major OTA update (MIUI v10.2.5.0) that I installed almost right away and honestly, I haven't noticed any performance issues on this device so far even though it only has 2 GB of RAM. It appears that MIUI has some efficient memory management which prevents the device from dropping too low in available memory. The MIUI launcher is a joke so I replaced it with Nova Launcher which made things much more ideal. 5 GHz WiFi support would have been nice to have but I suppose that feature is not common in this price range.

The phone's screen looks great for a 720p panel and I haven't noticed any excessive glare. The battery life on this device is insanely good and I can easily see it lasting 2 to 3 days between charges depending on usage. I have started the bootloader unlock process and Xiaomi has a 7 day waiting period on that. I'm not in any rush so I'll keep MIUI on there until there is proper root support from Magisk and / or a custom ROM. In the meantime, AdClear is being used to block most ads and NewPipe is being used to provide ad-free YouTube videos with background playback and downloading support. For a $120 phone, the Redmi 7A does not disappoint.
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
15 posts
1 upvote
ukrainiandude wrote:
Aug 9th, 2019 10:16 am
I got Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)from Costco sale for $111 with taxes instead of Xiaomi. Now trying to fix its software/hardware glitches through Samsung service centre.
Is it within warranty or out of warranty period? Samsung had a lot of screens going bad, defective...
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1712 posts
285 upvotes
Saskatoon
Dealsnob wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 6:30 pm
Is it within warranty or out of warranty period? Samsung had a lot of screens going bad, defective...
Got it fixed with Samsung warranty, it just needed software update as I was told.
Works fine now
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Aug 31, 2011
284 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Worth switching to this from Redmi Note 4? I am debating fixing a screen vs upgrading and Xiaomi Mi A1 is still an option apparently and I'm looking at Nokia 6.1 way too many choices and opinionated reviews/reviewers.

Looks like Redmi Note 8 is coming out starting with China first. Pro version looks interesting.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1292 posts
255 upvotes
boomix wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 10:39 am
Worth switching to this from Redmi Note 4? I am debating fixing a screen vs upgrading and Xiaomi Mi A1 is still an option apparently and I'm looking at Nokia 6.1 way too many choices and opinionated reviews/reviewers.

Looks like Redmi Note 8 is coming out starting with China first. Pro version looks interesting.
Just upgraded from a Note 5 Pro the Note 7 for $224 (all-in) and I'm really happy with the phone so far.
The Note 8 Pro will be interesting.