32 upvotes

70mai Dash Cam Lite 1080P | $54.04 + $4.38 shipping

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
July 10, 2020
Retailer:
AliExpress
70mai (Xiaomi Brand) 1080p, 30fps low profile dash camera.
A sleek dash camera that does the job. I currently own the Cam Mini version of this (main difference is 1600p + no screen, so sharper image and smaller overall).
Main complaint I have is their obnoxious logo in the video. But this is mainly for insurance protection, so it's okay for the price.
  • Main Specs:
  • Video: Full HD 1080p, 30fps, MP4, H.264, View angle: 105°-140°
  • Battery: Lithium-ion Polymer Battery, Capacity: 500mAh (20 minutes off plug, Cam need to be connected to Power to record)
  • LCD IPS Screen: 4:3, non-touch, <3"
  • Parking Mointor w/ Built-in G-sensors
  • Cyclic Recording (Overwrites non-incident vidoes when full)

Interfaces:
  • Micro SD/TF (Class 10 or above), Max 64GB
  • Wi-Fi (2.4GHz)
  • USB2.0

Other Specs:
  • Model Number: Midrive D08
  • Sensor: Sony IMX307
  • Input: 5V /2A
  • Cable Length: 3.5M
  • Full Kit Accessories: 70mai Lite + Charger + cable+ Crowbar

Other Features:
  • Time & Date Display
  • Microphone
  • GPS Tracker + Location & Speed (Optional/Extra Module)
  • Cyclic Recording
  • Wide Dynamic Range

Other Versions:

70mai Dash Cam Lite + GPS: $67.44 + $4.38 Shipping

70mai Dash Cam Pro (1944P, Voice Control, Drive Assist Features, LCD): $78.99 + $4.38 Shipping

70mai Dash Cam Pro + GPS (1944P, Voice Control, Drive Assist Features, LCD, GPS, Wi-FI): $94 + $4.38 Shipping

70mai Dash Cam Mini (1600p, No LCD, no GPS, Wi-FI): $72.06 + $4.38 Shipping
Last edited by mussitate on Jul 6th, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
43 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14922 posts
15813 upvotes
Oakville
I have a couple of the 70mai 1S and while they're OK, I don't think they're worth more than $40 CAD. Other complaints are that it only allows 1 min recordings (so you have tons of files to sort through, you lose 2-5 seconds between each file, so up to 8% of events are missed.
Also the compression is pretty poor, so file sizes are huge.
As far as the logo goes, I'm not sure what you mean about insurance protection. I don't see how having their logo is relevant to anything.
They way they mount with the 3M sticker is great. Very subtle when mounted near the rear view window. Lack of side to side adjustment means they don't work well at the side of the front/rear windows and I've found that the GoPro style hinge doesn't hold well.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2017
26 posts
32 upvotes
engineered wrote: I have a couple of the 70mai 1S and while they're OK, I don't think they're worth more than $40 CAD. Other complaints are that it only allows 1 min recordings (so you have tons of files to sort through, you lose 2-5 seconds between each file, so up to 8% of events are missed.
As far as the logo goes, I'm not sure what you mean about insurance protection. I don't see how having their logo is relevant to anything.
They way they mount with the 3M sticker is great. Very subtle when mounted near the rear view window. Lack of side to side adjustment means they don't work well at the side of the front/rear windows and I've found that the GoPro style hinge doesn't hold well.
I agree I don't think the 70mai 1S is a good value right now, I'll remove it from the post.
By insurance protection, I meant that I don't like the logo on the video, but I can overlook it since I'm only using the dashcam for video evidence if I get into an accident.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3415 posts
3530 upvotes
Vancouver
What's with the big gold cylinder protruding from the side? Is that the rotating camera lens? Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of having an unobtrusive low profile mounting?

The Sony IMX307 sensor is ok, looks fine in comparison videos, although it has a slightly worse low-light signal-to-noise ratio spec than the more expensive IMX sensors.

The product listing says 130 deg viewing angle, which is about right. I know almost every other cheap camera claims 170 deg viewing angle, but that's the result of marketing idiots copying each other. The lens may have a 170 deg fov, but by the time you project that circular lens image onto a 16:9 rectangular sensor with a 5% margin at the edge to avoid edge effects, it becomes around 130 - 140 deg. horizontal angle of view in the image output.

What's the delivery time from AliExpress like these days?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14922 posts
15813 upvotes
Oakville
mussitate wrote: I agree I don't think the 70mai 1S is a good value right now, I'll remove it from the post.
By insurance protection, I meant that I don't like the logo on the video, but I can overlook it since I'm only using the dashcam for video evidence if I get into an accident.
OK, I see what you're saying. Yea, the logo isn't a deal killer, since I'm only using for commercial purposes.

Do the other cameras have the same limitations I mentioned as the 1S?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7376 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
only 1 minute recordings? is that not something that can be changed? Seems quite unnecessary to have it that short.

