• Feb 9th, 2018 3:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA

AliExpress Order History/Wish List

Late to this game but recently realized the significant $ savings by substituting my purchases off Ali*.

Wonder how do people source items to buy/not to buy on Ali*, minimizing time spent on research and tuitions paid:
1. What have you bought that worked out or didn't. Dollar saving vs. ebay/amazon/stores…et al.
2. What item have you bought that didn't work out
3. What might you buy? Say for 11.11 or Xmas

If RFD is not the place for this discussion, where else can one peak into other people's shopping basket and discuss items and $ savings?
9 replies
Jan 3, 2016
29 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Not sure what your question is, I'm guessing you are seeing the savings between North American sources and skipping the middleman (aka Asian Stores)

Under that assumption:

Aliexpress is good but there are multiple China stores that offer better prices.

Same old story, You get what you pay for
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
simoneyes wrote: Not sure what your question is, I'm guessing you are seeing the savings between North American sources and skipping the middleman (aka Asian Stores)

Under that assumption:

Aliexpress is good but there are multiple China stores that offer better prices.

Also stuff not carried by the retail middleman reaping outsized profits.

I saved a ton on so far mostly on small items and for repair and maintenance:
1. Computer/consumer electronics, mobile accessories, ecigs, batteries, led bulbs
2. Home improvements, tools, measurement instruments, automotive parts/accessories, certain hard to find parts
3. Safety gears, senior cares/child safety, cleaning tools & supplies
4. Fashion apparels (now into clothing, possibly shoes)

I don't know what I don't know. I only know some RFDers have been doing this for yrs, saved tens of thousands (maybe for profit as well) and few are willing to share the knowledge!!
Last edited by LongLiveRFD on Feb 8th, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5583 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
simoneyes wrote: Not sure what your question is, I'm guessing you are seeing the savings between North American sources and skipping the middleman (aka Asian Stores)

Under that assumption:

What china stores offer better prices? I've only found ebay and aliexpress for cheapest (because of shipping).
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2297 posts
858 upvotes
Toronto
So far I've had a good experience with AliExpress. I've only purchased computer components such as fans, RGB light strips, special types of cables (hard to find types of cables that I could've ordered from modDIY, but AliExpress had them for a bit cheaper), and a card reader.

The only thing is that shipments take time to get here. So far one shipment took two weeks, which is pretty good, but I'm still waiting for an order that I placed in the beginning of January. Ugh! Shipments by boat take forever, but well worth the wait. I recommend using vendors on AliExpress who offer ePacket. Affordable and reliable shipping.
Apr 13, 2010
549 posts
272 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
tigerhawk33 wrote: I recommend using vendors on AliExpress who offer ePacket.
That's why I like AliExpress over eBay: it tells you exactly what shipping method will be used, not just generic terms like "Standard International Shipping", which means nothing.

ePacket is good, but I've found that "AliExpress Standard Shipping" has been somewhat better. It's been shipped using UBI, which gets converted to Canada Post Expedited Shipping once it hits Canada. Even though ePacket turns into Xpresspost, I've still found the UBI packages make it to my door quicker than ePacket. Maybe it's because the UBI stuff makes it through customs faster, for whatever reason.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2297 posts
858 upvotes
Toronto
cybersaga wrote: That's why I like AliExpress over eBay: it tells you exactly what shipping method will be used, not just generic terms like "Standard International Shipping", which means nothing.

ePacket is good, but I've found that "AliExpress Standard Shipping" has been somewhat better. It's been shipped using UBI, which gets converted to Canada Post Expedited Shipping once it hits Canada. Even though ePacket turns into Xpresspost, I've still found the UBI packages make it to my door quicker than ePacket. Maybe it's because the UBI stuff makes it through customs faster, for whatever reason.
Thanks cybersaga, yeah I don't use ebay.ca much anymore. I just shake my head when it comes down to some of the most outrageous shipping costs that sellers are asking for. I really like AliExpress, and thank you for your info about AliExpress Standard Shipping. I'll give that a try next time. Cheers! :)
Dec 6, 2012
426 posts
202 upvotes
Montréal, QC
tigerhawk33 wrote: I recommend using vendors on AliExpress who offer ePacket. Affordable and reliable shipping.
Oh yes, this is why I use AE for about 2 years now, epacket. When you buy a 10$ item and shipping epacket is 1.32$, it's cheap and really fast, between 5 and 10 days to go to Montréal, it's like an Xpresspost so you have tracking and priority. I was tired to wait 60+ days for some eBay item that were 1$ cheaper.
Jul 8, 2009
661 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
My experience with AliExpress is that many items take an extremely long time to ship. On two occasions it took so long that I filed for a refund and received it, then had the items arrive later. (Being an honest guy, I contacted the sellers and worked out a way to pay again.)

The shipping is cheap, though, prices are usually lower than N.A. sellers', and some hard-to-find stuff isn't even available locally. I still shop AliExpress, but I've learned to be very patient with their shipping.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5928 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
Re: shipping time:
1. Subscribe to this thread: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mail-pr ... 11375/114/
2. There appears to be patterned to the holdup, time of yr, shipping method, possibly item type but can't confirm
3. My experience with 80 parcels, some arrives 2wks, most ~1month and few 2month (especially with batteries). Sometimes a bunch show up on Tuesday with no head up.
4. Install Aliexpress Tracking QR/Barcode tamper monkey script, use 17ship or Aftership app and scan the barcode off PC screen. Aftership tallies things up so you have better view on the delays....

The way I use Ali* is to replace line by line on my shopping list in Excel which adds up to ~$5-10K, add the items in Ali's wish list. When I have time to analyze sellers, just order one by one. There are things you don't want to buy off Ali or online or non-local, but that number is getting smaller and smaller.

To improve productivity, there are things to avoid but also really good items or types of items that maximize $ savings. I am waiting on one of those items that each would save me hundreds. I don't know how many such items exist, hence the ask.