• Nov 28th, 2018 5:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
695 posts
386 upvotes
Winnipeg
freeagent wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 10:03 am
Was thinking about buying. If you change the "ship to" at the top the page to Canada, then when you try to buy, it says Cannot deliver to Canada. So I guess not such a good deal for Canadians!
This must be a new thing because when I was looking at it a couple of days ago, it definitely showed a Canada shipping option.

I think AliExpress is acting in response to the Canada Post strike situation, because I've had merchants messaging me the last day or two regarding purchases earlier this week telling me that they may not be able to make the original shipping timelines.
Sep 7, 2014
786 posts
859 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
I'm not sure about these new models, but when I had my Lenovo Zuk Z2 I thought it was an unreal device for the price. Snapdragon 820, Adreno 530 GPU for super cheap.

The Lenovo software wasn't too bad, (but I'm a huge stock Android fan) so I wiped it and put on the Pixel Experience ROM and it was perfect. SO uses it now and she loves it.

Not sure how the ROM community is on these models, but if it's anything like the Zuk a stock-ish ROM can really make these things shine.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16585 posts
6463 upvotes
Oakville
ChippewaBarr wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 11:20 am
I'm not sure about these new models, but when I had my Lenovo Zuk Z2 I thought it was an unreal device for the price. Snapdragon 820, Adreno 530 GPU for super cheap.

The Lenovo software wasn't too bad, (but I'm a huge stock Android fan) so I wiped it and put on the Pixel Experience ROM and it was perfect. SO uses it now and she loves it.

Not sure how the ROM community is on these models, but if it's anything like the Zuk a stock-ish ROM can really make these things shine.
My Lenovo K3 Note was similarly a great device. and actually, the stock Indian Lenovo firmware , other than including a bunch of bloatware in terms of pre-installed games and apps (all removable), was almost pure stock Android.
56kbps wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 10:48 am
This must be a new thing because when I was looking at it a couple of days ago, it definitely showed a Canada shipping option.

I think AliExpress is acting in response to the Canada Post strike situation, because I've had merchants messaging me the last day or two regarding purchases earlier this week telling me that they may not be able to make the original shipping timelines.
This wouldn't be AliExpress specific - each seller on AliExpress chooses what shipping options they'll offer. Well, AliExpress might've removed surface shipping to Canada entirely, I haven't checked any other sellers to see. It looks like Lenovo is only offering surface shipping options, which means that they would be stuck dealing with CP strike issues - and the strike is in particular affecting packages arriving through Vancouver and Toronto, which is where 99% of the surface shipping options would be coming in through. I'm surprised they don't offer a DHL option though, which wouldn't be affected by the strike at all. Might be worth contacting Lenovo on AliExpres to see if they could offer a DHL shipping option (if you really want one of these)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24258 posts
1516 upvotes
Markham, ON
+1...even on $4 orders...retailers told me to cancel the order for full refund.

cant imagine the loss right now to a bunch of phone sellers for 11.11 because ppl are going to get them for free
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16585 posts
6463 upvotes
Oakville
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 4:35 pm
+1...even on $4 orders...retailers told me to cancel the order for full refund.

cant imagine the loss right now to a bunch of phone sellers for 11.11 because ppl are going to get them for free
Don't 11.11 orders generally get crazy delayed every year any way? Do people end up getting free phones every year?

I sent a note to the sellers on AliExpress and they said they *can* ship to Canada, btw, so if anybody is really interested in one of these they can give it a try. I was curious, dug up my old K3 Note, and it looks like people were making roms at least up to Android 8.1. I'm very surprised.
Jan 18, 2014
33 posts
5 upvotes
London
only has band 7 lte in canada. no band 4 or 17
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
I think many suppliers have stopped shipping to Canada until the postal dispute is settled and the mail backlog is cleared.
Mar 17, 2008
171 posts
27 upvotes
Ontario
freeagent wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 10:03 am
Was thinking about buying. If you change the "ship to" at the top the page to Canada, then when you try to buy, it says Cannot deliver to Canada. So I guess not such a good deal for Canadians!
We will be in USA starting early January. Wondering what would happen if I order for shipment there. It might arrive at Condo before we get there. No problem if there is no duty or other charges. But otherwise, thinking things may go awry if I am not there to pay. Maybe I should forget it and look for an upgrade to my Motorola e 2nd ed 8Gb down there. It works well, just need more memory, and it won't use the sd card for apps.
Mar 17, 2008
171 posts
27 upvotes
Ontario
BlairM750 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 8:46 pm
only has band 7 lte in canada. no band 4 or 17
Thanks for raising that concern. I know beans about these bans and the different types of 4G like FDD/TDD.

