• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 6:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3426 posts
80 upvotes
I have used Aliexpress for many purchases, like probably 100+ and never had an issue. I would say its more likely your credit card got compromised somewhere else.
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1280 posts
393 upvotes
milhaus wrote: I realize I have no proof that Aliexpress compromised the card, only a feeling..
the feeling is a bias you have. you should explore why you have that feeling and confront it. Hopefully you can realize your feeling isn't justified and doesn't affect other aspects of your life
Nov 11, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
Hi! So this is very old but what I did was bought like a MasterCard/visa the reloadable ones so that there was no way of them getting a hold of credit card info
May 8, 2013
682 posts
621 upvotes
London
My bank card was compromised 4 days ago, Ali express and PayPal are the only ones with the info I think :S
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7332 posts
1617 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Very old thread, I know, but I just found this thread on RFD - was checking about a small order from a Ali Express merchant and concerned about CC fraud.

Interesting that the Ali Express site shows paypal as a payment option, which is what I pretty much always use, but after I completed my order and was ready to pay, the paypal option was no longer there.
Found out that only some merchants take paypal on Ali Express, the one I wanted to buy from obviously doesn't.

I had my MC compromised a few month ago (not on Ali Express) ordering on line so I'm a bit more cautious now using any merchant (except for big brand names) who don't take paypal.
At that time I cancelled my MC, took a week to get a replacement which in itself was a pain since I use it every day, had no fraudulent charges when I cancelled but interestingly enough three fraudulent charges showed up a few days after I cancelled the card.
That was really surprising!
Got reimbursed eventually

Finally ordered from Ali Express using a Visa card which I don't use much so if I have to replace it, it's not as painful as replacing my day-to-day MasterCard.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21095 posts
31833 upvotes
ONTARIO
krs wrote: Very old thread, I know, but I just found this thread on RFD - was checking about a small order from a Ali Express merchant and concerned about CC fraud.

Interesting that the Ali Express site shows paypal as a payment option, which is what I pretty much always use, but after I completed my order and was ready to pay, the paypal option was no longer there.
Found out that only some merchants take paypal on Ali Express, the one I wanted to buy from obviously doesn't.

I had my MC compromised a few month ago (not on Ali Express) ordering on line so I'm a bit more cautious now using any merchant (except for big brand names) who don't take paypal.
At that time I cancelled my MC, took a week to get a replacement which in itself was a pain since I use it every day, had no fraudulent charges when I cancelled but interestingly enough three fraudulent charges showed up a few days after I cancelled the card.
That was really surprising!
Got reimbursed eventually

Finally ordered from Ali Express using a Visa card which I don't use much so if I have to replace it, it's not as painful as replacing my day-to-day MasterCard.
You should look into getting one of those free reloadable prepaid visa cards if you're paranoid about using your main cards online. Free and no fees so might as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7332 posts
1617 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
BobSagget wrote: You should look into getting one of those free reloadable prepaid visa cards if you're paranoid about using your main cards online. Free and no fees so might as well.
Thanks. but no thanks....

I actually had a $100.- Visa Gift card I received as part of a Virgin Mobile promotion.
Wouldn't work where I wanted to use it on line since they wanted a name and address associated with it - which of course didn't exist.
I have also seen a number of merchants who take credit cards but not pre-paid cards.
And even if you can use the card on line, it becomes a problem if the amount left is less than the total bill since one cannot use the remainder of the gift card balance plus another card for the remainder.

Someone on RFD suggested I use the $100 Visa Gift card to to buy a $100.- credit on amazon.
I did that and it worked out perfectly.

I actually use my main card on line constantly - even with a number of Chinese suppliers like DealExtreme, BuyInCoins, Focal Price etc., not sure why I feel uneasy using it with Ali Express merchants.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10357 posts
5672 upvotes
Toronto
Last year my TD CC was comprised, Someone made an order on AliExpress with that TD CC.
I immediately called TD fraud department and blocked that card. TD refunded me the amount and acknowledged the transaction was made overseas somewhere else than Toronto.
Cancelled that order on AliExpress, ever since AliExpress has blocked my name, address and CC due to that.
FWIW, i tried making a new AliExpress account and used a new CC but they blocked it. They require me to submit extra documents like passport/Drivers license which i'm unwilling to give to them.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21095 posts
31833 upvotes
ONTARIO
krs wrote: Thanks. but no thanks....

