Hot Deals

[Aliexpress.com] Asus ROG Phone 2 128gb $682 (free shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 12:07 am
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1595 posts
241 upvotes
Kitchener
JoeShamoozer wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 3:28 pm
How come?
Because they lie on the customs declaration. Either they label it as a warranty, or a gift valued below the gift limit or very close to the gift limit. CBSA tends to turn a blind eye with shipments from China for whatever reason as well and Canada Post often couldn't be arsed with collecting $1 worth of taxes when it goes above the value.
Jan 17, 2008
667 posts
297 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 8:22 pm
Why if you're not concerned about great camera quality? The camera on it is the best on a phone... the software could use work, but the imx586 is untouched in terms of sensors right now.
The Asus Rog 2 has a pretty good camera, but it's the same rear camera setup as the Asus Zenfone 6. The camera quality on the Huawei P30 Pro is substantially better than both the Rog and Zenfone 6, especially in low light conditions.
I have not found any Rog 2 reviews that indicate the camera quality is 'excellent', nevermind claiming it's "the best on a phone". Most reviews describes the camera as "good" or "decent", or "mediocre". GSMArena went a bit too far IMO and called the Rog 2 picture quailty "dull". https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone ... 1870p7.php
This is what they offer as a conclusion... "As for the camera, it's like Razer didn't even bother making it good in any way.."
^ What a d**k, eh??

Huawei's P30 Pro has the best camera on a phone today. It's almost a consensus among reviewers.
Here's a comparison video between the Zenfone 6 and the P30 Pro.

I know it's not the Rog 2, but the hardware is identical. There's no magic software that will improve the picture quality on the Rog 2 to make up the difference with the P30 Pro.

I understand that you are excited with the new toy, so this sort of stuff is excusable early on. But let's try to stay grounded in truths.

Enjoy the device. I'm a bit jealous TBH.
Cheers
Last edited by jestik on Sep 16th, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13370 posts
3653 upvotes
London
jestik wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:56 am
The Asus Rog 2 has a pretty good camera, but it's the same rear camera setup as the Asus Zenfone 6. The camera quality on the Huawei P30 Pro is substantially better than both the Rog and Zenfone 6, especially in low light conditions.
I have not found any Rog 2 reviews that indicate the camera quality is 'excellent', nevermind claiming it's "the best on a phone". Most reviews describes the camera as "good" or "decent", or "mediocre". GSMArena went a bit too far IMO and called the Rog 2 picture quailty "dull". https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_rog_phone ... 1870p7.php

Huawei's P30 Pro has the best camera on a phone today. It's almost a consensus among reviewers.
Here's a comparison video between the Zenfone 6 and the P30 Pro.

I know it's not the Rog 2, but the hardware is identical. There's no magic software that will improve the picture quality on the Rog 2 to make up the difference with the P30 Pro.

I understand that you are excited with the new toy, so this sort of stuff is excusable early on. But let's try to stay grounded in truths.

Enjoy the device. I'm a bit jealous TBH.
Cheers
This is purely because of software. The actual hardware is the best you can get on a phone right now. The ONLY reason the P30 Pro is the highest rated camera out there is because of it's software. The IMX586 is the best sensor you can get on a phone. Period.

I've also owned 3 P30 Pros.
Nov 22, 2016
26 posts
21 upvotes
this is a pretty good phone with a pretty good price tag on it. only deal breaker for me is no wireless qi charging.
Jan 17, 2008
667 posts
297 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 11:11 am
This is purely because of software. The actual hardware is the best you can get on a phone right now. The ONLY reason the P30 Pro is the highest rated camera out there is because of it's software. The IMX586 is the best sensor you can get on a phone. Period.

I've also owned 3 P30 Pros.
1. The IMX586 is not the best sensor on a phone.... https://www.deviceranks.com/en/camera-sensor
2. There's over 30 devices with the IMX586 sensor... you saying there's 30 phones that produces better pictures than the P30 Pro simply because the you falsely claim the IMX586 sensor is better than what the P30 Pro has?
3. The P30 Pro uses the IMX650. See the above link. The 650 is rated better in all 3 categories. But those are numbers. Using my eye test the photos produced by the P30 Pro just look better.

Like I said, you're excited with the new toy so this stuff can be excused, and is even reasonable.... to a point.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13370 posts
3653 upvotes
London
jestik wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 11:39 am
1. The IMX586 is not the best sensor on a phone.... https://www.deviceranks.com/en/camera-sensor
2. There's over 30 devices with the IMX586 sensor... you saying there's 30 phones that produces better pictures than the P30 Pro simply because the you falsely claim the IMX586 sensor is better than what the P30 Pro has?
3. The P30 Pro uses the IMX650. See the above link. The 650 is rated better in all 3 categories. But those are numbers. Using my eye test the photos produced by the P30 Pro just look better.

