Expired Hot Deals

[Aliexpress.com] RevoNext QT2S In Ear Monitor (IEM) earbuds - $22.50US - $23.40US +shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 2:37 pm
Aug 2, 2014
293 posts
200 upvotes
Vancity
craftsman wrote: After doing a bit more research, a few people online have said two nice upgrades for these IEM are:

1. Memory foam tips to replace the silicone ones - it seems that the silicone ones don't seal well enough and may add to the highs reported by some users. Also, the memory foam offers a better seal for the ear and a higher level of comfort. Many users have said that the KZ assorted tip package works well with these IEM. The best deal I've found for these is - $1.61 US SHIPPED

The best deal I could find on an 8-core cord with what seems like metal shells on the connector (seems fitting for a metal shelled IEM) are these from TRN - $7.20 US Shipped. Just pick your colour and plug sizes (you want the 0.78mm for the QT2s)
Is there a version with a mic? I find browsing through AliExpress overwhelming.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yeti13 wrote: Is there a version with a mic? I find browsing through AliExpress overwhelming.
I get the same feeling about overwhelming... too many vendors selling the same thing with different prices and sometimes different names!

As for your question, not that I can find... I've found a 4 core cable but that's basically what the OEM supplies so if you were going to order an IEM, order the mic cable for a little bit more and get a plain cable for listening. I couldn't even find an 8 core cable with a remote without a mic which would have been nice!

I think where the problem lies is that the higher core cables are generally considered more 'audiophile' and therefore have, as an option, the 2.5mm balanced cable which takes the spot on the connector that the microphone would have connected to so in order to avoid confusion (ie people thinking that they can get a balanced cable with a microphone), they just don't offer it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just got them today and burning them in now which is pretty darn good considering the various other experiences I have had with Aliexpress in the past. I haven't had a good listen to them yet so I won't comment on the sound quality but I'm happy with the look and the feel of the IEM - they are nicely built (at least from the outside).

On the other hand, the cord isn't what I would call a medium end cord... The gold (or at least it looks like a gold colour) plating on the 3.5mm jack is faded without any kind of shine to it but the pins that plug into the IEM seem to be fine. The sad thing is that this is the better quality cord when compared with the QT2! I'm glad I ordered an upgraded 8 core cord which should arrive in a few days according to the tracking.
Aug 19, 2008
974 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
Received these yesterday and I am hearing quite a bit of overwhelming high's. When the earphones are sealed properly, they produce nice and balanced sound, however that is hard to achieve with the weight balance, these are quite top heavy, thus I'll be picking up the foam inserts and see how they do.
Aside from that sound quality is great.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mxzas wrote: Received these yesterday and I am hearing quite a bit of overwhelming high's. When the earphones are sealed properly, they produce nice and balanced sound, however that is hard to achieve with the weight balance, these are quite top heavy, thus I'll be picking up the foam inserts and see how they do.
Aside from that sound quality is great.
Have you tried a different tip? It should have came with large, medium, and small tips. The other thing you might want to look at is upgrading to a stiffer cable than the one that comes with it. I wouldn't order the cable I ordered just yet as I did some more research and, at least, the early revisions of the cable had some major issues with some of the cores not actually connected to anything. I should be receiving the cable today where I will be taking a closer look to see if the current revision still has the same issue.

Mine also arrived with the earpieces wired out of phases with each other so much of the bass and upper bass was missing when I was listening to them - there have been scattered reports across the 'net of that happening with the QT2 so I expected that to have been fixed for the QT2s but it looks like it has not been. I would advise that you do some testing in terms of phase to verify that they are wired correctly as well as that might account for the overwhelming highs depending on the type of music you are listening to.
Aug 19, 2008
974 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: Have you tried a different tip? It should have came with large, medium, and small tips. The other thing you might want to look at is upgrading to a stiffer cable than the one that comes with it. I wouldn't order the cable I ordered just yet as I did some more research and, at least, the early revisions of the cable had some major issues with some of the cores not actually connected to anything. I should be receiving the cable today where I will be taking a closer look to see if the current revision still has the same issue.

Mine also arrived with the earpieces wired out of phases with each other so much of the bass and upper bass was missing when I was listening to them - there have been scattered reports across the 'net of that happening with the QT2 so I expected that to have been fixed for the QT2s but it looks like it has not been. I would advise that you do some testing in terms of phase to verify that they are wired correctly as well as that might account for the overwhelming highs depending on the type of music you are listening to.
I'm using the one that came with the earphones, i suppose it's medium? The cable seems fine, I have no complaints with.

I tried plugging it out of phase, however i did not notice any difference. I suppose it would only matter if they are speakers instead of headphones? Since the waves cancellation will only happen in sound waves colliding?
Aug 19, 2008
974 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
earphones.PNG
Another question, how are you guys wearing this? 1 or 2? I feel like 2 has better seal, 1 falls out easily.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mxzas wrote: I'm using the one that came with the earphones, i suppose it's medium? The cable seems fine, I have no complaints with.

I tried plugging it out of phase, however i did not notice any difference. I suppose it would only matter if they are speakers instead of headphones? Since the waves cancellation will only happen in sound waves colliding?
I believe the extra sets with the earphones are Small and Large... you should try those to see if they fit better.

You'll be able to hear the different on bass passages. With the earphones out of phase, I noticed that if I adjust the EQ on the bass side of things, it doesn't make a heck of a difference.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mxzas wrote: earphones.PNG

Another question, how are you guys wearing this? 1 or 2? I feel like 2 has better seal, 1 falls out easily.
The problem with 2 is that the cable that comes with the set are formed to go with 1.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I received the TRN 8 core cable today and while they look good in the ad as well as on several websites, I found a thread that actually measured and dissected them when they first came out and found that some of the cores were connected incorrectly while others weren't connected at all to the 3.5mm plug. In the thread, they said they let TRN know and the newer 16-core ones were wired correctly. Since I just ordered them when I ordered the IEMs, I was hoping that the 8-core cable issue may have been corrected since the 16-core (a much harder job to do) was correctly wired...

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the current stock is the same incorrect configuration as the original with the same problems - uneven resistance for each of the channels and the ground (due to incorrect wiring) as well as a number of the cores not being connected to anything. According to that same thread, the difference can barely be heard between the channels.

Now what does that mean when compared to the OE supplied cable? Well, I measured the OE cable's resistance and got approx 800 mOhms across everything. The TRN cable measured approx 1/2 of that for the worst connection and 1/4 of that at the best (Ground).

The funny thing is if you read through that entire thread from beginning to end, the TRN 8 core cable was originally cheered as the best budget cable out there with a great level of performance with improved sound quality. Once the 'discovery' was made that the cable wasn't as advertised, suddenly everyone turned on the cable (and rightly so).

I'll be filing a dispute with Aliexpress on the cable and if probably on the IEMs as well if RevoNext doesn't step up and fix my IEMs.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12582 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RevoNext did step up to the plate and are sending me a replacement IEMs. They would like me to send my original set back to them on their dime as they would like to examine them to see what went wrong but I believe they are having problems making that happen as they haven't updated me on what they want to do.

The cable is an ongoing saga as they don't want to refund the money but they agree that the cable is defective and want me to buy another cable off of them and pay the difference.