• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2023 3:41 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3175 posts
3129 upvotes
Toronto
So when it comes to websites like Aliexpress who sell cheap products from many different sellers, what you need to know what you should and shouldn't buy.

For example, anything that has to do with electrical should not be purchased from Aliexpress. Most electrical products on this site are not UL listed or CSA certified, as such they can pose a high risk as the lower cost of the product means cost reductions have been made elsewhere (usually in terms of safety). For example, I wouldn't buy phone chargers, light fixtures, from this website because, from what I've seen, these kinds of products are cheaply made and not safe (for example, a lot of products from Aliexpress aren't properly grounded since in China grounding isn't a thing).

As well, avoid products like cooking utensils, plates, or anything you eat off because, again, these products may not be up to standards and may pose a risk.

However, when it comes to cheap plastic trinkets, cases for phones, etc. these are things which are a good buy from Aliexpress. The risk to your safety with these kinds of products is low, and the prices are reasonable.

Basically, if you're going to Aliexpress expecting that every product is safe, certified, and a reasonable value (as you would expect from a brick and mortar retailer in Canada like Walmart) then you're going to have a bad time. Shopping on websites like this requires a bit of critical thinking. No you can't get a 1tb flash drive for $20, no you can't buy a good quality iPhone from Aliexpress, however when it comes to things like cloths, housewares, etc. then Aliexpress is a good option.

Just always remember: When an item is cheap, it's cheap for a reason.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jacnel wrote: For example, anything that has to do with electrical should not be purchased from Aliexpress. Most electrical products on this site are not UL listed or CSA certified, as such they can pose a high risk as the lower cost of the product means cost reductions have been made elsewhere (usually in terms of safety). For example, I wouldn't buy phone chargers, light fixtures, from this website because, from what I've seen, these kinds of products are cheaply made and not safe (for example, a lot of products from Aliexpress aren't properly grounded since in China grounding isn't a thing).
The same principle applies to electrical products sold on Amazon. Even if the item is claimed to be UL-listed or CSA-approved the labelling could be fake. And even if the item is "name brand" it could be a fake. So basically what you're saying is avoid all electrical items unless you're certain that you're getting the genuine article.

This caveat isn't practical since similar goods are sold all over the place from dollar stores to major retailers. And yet it's rare that people get electrocuted or homes burn down because someone used a fake, unapproved $5 charger instead of Apple's $50 genuine version ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
3494 posts
1911 upvotes
lecale wrote: You need to buy from vendors with an overall rating of *at least* 4.7+
That's no guarantee. I used to do that. But many Chinese 4.7+ vendors still don't ship the item and a few sneaky ones extend the "buyer protection" period without my consent, so I have to wait longer to file a dispute. I stopped buying from AliExpress. I now buy small items only from eBay and dxdotcom.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: That's no guarantee. I used to do that. But many Chinese 4.7+ vendors still don't ship the item and a few sneaky ones extend the "buyer protection" period without my consent, so I have to wait longer to file a dispute. I stopped buying from AliExpress. I now buy small items only from eBay and dxdotcom.
I used to shop at DX all the time but I feel they are more gadget-focussed & I like all the home hardware bits & pieces on Ali. DX is a great alternative for some things though.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1027 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
bylo wrote: Depends on what you're looking for. With low-priced items, say under $10, AliExpress is almost always cheaper than Amazon, even with the upgraded cost of shipping at the former and free shipping at the latter.

A recent example. I was looking for a NA to UK AC adapter. AliExpress was under $3. Amazon is at least $10. I'm in no hurry to get the item since we don't fly out until June. Indeed I could buy two of the item from separate sellers on AE, still pay less, and hedge against the chance that one will get lost.
I checked and you are right, the gap does exist, but I believe the reason is because we don't need "to UK" adapters in Canada so there's no demand / no incentive for sellers to sell them in Canada.

I checked amazon.co.uk, there are items for a more reasonable price (roughly 5 CAD):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Certi ... B09PFD42X6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gizmo-Visitor- ... 8VM9B3VCCO

out of stock, but available for order at 1.75gbp = 2.91 cad https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Elec-PE011 ... 247&sr=8-1

I think you can likely pick one up at around 2 gbp in a local 'dollar store/discount store' in the UK. I know you can pick them up for around the same price for "to North America" adapters at our dollar stores.

I'm genuinely curious what people are buying on aliexpress now with less of a price gap. I've actually seen many items cheaper at a local dollar store than AliExpress.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29130 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
intx wrote: I checked and you are right, the gap does exist, but I believe the reason is because we don't need "to UK" adapters in Canada so there's no demand / no incentive for sellers to sell them in Canada.
Those of us who plan to travel to the UK do. The last thing I want to do when I land in the UK is to try to find a store that sells these. You may be able to buy them at the airport but you'll pay a lot more than three quid. The same applies to EU adapters and other overseas adapters.

In any case I used that simply as an example. The same applies to a lot of computer cables, adapters, accessories, etc. AliExpress provides far more choices at much lower than Amazon prices. Yes, you can sometimes find what you need at dollar stores, but the selection is much more limited,
I'm genuinely curious what people are buying on aliexpress now with less of a price gap. I've actually seen many items cheaper at a local dollar store than AliExpress.
I've bought various items including the above computer stuff. I've also bought more esoteric items like replacement parts for a bread maker. As I recall Amazon wanted $15 while AE's price was under $5 including shipping. I was in no rush so the month delay was not an issue.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1793 posts
705 upvotes
Montreal
Did you just opened an account on here just to bash AliExpress? Wow..

I started buying from AliExpress since last December. Never had any negative experience. Some issues, yes, but they were all resolved satisfactorily. For example, I bought Samsung memory cards twice and got SanDisk instead. The seller was helpful in resolving the issue and they finally end up refunding 80% of the price paid and I get to keep the SanDisk memory card. Another time, I never got the item I purchased (phone cover), shipping delay expired and AliExpress immediately refunded total amount upon opening the dispute.

On top of all that, AliExpress has some amazing prices if you can wait out the delivery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)