Locked: Cheapest WiFi 6 router: Huawei AX3 Wifi 6 + 3000mbps USD $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 7:46 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17241 posts
7077 upvotes
Oakville
elfion wrote: you know wifi has nothing to do with internet right? it is your local network. you can take advantage of high speed network connection without any internet connection at all.
As long as all the devices connected to it are connected via wifi 6, any way.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jan 13, 2009
594 posts
219 upvotes
wearysky wrote: As long as all the devices connected to it are connected via wifi 6, any way.
off topic but I honestly prefer a wired connection to everything that does not move around and I don't need very fast connection in the items that do. so 802.11n is enough for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4950 posts
4528 upvotes
Considering 6E was just allowed by the FCC, and considering that modern WIFI6 hardware is rather easily modified to support 6E, I would NOT purchase any WIFI6 hardware that hasn't guaranteed 6E support, either now, or in the future.

WIFI6 alone doesn't really improve things too much even if all your devices support it. 6E is the big one, over 1GHz of spectrum added.
Jul 22, 2009
231 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto

On topic: I think this router would be fine for a small home with not too many devices that also support the current Wifi 6 protocol, otherwise an entry level AC router could probably do the same. I can see the processor and ram being limiting factors, but given the price, I don't think you can really ask for that much more.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4950 posts
4528 upvotes
mikele59 wrote: is like to say : do not buy house now wait 10 years you will have one bigger ... Which is stupid with Covid as neighbor ...
No, it's not at all the same.

Wifi6E is basically Wifi6, on many devices the hardware is already there, since the manufacturers were expecting at least part of the band to be opened for use. For many devices it's a firmware update, that's it.

It's like buying a house and finding a locked room. All you need is the key to get access to that room.

That said, DO NOT buy a WIFI 6 router that doesn't either already have 6E support (coming very soon) or a firm and trusted promise it will get support, it's a complete waste of money otherwise.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2018
6 posts
28 upvotes
4zim wrote: How much difference would the quad core make? And I’m guessing there isn’t an opportunity to mesh units together?
it supports mesh both wirelessly and wired if you buy multiple units.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2189 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
It's funny how this Wifi 6 router does not have Wifi 6 listed as a supported protocol (802.11ax) under Specifications.
Jul 16, 2008
247 posts
64 upvotes
ON
Britex wrote: It's funny how this Wifi 6 router does not have Wifi 6 listed as a supported protocol (802.11ax) under Specifications.
Are you surprised? As it is coming from Chinese company, why would you expect it to meet specifications?

Look at all the PPE and masks that China sold to Canada and other countries, we are paying inflated price for inferior product.
Mar 10, 2011
267 posts
171 upvotes
Niagara
rainor94 wrote: Get an Asus router. Taiwanese company, and you can flash it with Merlin https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
Thanks. I'll check them out again.
See sumtin'. Say sumtin'. ('less someone else already did)
Nov 2, 2004
70 posts
24 upvotes
Britex wrote: It's funny how this Wifi 6 router does not have Wifi 6 listed as a supported protocol (802.11ax) under Specifications.
"Wireless 802.11ax/ac/n/a 2 x 2 & 802.11ax/n/b/g 2 x 2, MU-MIMO
Wireless speed is up to 2976 Mbps (2.4 GHz: 574 Mbps; 5 GHz: 2402 Mbps)"
maybe read more carefully?
Jul 13, 2016
250 posts
368 upvotes
If you don't have any other 802.11ax devices, there is literally no advantage. Waiting until you do have other devices, and until the technology matures a bit and they work out the kinks of their implementation, seems like a good idea to me.

Buying this is just a gamble really - it's cheap but it might or might not be garbage.

802.11ax benefits are negligible until a majority of your devices support it. By far the biggest advantage is spectrum scheduling, and if you have 10 devices that don't even know what scheduling is, a couple devices that do aren't going to make any difference.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2189 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
xiaohua wrote: "Wireless 802.11ax/ac/n/a 2 x 2 & 802.11ax/n/b/g 2 x 2, MU-MIMO
Wireless speed is up to 2976 Mbps (2.4 GHz: 574 Mbps; 5 GHz: 2402 Mbps)"
maybe read more carefully?
I was very clear in my post that the protocol is not listed under their SPECIFICATIONS. Perhaps you need to read more carefully.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2189 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA
j3390659 wrote: Are you surprised? As it is coming from Chinese company, why would you expect it to meet specifications?

Look at all the PPE and masks that China sold to Canada and other countries, we are paying inflated price for inferior product.
No, I really shouldn't be surprised when these types of "errors" are commonplace. Just like how, again in their Specifications, they claim the wired speed is 4000Mbps. That is like claiming a Fast Ethernet switch with 10 ports is gigabit. It sure looks like purposeful deception, but, if there's no recourse they will continue their ways.