Like I said, you're excited with the new toy so this stuff can be excused, and is even reasonable.... to a point.
It has nothing to do with a new toy. It has to do with actual use of the products to their fullest potential. I would take the Mi 9 over the P30 Pro for almost all shooting situations too.

Even on Huawei devices, the Honor 20 Pro uses the 586 and has better images from that sensor than the P30 Pro's main sensor. The P30 Pro only score 1 point higher at DXO because of it's zoom lens.

Again, I have EXTENSIVELY used the P30 Pro. It's a great camera. Probably the best because of it's zoom lens. If it didn't have that lens, it wouldn't even be talked about though. THe P20 Pro was also highly rated but the camera on it was mostly garbage outside of night mode (at least when it first came out. They did do minor improvements to the post processing later, but it still doesn't compare to any other flagship)
Jan 17, 2008
667 posts
297 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 11:59 am
It has nothing to do with a new toy. It has to do with actual use of the products to their fullest potential. I would take the Mi 9 over the P30 Pro for almost all shooting situations too.

Even on Huawei devices, the Honor 20 Pro uses the 586 and has better images from that sensor than the P30 Pro's main sensor. The P30 Pro only score 1 point higher at DXO because of it's zoom lens.

Again, I have EXTENSIVELY used the P30 Pro. It's a great camera. Probably the best because of it's zoom lens. If it didn't have that lens, it wouldn't even be talked about though. THe P20 Pro was also highly rated but the camera on it was mostly garbage outside of night mode (at least when it first came out. They did do minor improvements to the post processing later, but it still doesn't compare to any other flagship)
I am open to believing you, but one source (your opinion) isn't enough to sway me after I've come across so many places that rave about the P30 Pro, calling the sensors "groundbreaking". If you paste some sources I'd love to give them a read.
Cheers
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13370 posts
3653 upvotes
London
jestik wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 12:35 pm
I am open to believing you, but one source (your opinion) isn't enough to sway me after I've come across so many places that rave about the P30 Pro, calling the sensors "groundbreaking". If you paste some sources I'd love to give them a read.
Cheers
I already referenced the be-all-end-all for phone camera reviews. The scores on the camera are better at DXO on the Honor 20 Pro compared to the P30 Pro. The P30 pro scored 1 point higher because of a much better zoom score.
Dec 17, 2018
15 posts
76 upvotes
Thanks OP - For the specs and price it is a good deal in my opinion. With the seller coupons the total came out to $690.66. Let see how long the wait is...
Jan 17, 2008
667 posts
297 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 12:47 pm
I already referenced the be-all-end-all for phone camera reviews. The scores on the camera are better at DXO on the Honor 20 Pro compared to the P30 Pro. The P30 pro scored 1 point higher because of a much better zoom score.
interesting. But I would really like to know how they weight the scores. DXO themselves say the scores aren't a straight forward sum or average of their subcategories. Each subcategory is ranked to what THEY feel is important, and then the subcategories are weighted based on the ranked subcategories. So it's tough to say ONLY the zoom throws the overall scare in the P30's direction since we don't know how the categories are weighted.

Also, I am still trying to find somewhere that contradicts the url I posted above. I am looking for something that says the 586 is the better sensor over the 650. Anyway, that is on me.

Cheers. And enjoy the phone!
May 8, 2010
40 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 9:57 am
AFAIK the Tencent version just has their logo and some exclusive software installed
Here is the difference between the Global (Malaysian) and the China "tencent" version.
Was about to buy but saw that the Tencent version is missing a bunch of bands

NOTE: The phone OP has listed is the "Tencent" variant which was released for the Chinese market not global.
Oct 3, 2009
138 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
nitro wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 10:18 pm
The put "RMA Phone" as a description on my package to make it go through as a replacement to avoid taxes.
How much did you pay CAD
Oct 3, 2009
138 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 10:56 pm
After a few hours of usage here are some impressions

Pros:

The screen. Not only is it crazy smooth,but the image quality is excellent
The size. Giant!
The speakers are by far the loudest I have ever heard in a phone(it hurts my ears to have it max while playing s game)
Battery life seems amazing
Locked 60fps in pubg maxed out
Triggers are awesome

Cons
Video doesn't work on camera
I keep getting a Chinese message at the bottom of the screen when I try to go to the home screen
Size is too big for most
Can't seem to sort games in armoury crate
Sound quality is lacking on the low end
Are all the specs as advertised?
Dec 25, 2009
51 posts
8 upvotes
So the price has gone down another 20 USD from when I bought it just 5 days ago. I'm planning on sending a message to see if I can get the difference though I'm not overly optimistic, anyone else have experience with aliexpress/price guarantee stuff?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13370 posts
3653 upvotes
London
w00pw0p wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 10:59 pm
So the price has gone down another 20 USD from when I bought it just 5 days ago. I'm planning on sending a message to see if I can get the difference though I'm not overly optimistic, anyone else have experience with aliexpress/price guarantee stuff?
They have no price protection

It's not uncommon for phones to have wild swings day by day