Hot Deals

[Aliexpress.com] Asus ROG Phone 2 128gb $682 (free shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 12:07 am
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1723 posts
619 upvotes
Montreal
The amount of accessories this phone has is bonkers. Check out this Unbox Therapy video:

I quite surprised at the price actually - good deal!
I expected this phone to be a bit more expensive.
Aug 19, 2018
973 posts
990 upvotes
b33f wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 12:05 pm
The amount of accessories this phone has is bonkers. Check out this Unbox Therapy video:

It is still expensive, one of the phone I was looking for.

The only reason this is cheap is because of the Chinese variant. You are losing band support.

Like, seriously, if a certain band isn't important the carrier wouldn't spend the money to buy it. You are definitely buying a phone that is nerfed in Canada. It might still be worth it for some though
Jan 17, 2009
431 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 11:45 am
Yes on Robelus
Bobcat11 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 11:54 am
Will it work on bell or only Roger's?
I believe Robelus means all big 3: Rogers/Bell/Telus
Aug 8, 2014
83 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am very interested in this phone and at $700 the price seems right.
BUT... the CN rom seems like a problem. Flashing seems easy enough but according to a XDA post, flashing the global firmware means you lose:
  • ROG Hidden Theme
  • WIFI Dual Band
  • Netflix Streaming at 1080/720P
I can live with the first one, and maybe even the third one since I don't really watch Netflix on my phone. But losing dual band wifi is a little too much for me.
Not to mention unlocking bootloader has it's own problems. You lose warranty (but then again it's a phone imported from China), Google Pay, and OTA updates.
I used to love rooting my phone and all but now I just can't be bothered with that process; I'd rather just have my updates come automatically and for Google Pay to work out of the box.
If it saves enough money, I suppose I might consider doing all that again.

So I guess I'll just be waiting for either a global release (and deciding whether the price difference is worth the troubles) or for the above software issues to be fixed. It's still an excellent price for the hardware but there are too many compromises for me personally.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13374 posts
3656 upvotes
London
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 12:14 pm
It is still expensive, one of the phone I was looking for.

The only reason this is cheap is because of the Chinese variant. You are losing band support.

Like, seriously, if a certain band isn't important the carrier wouldn't spend the money to buy it. You are definitely buying a phone that is nerfed in Canada. It might still be worth it for some though
Again, it supports everything but the 700mhz spectrum. This is FAR AND AWAY the least used network and is useless unless you are indoors due to it's low speed.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2510 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
b33f wrote:
The amount of accessories this phone has is bonkers.
Wonder if the Chinese version of the phone comes with all of these accessories though
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13374 posts
3656 upvotes
London
ashihtaka wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 3:29 pm
Wonder if the Chinese version of the phone comes with all of these accessories though
No

Those accessories add several hundred dollars to the cost of the phone
Oct 18, 2016
318 posts
172 upvotes
I'm going to wait and see what the global version costs. I believe that version is supposed to have an option to run either Zen UI or Android stock - which is fantastic. And, I'm really curious as to what the camera quality will be like on this phone.

Some of the reviewers mentioned that 855+ gets really hot and thermal throttles (some phones reduct as much as 40% of their performance from the prolonged heat) hence the fan add-on that ASUS has created for this phone. I wonder if it also has these issues in YouTube watching, etc.
Jan 4, 2008
442 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
b33f wrote:

That modularity... is amazing. At first I was like this is some gimmick but now I am am questioning my S10+ purchase.
Aug 19, 2018
973 posts
990 upvotes
turtleh wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 4:42 pm
That modularity... is amazing. At first I was like this is some gimmick but now I am am questioning my S10+ purchase.
They are pretty nice if they are not extremely costly.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/asus- ... verviewtab
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/asus- ... rzjfwk845w
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/asus- ... verviewtab
Dec 13, 2010
93 posts
46 upvotes
If you don't flash to the global rom what won't work here in NA?

Any guess on what the global rom version from Aliexpress will cost?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13374 posts
3656 upvotes
London
chrisguy wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 8:31 pm
If you don't flash to the global rom what won't work here in NA?

Any guess on what the global rom version from Aliexpress will cost?
You won't have had Netflix and you'll need to manually install global services

You'll have to manually install your apps since a cloud restore during initial setup won't be possible

I'd guess the global phone comes in at $1200
Feb 11, 2019
268 posts
325 upvotes
ON
Bessem wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 9:34 am
will this run Candy Crash with Ultra setting ?
Surely you mean Candy Crysis
Oct 24, 2015
208 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
if you scroll down to FAQ at bottom of ad. Apparently they install google play store and a global rom for you..

A: We usually open the original sealed box to double test and install google play store and multi-language rom, which not support ota (online upgrading software), if you want the sealed box, leave notes when you make orders to remind us, but then you need to install multi-language and google play store by yourself !!)

Notice: We suggest you not restore to factory or root with other version firmware, which may cause date loss or dead of phone, and lose our repair warranty.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13374 posts
3656 upvotes
London
My order has already shipped!

Will report back when it arrives and let you guys know how it is.