Hot Deals

[AliExpress] 12v car outlet to 5v USB adapter w/ voltage and current monitoring displays (display voltage drop on crank!) $4 shipped

[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
456 posts
255 upvotes

12v car outlet to 5v USB adapter w/ voltage and current monitoring displays (display voltage drop on crank!) $4 shipped

Deal Link:
Price:
$4.00
Retailer:
AliExpress
Not documented but its monitoring is fast enough to capture voltage drop on crank. It uses ~20 mA when plugged in (leds/monitoring). Note that car battery voltage readings from the interior car outlet are ~0.2v lower than at the battery.

38 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13249 posts
3628 upvotes
Scarberia
this is good to monitor ur starter? i just had mine worked on! car was DOA!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
456 posts
255 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: this is good to monitor ur starter? i just had mine worked on! car was DOA!
Just the voltages from the battery. It can't help you there.

I think based on what you described in another thread/post, it's likely you have a bad starter.
Aug 16, 2007
46 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal
Ordered 1. Thanks OP. Weird as it switches between the .ca to the .com site. Also, buying 2 adds shipping fees, even when you revert to 1... Also realized that Aliexpress now re-accepts Paypal (unless i'm really late with the news...)
Last edited by belmichel on Dec 2nd, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
😎
Jun 30, 2005
49 posts
107 upvotes
It took me awhile to realize this is a car chargerFace With Tears Of Joy
Jul 13, 2016
210 posts
306 upvotes
Their thresholds for the colours are a little out of whack. Showing high voltage at 14.8V for a high charging voltage (not battery voltage) is accurate if the alternator is running.

Fully charged lead acid battery cells should be 2.1V or mybe 2.15V each, which multiplied by 6 cells is 12.6V (12.5 when it's cold outside). That varies a tiny bit by the battery type. They show "low" at 11.6V but that's very low - it's basically the bare minimum you'd ever want your battery to get to and it's likely too low to start the vehicle.

A fully and completely dead battery is about 1.7V per cell, or 10.8V total - but that's the threshold at which sulfation occurs and it's almost guaranteed there is some amount of permanent damage to the battery.

It's safer to keep the battery not much below 2V per cell, or 12.0V total.
Last edited by soupmaster666 on Dec 2nd, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2001
669 posts
107 upvotes
belmichel wrote: Ordered 1. Thanks OP. Weird as it switches between the .ca to the .com site. Also, buying 2 adds shipping fees, even when you revert to 1... Also realized that Aliexpress now re-accepts Paypal (unless i'm really late with the news...)
Careful when using PayPal. I tried it with a credit card that was linked to my PayPal account and I was charged a cash advance fee (and corresponding interest). I got the charges reversed as a one time courtesy. I guess if you have a balance in your account you should be ok but use caution if you plan to use a credit card that's linked to your PayPal account.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1841 posts
1019 upvotes
RudeDoggy wrote: Careful when using PayPal. I tried it with a credit card that was linked to my PayPal account and I was charged a cash advance fee (and corresponding interest). I got the charges reversed as a one time courtesy. I guess if you have a balance in your account you should be ok but use caution if you plan to use a credit card that's linked to your PayPal account.
Curious which CC company were you with.

I just purchased some items & paid with PayPal connected to my Stack MC.
I didn't incurred any additional fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4376 posts
1280 upvotes
I already have a QC3.0 car charger. Don't really need this adapter, but once I saw that shiny LED display, I knew I have to have it. Thanks OP.
signature closed for renovation
Aug 7, 2001
669 posts
107 upvotes
jay-em wrote: Curious which CC company were you with.

I just purchased some items & paid with PayPal connected to my Stack MC.
I didn't incurred any additional fee.
Rogers World Elite MasterCard.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1096 posts
299 upvotes
RudeDoggy wrote: Rogers World Elite MasterCard.
Do you also have your bank account attached as backup?
[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
456 posts
255 upvotes
Remember the readings from the interior power outlet are ~0.2v lower than from the battery posts. Couple of useful tables ...

Aug 7, 2001
669 posts
107 upvotes
ykhehra1 wrote: Do you also have your bank account attached as backup?
I think my bank account is linked but when I processed the payment, I used my credit card since I figured I'd get my net 0.5% cashback vs net -2.5% commission fee on the foreign exchange rate.

Presumably if you use your bank account, you'll just get charged the forex fee (whether it's from Paypal or from your bank).

Or just enter your credit card details directly into aliexpress, which is what I normally do. (I was initially sketched out a bit by that but have been doing that for a couple of years now.)
[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
456 posts
255 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Their thresholds for the colours are a little out of whack. Showing high voltage at 14.8V for a high charging voltage (not battery voltage) is accurate if the alternator is running.

Fully charged lead acid battery cells should be 2.1V or mybe 2.15V each, which multiplied by 6 cells is 12.6V (12.5 when it's cold outside). That varies a tiny bit by the battery type. They show "low" at 11.6V but that's very low - it's basically the bare minimum you'd ever want your battery to get to and it's likely too low to start the vehicle.

A fully and completely dead battery is about 1.7V per cell, or 10.8V total - but that's the threshold at which sulfation occurs and it's almost guaranteed there is some amount of permanent damage to the battery.

It's safer to keep the battery not much below 2V per cell, or 12.0V total.
And the range after start is normally 13.4v -15v for most vehicles. Basically ignore this chart on the selling page ...

Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1195 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
RudeDoggy wrote: Rogers World Elite MasterCard.
I use this same card for the same reasons on most of my ebay/ali purchases, and have never been charged extra or some cash advance fee.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Aug 7, 2001
669 posts
107 upvotes
pererac wrote: I use this same card for the same reasons on most of my ebay/ali purchases, and have never been charged extra or some cash advance fee.
Shrug, all I can say is that I made two purchases on AliExpress using the Rogers World Elite MasterCard linked to my PayPal account and was charged two cash advance fees.

I've made lots of purchases using my credit card directly with AliExpress with no issues. Only when using the PayPal option was I charged the cash advance fee.

I think it has something to do with the fact that when using PayPal on AliExpress, it also somehow gets processed through Alipay (as shown on my credit card statement) and Rogers Bank treats that as a cash advance.

I've obviously used PayPal with the same credit card at other places and had no issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1716 posts
765 upvotes
So this QC charges two phones simultaneously at 15w? Review photos show 5V 3.1A output printed on device.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
456 posts
255 upvotes
I RFD wrote: So this QC charges two phones simultaneously at 15w? Review photos show 5V 3.1A output printed on device.
One of the usb ports is a "QC3.0" ( charge > 5v) as advertised. I'll test it later today and see.
Jan 7, 2016
32 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for posting this....don't need one but I ordered 2 separately. Does anyone know why there's shipping charges for more
than one, costing them more to ship?