Hot Deals

[AliExpress] POCO X3 NFC Snapdragon 732G

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6190 posts
5804 upvotes
hoodrich wrote: Since when?
Forever? I don't think I've ever seen a Xiaomi phone with IC certification. That's why you've never seen them sold at Canadian providers, or other 'legitimate' sources.

There was the beginnings of a crackdown a year or two ago, here is a thread that discussed it:

you-cant-sell-xiaomi-phones-canada-what-2297437/

Seems that eBay Canada is allowing listings again, or at least, not removing them.

Whatever government entity pushing eBay Canada probably gave notice to Ali and GB that they'd block import.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1285 posts
70 upvotes
also bought from Banggood, I used the method on the left
input imie number and Mi said that
Congratulations! You can be assured the phone you have purchased is the official international version.
did not bother with the option on the right . Why we need to do that, I may ask?
jjcdennis wrote: I purchased this phone from Banggood on December 15th and received it January 6th. The phone works fine, however, when I set up my Mi Account and went to verify/register it I ran into a problem. When I went to register online there were 2 fields/tabs to fill in, 1- Verify your phone purchase - requires the imei # and 2- Xiaomi Product Authorization - which requires a 20-digit security code. The number is supposed to be found on the phone packaging (likely the outside of the box) under a "code sticker" that you pull off to reveal the code. The how to wording is as follows: "How do I obtain security code? Locate the authentication label and scratch off its coating to obtain the 20-digit security code". Then there's an image of the "code sticker" showing a sample code revealed.
The issue for me is that I cannot locate the sticker or the code anywhere on the packaging, or on the sticker that was on the phone. I contacted Xiaomi customer support and they wrote to me the following "As long as it is genuine, security code will be found on the package or the product". This makes me worry that the phone isn't genuine.
Can folks that have received this phone either PM me, or comment back as to whether or not they found a security code on their packaging. This would be much appreciated.
Of note, the imei was accepted during verification. I was able to start the unlock process as well, which makes me think that either the security code isn't needed.
Thanks, help is appreciated. I will update as I work on this issue.
PS, Xiaomi has directed me back to Banggood for resolution.
Images
  • poco-verified.jpg
Jul 29, 2007
113 posts
119 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: my waze is not working (gpslocation) in android auto. please help
Go to the Waze App settings and turn off Battery Optimization. Will work after that's done.
Aug 7, 2018
53 posts
25 upvotes
langong wrote: also bought from Banggood, I used the method on the left
input imie number and Mi said that
Congratulations! You can be assured the phone you have purchased is the official international version.
did not bother with the option on the right . Why we need to do that, I may ask?
I don't know why there are two parts to registration. I contacted Mi Support to question this and it was them that raised the issue of the phone being genuine. You would think they would know about the security code being required, but maybe not. I definitely wasn't dazzled by their support on a couple other questions. In the end, I just wanted to see if other people who bought the phone had found a security label on the box.
I di start the process of uinlocking the bootloader. Being able to do that requires permission from Mi/Xiaomi in the process. If the phone wasn't genuine I would expect that I wouldn't have go tthe permission.
Dec 30, 2004
587 posts
105 upvotes
BC
Aliexpress doesn't seem to be shipping to Canada with a lot of cell phones. Not sure if this deal is even legitimate since the link in the first post does not ship to Canada anymore.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12139 posts
1914 upvotes
airjuice wrote: Go to the Waze App settings and turn off Battery Optimization. Will work after that's done.
i might have had my battery saver on........ will see today again.......
Feb 25, 2020
141 posts
254 upvotes
"[Update: Xiaomi releases statement] U.S. bans Americans from investing in Xiaomi, citing ties to Chinese military"

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-u ... blacklist/

I hope Canada doesn't do this... we need the free market, and lets be honest... we know the reason why US is doing this, Xiaomi overtook Apple as the biggest smartphone vendor https://www.slashgear.com/xiaomi-overta ... -30649276/ It goes Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi and then Apple
Apr 7, 2010
39 posts
278 upvotes
How does this compare to the Realme 7 5g thats going on sale tomorrow for $250?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6190 posts
5804 upvotes
hoodrich wrote: "[Update: Xiaomi releases statement] U.S. bans Americans from investing in Xiaomi, citing ties to Chinese military"

I hope Canada doesn't do this... we need the free market, and lets be honest... we know the reason why US is doing this, Xiaomi overtook Apple as the biggest smartphone vendor https://www.slashgear.com/xiaomi-overta ... -30649276/ It goes Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi and then Apple
To be frank, I don't think Xiaomi will notice. This is just a US investment ban, I'm certain there will be many other entities interested in investing in a company as successful as Xiaomi.

Now, if the US places Xiaomi on the Entity List, that would be a potential death knell. Hasn't happened yet, and frankly, given there are less than 2 days left in the Trump administration I doubt it will happen.

Personally (full selfishness angle here): I don't really care since Xiaomi phones don't have the LTE bands we use in Canada, so their phones aren't worth anything to me.
Nov 26, 2020
35 posts
22 upvotes
superdeal007 wrote: can you take a photo of the sim tray to upload here?
Been busy. Sorry.
Got it sorted. Had to gingerly put it into the phone because it kept slipping out the the bottom sim tray (i have an sd card in the sd card tray now)...
Working though.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1152 posts
2294 upvotes
hoodrich wrote: "[Update: Xiaomi releases statement] U.S. bans Americans from investing in Xiaomi, citing ties to Chinese military"

It's more likely that China is actually including backdoors into these devices . . and most likely doing the same to iPhones considering they are all made there. But really, at this point, we can't ensure privacy on wireless networks because all of our modems are made in China -- so who cares how they get in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6190 posts
5804 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: It's more likely that China is actually including backdoors into these devices . . and most likely doing the same to iPhones considering they are all made there. But really, at this point, we can't ensure privacy on wireless networks because all of our modems are made in China -- so who cares how they get in.
Something being made IN China, vs. something designed and made in China is a BIG difference.