The K5 Play that I was looking at says:

Network:
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD LTE 850/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz

The 4G bands look like 5/??/??/4/7 . How about FDD - does that work in North America?

Some of the other Lenovo phones I looked at had similar frequency capabilities.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16585 posts
6463 upvotes
Oakville
freeagent wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 10:58 am
Thanks for raising that concern. I know beans about these bans and the different types of 4G like FDD/TDD.

The K5 Play that I was looking at says:

Network:
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD LTE 850/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz

The 4G bands look like 5/??/??/4/7 . How about FDD - does that work in North America?

Some of the other Lenovo phones I looked at had similar frequency capabilities.
FDD is the LTE that we use here. TDD is the one you want to avoid. The 2100 band that the K5 Play has isn't band 4 (which is 1700/2100) - it's band 1 (2100 only). Band 5/7 support is ok, if you're living in a big city like Toronto or surrounding suburbs (I live and work in Oakville/Mississauga and got by pretty well with a band-7-only phone), but not great if you live/travel elsewhere. Ideally you want to get 700 mhz (band 12/13/17) support, and band 4 if you can get it.
Mar 17, 2008
171 posts
27 upvotes
Ontario
Ok, Thanks. I am learning more! One learning perhaps is that one needs to very careful if buying a phone from China , or elsewhere. I use my phone a bit in Canada, but mostly when travelling in USA, and then using Knowroaming. It connects mainly through AT&T and in Canada on Rogers or Bell. Need to make sure phone is designed for use in Canada/USA.

I was able to compare the Lenovo with my existing Motorola 2e. (only 8Gb, otherwise good!) Doesn't look like those Lenovos would be a good buy.

First column is Motorola 2e, 2nd column Lenovo K5 Play. But maybe that is wrong K5 Play? The site I used doesn't have other versions.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16585 posts
6463 upvotes
Oakville
freeagent wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 1:39 pm
Ok, Thanks. I am learning more! One learning perhaps is that one needs to very careful if buying a phone from China , or elsewhere. I use my phone a bit in Canada, but mostly when travelling in USA, and then using Knowroaming. It connects mainly through AT&T and in Canada on Rogers or Bell. Need to make sure phone is designed for use in Canada/USA.

I was able to compare the Lenovo with my existing Motorola 2e. (only 8Gb, otherwise good!) Doesn't look like those Lenovos would be a good buy.

First column is Motorola 2e, 2nd column Lenovo K5 Play. But maybe that is wrong K5 Play? The site I used doesn't have other versions.
Yeah, I dunno what version they're using, since it doesn't even have the 3G bands (UMTS 850 and 1900) listed. Kimovil is better: https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-lenovo-k5-play - and they show carrier comparisons for Canadian carriers, but they're not 100% correct (they don't show the Public Mobile frequencies, for example)
Mar 17, 2008
171 posts
27 upvotes
Ontario
Ok thanks. That site seems to confirm that these phones are not really suitable for North America. Too bad really!
Last edited by freeagent on Nov 27th, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16585 posts
6463 upvotes
Oakville
freeagent wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 3:28 pm
Ok thanks. That site seems to confirm that these phones are not really suitable for Noth America. Too bad really!
Nah, the K5 Play would be a perfectly suitable mid-ranger for somebody living in an area with solid band 7 LTE coverage (or who is happy to drop down to 3G occasionally). For the price, you're often getting some good performance for those small compromises. But I gave up on ChinaPhones a couple years ago because the cameras were often not the best, and that's one thing that I was sick of compromising on.
Feb 11, 2018
57 posts
3 upvotes
will there be custom duties since these will be shipped from China i think?