• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2021 7:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 26, 2011
441 posts
231 upvotes

AliExpress Shipping experience for Canadians

Hey All,

I noticed many sellers on AliExpress have been putting warning for Canadian buyers specifically. Citing that it will take longer for items to go through Canadian customs and higher chance of getting lost. Due to this they only offer the non-free shipping options to ensure we get the package.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience if the premium shipping options (the 1-5$ range ones, not DHL) make any difference to how fast one gets the shipment?

Thanks!
Koodo 6GB/40$ :twisted:
Share:
155 replies
Mar 31, 2009
239 posts
8 upvotes
I have ordered from AliExpress numerous times without an issue. But be prepared to wait a long time with regular shipping. I have used the e-packet ( or something similar in name) and had the item surprise me by arriving in a couple of days.
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
203 upvotes
Our fears are becoming real now. Sellers refusing to sell/and or charging for premium shipping

I had inbound express stuck for a month, so to me it does not make difference.
Nov 28, 2007
522 posts
219 upvotes
Etobicoke
Of the 40 or so items I've ordered off Aliexpress, I've only had one item never show up. I contacted the seller and they shipped a replacement to me.

But as Asennad said above, prepare to wait for some very random and unpredictable amounts of wait time. I've had things arrive in 7 days to 4 months. The 4 month one being a bubble pack envelope of a set of 8 lego figures. So it wasn't even size.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1869 posts
447 upvotes
I have ordered more than a dozen times and only once the item did not arrive.
Disputed it and AliExpress returned the money.

Shipping time depends on your method chosen. I only choose the free shipping unless no other seller offers free shipping.
Goods arrival ranges from 2 weeks to 2+ months or never.
Nov 27, 2016
105 posts
35 upvotes
Go with e-packet, it's the best value if it's only a dollar or so more. My stuff by e-packet have arrived in either 1-2 weeks, or a month, but no longer. Regular free shipping will take much longer it seems.
Sep 24, 2004
949 posts
562 upvotes
Scarborough
Realted Q: if the item is around $100, what would be the preferred shipping method, and what would be the chances of getting hit by duty.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14735 posts
10887 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Bob is right, pay a little more for faster tracked shipping...usually takes 2.5 weeks for epackets to arrive at your front door from China.
heebjeeb wrote: Go with e-packet, it's the best value if it's only a dollar or so more. My stuff by e-packet have arrived in either 1-2 weeks, or a month, but no longer. Regular free shipping will take much longer it seems.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 1, 2014
93 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Now I'm relatively new to the Aliexpress world, but sometimes I find the "free shipping" option can say like 32-50 days but when I look at the e-packet, albeit only $1-2, it will say "30-60 days" so I feel whats the point in paying even a minimal amount to have it possibly show up 2 days earlier. Perhaps I'm wrong in that thinking and should always opt for e-packet?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1218 posts
1665 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tokihamai wrote: Of the 40 or so items I've ordered off Aliexpress, I've only had one item never show up. I contacted the seller and they shipped a replacement to me.

But as Asennad said above, prepare to wait for some very random and unpredictable amounts of wait time. I've had things arrive in 7 days to 4 months. The 4 month one being a bubble pack envelope of a set of 8 lego figures. So it wasn't even size.
Had the same experience except the fastest I ever received something from Aliexpress was 1 month +. Therefore, I only get stuff that I am in no rush in getting...
I had an order that took 4 months to arrive...
Sep 8, 2008
269 posts
76 upvotes
T.O
Yeah, ask for expedited shipping, usually 2-3 bucks more, item arrives in 2-3 weeks
May 14, 2013
429 posts
506 upvotes
Edmonton
I have made well over 500 purchases through aliexpress in the past 5 years. I can safely say that I have had an above average experience during this time. I consider it to be a kijiji for factories in China. Just like ebay and any "marketplace" style sites, it is buyer beware and it is best to really do your research on the seller (checking reviews and feedback and comparing to the next guy next to his listing). Often after a little digging, you can determine the quality and reliability of a seller. Out of all my transactions on aliexpress, I have never had a shipment lost. I have never paid for shipping, and the experience there is it really depends where in China the item is being shipped from. I've had items arrive as quickly as 3 weeks from certain locations, while other locations I've noticed it consistently takes longer upwards to 7 weeks. It's kind of like a lottery because you really won't know where the item is shipping from until they update the tracking log on your transaction. The seller's location may not actually be located where the item originates (in reference to the person you actually talk to on the other side when you ask questions and stuff - in some instances, I've dealt with individuals who represent multiple "stores"). Out of all my transactions, I've probably had upwards to about 40 that had some sort of issue in terms in misrepresentation or DOA type issues. In these instances, aliexpress mostly ruled in my favor. Often before being escalated to an aliexpress mediator, the seller has the option to offer you "compensation". Rather than giving you a full refund they'll often offer you a % of the cost and you get to keep the item. I always decline then and have it escalated to aliexpress because they have 100% of the time ruled in my favor. Often giving me full reimbursement + I get to keep the item (in the end it is free item).
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3148 posts
1388 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I ordered a phone a few weeks ago and still had the free AliExpress shipping. I've already long forgot about the phone making my OnePlus One work for now (battery is becoming unreliable/unstable and it doesn't make or receive calls but who calls these days anyways?). Will be a nice surprised when it arrives.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2011
441 posts
231 upvotes
heebjeeb wrote: Go with e-packet, it's the best value if it's only a dollar or so more. My stuff by e-packet have arrived in either 1-2 weeks, or a month, but no longer. Regular free shipping will take much longer it seems.
Yeah, ePacket seems to be the way to go.

Thanks everyone!
Koodo 6GB/40$ :twisted:
Aug 22, 2005
952 posts
185 upvotes
Brampton
Anyone ever try returning anything to AliExpress store? I ordered some colour LED bulbs and they were 220V instead of 110V and have 'flickering' type issues... 2 bulbs cost me about 45 bucks but wondering how much it would cost to ship them back. Any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3470 posts
2084 upvotes
London
djrobinn wrote: Anyone ever try returning anything to AliExpress store? I ordered some colour LED bulbs and they were 220V instead of 110V and have 'flickering' type issues... 2 bulbs cost me about 45 bucks but wondering how much it would cost to ship them back. Any recommendations?
shipping back will cost more then the item. u could send without tracking but then if the seller isn't honest they can just say they never got it.
Aug 22, 2005
952 posts
185 upvotes
Brampton
aaron158 wrote: shipping back will cost more then the item. u could send without tracking but then if the seller isn't honest they can just say they never got it.
true... so I'm in a weird situation now... $45 worth of stuff, wondering how much it will be to ship and wondering if they would ever 'receive' the package.
May 4, 2017
60 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
Of the 100 or so orders I've made (less than $10 USD to $100 USD), I've received all my shipments.

Usually anything costing $25+ USD usually gets to my door ~ 4 weeks but It's been as long as 3-4 months too.

These days anything less than $10 USD transfers to Canada in about a week (when you have tracking), then it sits in customs for up to 3 months before it clears.
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
ePacket is delivered consistently in 2 weeks from Aliexpress, and cost effective even for $3 purchases, if the seller asks $1 extra for it. Returning is costly from Canada, so its cheaper to sell it on Ebay (220V to Europe), even with a shipping discount.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)