I actually had a $100.- Visa Gift card I received as part of a Virgin Mobile promotion.
Wouldn't work where I wanted to use it on line since they wanted a name and address associated with it - which of course didn't exist.
I have also seen a number of merchants who take credit cards but not pre-paid cards.
And even if you can use the card on line, it becomes a problem if the amount left is less than the total bill since one cannot use the remainder of the gift card balance plus another card for the remainder.

Someone on RFD suggested I use the $100 Visa Gift card to to buy a $100.- credit on amazon.
I did that and it worked out perfectly.

I actually use my main card on line constantly - even with a number of Chinese suppliers like DealExtreme, BuyInCoins, Focal Price etc., not sure why I feel uneasy using it with Ali Express merchants.
Oh I wouldn't use any of those prepaid ones. I recommend the KOHO card (www.koho.ca). I have one and it works great.
You sign up on their site and then through the koho app on your phone, you have access to your very own "virtual" visa card number you can use online immediately. They also send you an actual physical card in the mail as well (for free). Costs nothing and there's no fees. Even 0.5% cashback on all purchases.

I transfer funds over to the card from my bank account (via e-transfer) and it shows up on the card within like 10 minutes.
I don't think it's considered as a "pre-paid" card like others. I've used it all over the place online and never had a single issue with a merchant. They even have a feature in the app that allows you to lock/unlock the card in case you're extra paranoid.

Like use the card at a place, then immediately "lock" it so it can't be used again until you manually unlock it. It's pretty cool.
Jan 17, 2013
770 posts
364 upvotes
To reiterate the point here: use a prepaid credit card when shopping from sites such as AliExpress, BangGood, any other non-national online stores or even those third party sellers from Amazon.

If you are buying a prepaid credit card from the stores such as Shoppers, Superstore, etc, register the card in your name and address so that you can use it online.
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1134 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I just got an alert from TD Bank asking if I made a payment to CITY OF [NEARBY TOWN] for $50. I hadn't and my card was locked.

The interesting thing is that I usually only use this particular account for preauthorized purchases from very large multinational companies. I don't carry the card in my wallet and haven't used to to make in-store purchase.

However, I used the card to buy something from Aliexpress a week or so ago. Suddenly, it's compromised. I don't think it's a coincidence and will have to rething my Alibaba/Aliexpress purchase method in the future.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21095 posts
31833 upvotes
ONTARIO
BobSagget wrote: Oh I wouldn't use any of those prepaid ones. I recommend the KOHO card (www.koho.ca). I have one and it works great.
You sign up on their site and then through the koho app on your phone, you have access to your very own "virtual" visa card number you can use online immediately. They also send you an actual physical card in the mail as well (for free). Costs nothing and there's no fees. Even 0.5% cashback on all purchases.

I transfer funds over to the card from my bank account (via e-transfer) and it shows up on the card within like 10 minutes.
I don't think it's considered as a "pre-paid" card like others. I've used it all over the place online and never had a single issue with a merchant. They even have a feature in the app that allows you to lock/unlock the card in case you're extra paranoid.

Like use the card at a place, then immediately "lock" it so it can't be used again until you manually unlock it. It's pretty cool.
I know I recommended the KOHO card before but now I am recommending the STACK card (also free). KOHO is still a good card in my opinion, but I didn't realize until recently that with the STACK card you don't pay any FX fees. So it's better to use with AliExpress. You can pay in USD with your STACK card and save on the fees compared to paying in CAD on AliExpress.
May 2, 2013
291 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
My CC has been cloned three times at union station food court. I don't think it would have happened at Aliexpress.