• Nov 28th, 2018 5:19 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15636 posts
5891 upvotes
Oakville
kelvinwang2018 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 6:31 pm
will there be custom duties since these will be shipped from China i think?
Depends on the shipping method, and how lucky you are. They absolutely do ship from China, and if they ship via DHL (or other private courier), you'll definitely get hit with brokerage fees and taxes (no duty, technically, on cell phones). If they ship surface mail, it'll arrive via Canada Post, and it's COMPLETELY ymmv on whether or not you'll end up paying brokerage and taxes - it's all in whether or not your package gets flagged. I've ordered several phones from China, and never paid brokerage fees or taxes on any of them when they shipped via surface mail, but I know other folks who've gotten dinged multiple times. So it's 100% luck of the draw in that case - best to plan on having to pay it, and being pleasantly surprised if you don't.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Mar 17, 2008
161 posts
26 upvotes
Ontario
kelvinwang2018 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 6:31 pm
will there be custom duties since these will be shipped from China i think?
Shouldn't be a problem if you can wait. How long before this comes into effect is another thing:
The new duty-free threshold means Canadian consumers ordering U.S. goods do not have to pay a duty on products that are $150 or less.

The rise in the duty-free limit is also only for goods you buy online — not for trips across that border. Currently, if you stay in the U.S. for 24 hours you qualify for an exemption of $200. That exemption climbs to $800 if you stay 48 hours or more.

Before the new trade deal, Canada has set its de minimis threshold — the maximum value of an item that Canadians can order from a foreign country without paying duties or taxes — at $20, which has not increased since 1985 and is one of the lowest in the world.
More here: https://www.redflagdeals.com/latest-new ... se-to-150/