Also, I would add that % off on AliExpress are often well inflated, so 61% shouldn't be a surprised.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2017
26 posts
32 upvotes
engineered wrote: OK, I see what you're saying. Yea, the logo isn't a deal killer, since I'm only using for commercial purposes.

Do the other cameras have the same limitations I mentioned as the 1S?
trixR4kids wrote: only 1 minute recordings? is that not something that can be changed? Seems quite unnecessary to have it that short.

Also, I would add that % off on AliExpress are often well inflated, so 61% shouldn't be a surprised.
I have the 70mai Cam Mini, so it might be different, but for the recording time, it's about 2-3mins for each recording with about 300MB each.
I don't see the 8s delay between recordings.
One thing is, I don't view the recordings on the app, I transfer them to my laptop. It's pretty slow over wifi if you want to view multiple videos.

Also I think you can change some settings in the app, I'll check once I can get to the camera.
Last edited by mussitate on Jul 6th, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1747 posts
946 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
I have two of the 70mai Cam Pro (? I guess that's what they're calling it now, it was just "70 mai" when I bought it) that I bought in November 2018. Upgraded from the Yi Dash Camera. I think the 70mai video and picture quality is better than the Yi.
I actually don't recall the 1 minute limit for videos, but I also haven't updated the firmware for the cameras since I got them... I can check the existing footage I have the next time I go out.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2017
26 posts
32 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: What's with the big gold cylinder protruding from the side? Is that the rotating camera lens? Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of having an unobtrusive low profile mounting?

The Sony IMX307 sensor is ok, looks fine in comparison videos, although it has a slightly worse low-light signal-to-noise ratio spec than the more expensive IMX sensors.

The product listing says 130 deg viewing angle, which is about right. I know almost every other cheap camera claims 170 deg viewing angle, but that's the result of marketing idiots copying each other. The lens may have a 170 deg fov, but by the time you project that circular lens image onto a 16:9 rectangular sensor with a 5% margin at the edge to avoid edge effects, it becomes around 130 - 140 deg. horizontal angle of view in the image output.

What's the delivery time from AliExpress like these days?
The camera lens isn't that big, although the color does stick out. It's pretty well hidden behind the rearview mirror.

Last order from AliExpress @ April 14 came June 26, so about 2+ months. That was peak covid lockdown though, so I think it'll be faster now.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14922 posts
15813 upvotes
Oakville
trixR4kids wrote: only 1 minute recordings? is that not something that can be changed? Seems quite unnecessary to have it that short.
Yes, I would assume that all of their cameras have similar limitations.
mussitate wrote: I have the 70mai Cam Mini, so it might be different, but for the recording time, it's about 2-3mins for each recording with about 300MB each.
I don't see the 8s delay between recordings.
One thing is, I don't view the recordings on the app, I transfer them to my laptop. It's pretty slow over wifi if you want to view multiple videos.

Also I think you can change some settings in the app, I'll check once I can get to the camera.
It'd be great if you could check. Still, 3 min is pretty short. I would consider 5min the minimum. Which is what I set my other cameras to, to keep file sizes in check. Are you sure there aren't any gaps between files?
And yea, the wifi is unbearably slow.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1365 posts
921 upvotes
Calgary
I have the 70mai pro for over a year and am quite happy with it. These dash cams are sold on all the Chinese sites, Banggood , TomTop, etc. I was able to find a coupon and get it shipped to me for about $45 US from Banggood, but it took me almost 3 months for it to arrive Smiling Face With Horns. I'm not saying you can get this for the same price, but I suggest people hunt around for coupons for the various sites, if you are looking for one
Nov 23, 2004
553 posts
850 upvotes
Ontario
Short (1-3 minute) clips on dashcams is quite common to prevent against file corruption, and also to ensure that when the camera starts looping back on the card that very minimal previous data is being deleted with each loop. If it were to record really long clips and hit a bad part of the SD card, run out of buffer, etc. then you could risk losing something really critical, same applies if it were to start looping and have to delete the first 15++ minutes, rather than only the first 1 minute as it goes through each clip to overwrite. I would question the quality of any dashcam that doesn't do short clips, rather than the reverse.
Dec 9, 2001
435 posts
191 upvotes
Vancouver
engineered wrote: I have a couple of the 70mai 1S and while they're OK, I don't think they're worth more than $40 CAD. Other complaints are that it only allows 1 min recordings (so you have tons of files to sort through, you lose 2-5 seconds between each file, so up to 8% of events are missed.

I have the 70mai pro. Light has similar firmware, but the pro usually goes on sale for $52USD so might as well wait for it.
You can select 1,3,5 minute recording lengths.
You can turn off the logo.
You can select x265 codec for better compression and smaller file size.
mr plow wrote: This appears to be the same model - on sale and local for those stores with stock:

$49.99 at Canada Computers
This is not the same model as the one in this thread, it's their lowest end model.