Before you go spouting stuff like this I encourage you to research this topic a bit.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1152 posts
2294 upvotes
repatch wrote: Something being made IN China, vs. something designed and made in China is a BIG difference.

Before you go spouting stuff like this I encourage you to research this topic a bit.
It's all about physical access to these factories, and nothing to do with their "design." Thanks for the misinformation. Maybe you should do a bit more research. I work in the digital security field.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6190 posts
5804 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: It's all about physical access to these factories, and nothing to do with their "design." Thanks for the misinformation. Maybe you should do a bit more research. I work in the digital security field.
Physical access isn't very useful if you are dealing with black boxes (the Apple SOC) and cryptographically signed firmware/software. At least from the side of trying to backdoor something (which is what we're talking about).

As for me? Decades of security related ASIC design experience says hello.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
1995 posts
262 upvotes
repatch wrote: Physical access isn't very useful if you are dealing with black boxes (the Apple SOC) and cryptographically signed firmware/software. At least from the side of trying to backdoor something (which is what we're talking about).

As for me? Decades of security related ASIC design experience says hello.
I always flash a custom ROM on my China phones. Does that close the backdoors or am I just kidding myself? Not sure what's worst these days... having big Tech, NSA, or China reading your stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6190 posts
5804 upvotes
nitro wrote: I always flash a custom ROM on my China phones. Does that close the backdoors or am I just kidding myself? Not sure what's worst these days... having big Tech, NSA, or China reading your stuff.
That's pretty good, IF you trust the source of the ROM.

Theoretically they COULD hide something in the radio firmware, but that would be pretty tough to be effective.

For most of us, flashing a custom ROM is really good.

There is another element though: honestly, how much do you care what the CCP has on you? It is certainly something VERY important to some, but for most of us, being aware of what OUR government is getting is probably more important.
Aug 7, 2018
53 posts
25 upvotes
jjcdennis wrote: I purchased this phone from Banggood on December 15th and received it January 6th. The phone works fine, however, when I set up my Mi Account and went to verify/register it I ran into a problem. When I went to register online there were 2 fields/tabs to fill in, 1- Verify your phone purchase - requires the imei # and 2- Xiaomi Product Authorization - which requires a 20-digit security code. The number is supposed to be found on the phone packaging (likely the outside of the box) under a "code sticker" that you pull off to reveal the code. The how to wording is as follows: "How do I obtain security code? Locate the authentication label and scratch off its coating to obtain the 20-digit security code". Then there's an image of the "code sticker" showing a sample code revealed.
The issue for me is that I cannot locate the sticker or the code anywhere on the packaging, or on the sticker that was on the phone. I contacted Xiaomi customer support and they wrote to me the following "As long as it is genuine, security code will be found on the package or the product". This makes me worry that the phone isn't genuine.
Can folks that have received this phone either PM me, or comment back as to whether or not they found a security code on their packaging. This would be much appreciated.
Of note, the imei was accepted during verification. I was able to start the unlock process as well, which makes me think that either the security code isn't needed.
Thanks, help is appreciated. I will update as I work on this issue.
PS, Xiaomi has directed me back to Banggood for resolution.
After numerous emails back and forth I finally got an answer from Xiaomi support - "I mean the IMEI number is the only digital certificate for phone. The 20-digital security code (For Power banks) or with the IMEI (For Phones) or with the serial number (For Other Accessories)".

The reason I pushed for an answer was because I was getting a sim card registration/activation error showing on the notification bar. I wasn't sure that the sim error wasn't related to the security code issue. At the same time, I was also having a hard time unlocking the phone - the unlock button stayed greyed out and I couldn't update the driver. The phone worked fine in spite of the error. I could send sms no problem, so the sim card did not seem to be the problem.

The trick to fix this was to logout of the Mi account on the phone, reboot, signin to the Mi account and see if the phone still produces an error code on the notification bar. You might have to reboot after signing back into the Mi account.

With regards to the unlock error, I did unlock eventually, but on my wife's laptop. Kinda strange that I got a 143 hour wait vs 168 or 320 hours that most users get. Hopefully I can unlock on Sunday.
Who knows with my luck so far.
Feb 25, 2020
141 posts
254 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote: It's more likely that China is actually including backdoors into these devices . . and most likely doing the same to iPhones considering they are all made there. But really, at this point, we can't ensure privacy on wireless networks because all of our modems are made in China -- so who cares how they get in.
Intel and AMD processors both have backdoors in them
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
1995 posts
262 upvotes
repatch wrote: That's pretty good, IF you trust the source of the ROM.

Theoretically they COULD hide something in the radio firmware, but that would be pretty tough to be effective.

For most of us, flashing a custom ROM is really good.

There is another element though: honestly, how much do you care what the CCP has on you? It is certainly something VERY important to some, but for most of us, being aware of what OUR government is getting is probably more important.
I'm using Arrow OS on the Poco X3. Works perfect without any of the bloat or ads in MIUI 12. I trust custom ROMs more than any manufacturer OS tbh. I was thinking of doing the whole graphene OS and going completely anonymous given how the world is turning out but we shall see. Xiaomi phones are great for tinkering with different ROMs as the risk for completely bricking your phone is low and the costs for something like the Poco is negligible.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)