[Aliexpress] Umidigi A5 Pro smartphone ~$120

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2020 4:27 pm
Tags:
Feb 4, 2017
293 posts
357 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: My GPS works fine.
However I did run into a bug finally with the phone. Phone won't charge over 95%. Software bug perhaps?

First day I got it, it was at 85% charge. I plugged it in and it charged up all the way to 100%. Today it was around 40% charge, so I plugged it in to charge it back up. However doesn't matter how long it stays plugged in, it won't go above 95%. It says it's charging, but the battery always remains at 95.

Obviously this isn't a huge deal, but this is the first bug I've noticed with the phone. I am going to allow the battery to fully drain down to 0% next time and then charge it back up and see what happens.
Edit: After posting this I checked the phone again and it now shows 100%. I swear it was showing 95% for way longer than normal though, so that is weird. I think rebooting the phone fixed it. I guess ignore my previous comments, lol.

Also not a bug, but when you reboot the phone, even before the phone boots into the android lock screen, you have to input your pin/pattern to even allow it to boot Android at all (then do it a second time at the lock screen to get into the phone).
Does anyone know how to turn that first requirement off? I don't want to have to enter the pin/pattern twice every time I reboot. It should go directly to the lock screen.
Edit2: Figured out how to turn this feature off. in settings -> security & location -> screen lock, set a new screen lock pin/pattern/password (can be same one as currently in use) and on the next screen it asks if you want to further secure the device by asking for pin at boot. Say No and that's it.
My phone charges up to 93% when it's on. When I switch it off it charges to 100%.
Jul 12, 2019
15 posts
13 upvotes
Zoughi1 wrote: Enabling VoLTE is the same as enabling wifi calling, you just would select Mobile Network as preferred. Choosing wifi as preferred means wifi calling.
VoLTE is enabled via "Advanced 4G/LTE mode". See first pic attached. Freedom mobile SIM is missing the option (2nd pic)

You could set mobile network as preferred in wifi calling, but it doesn't automatically mean VoLTE. Freedom mobile still drops to 3G when calling as VoLTE is not supported.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190713-120846.png
  • Screenshot_20190713-120834.png
Oct 1, 2008
175 posts
85 upvotes
Vancouver
Got my phone through free shipping, ordered may 25th.

In general solid phone for $130:
Nice screen,
Glass back
ResponsiVe
Seems to be stock Android 9
Free case
Free protector
Fingerprint reader
Accurate gps

Heavier
Camera is pretty bad
Some dark areas near rounded corners
Got Chinese charger not NA charger
Glass scratches finger when swipe down for notifications
May 5, 2015
401 posts
302 upvotes
GVA
jake123 wrote: Got my phone through free shipping, ordered may 25th.

In general solid phone for $130:
Nice screen,
Glass back
ResponsiVe
Seems to be stock Android 9
Free case
Free protector
Fingerprint reader
Accurate gps

Heavier
Camera is pretty bad
Some dark areas near rounded corners
Got Chinese charger not NA charger
Glass scratches finger when swipe down for notifications
Lucky you, mine arrived in July 8th and its still stuck at customs.
Jul 18, 2005
372 posts
85 upvotes
OK, mine arrived yesterday as well. A couple of thoughts:

- there's a software update for the built-in ROM that will keep beeping until you update it. annoying if you don't have it set to vibrate
- dimensions are really identical to my OnePlus 6
- the film screen protector it came with is really thin and wasn't applied well (there's dust stuck underneath in mine, which is pretty annoying). might get a glass screen protector for this phone but i don't really want to any more money on it
- case has a nice feel and grip to it, super super thin though, i doubt it'll protect the phone other than scratches
- wifi signal seems good
- seems to struggle with retroarch snes emulation + shaders. without shaders it's totally fine
- camera is absolutely awful, i'm not even sure if i can blame the software for this. it's having a hard time focusing on anything but the brightest environment. kind of makes sense since all the camera samples i see online are all blurry and out of focus
- wide angle camera seems to have some sort of viewfinder delay
- i really don't think it's the software since the image quality is just piss poor, it might be a combination of a misrepresented sensor and really cheap lens + unoptimized camera software
- also tried the version of gcam that works for this phone and it's the same issues
- no complaints about general performance with web browsing and app usage

Overall, it's a pretty good phone considering it's a $100. I'm mostly using it as an iPod touch + portable emulation device to be honest, considering it has a microSD slot. I'll probably use it as a travel or backup phone in the future because of dual SIMs. I wouldn't buy this phone if you need to use the camera though, it's really bad
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18724 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
Zoughi1 wrote: My phone charges up to 93% when it's on. When I switch it off it charges to 100%.
Good to know it's not just me. It's still happening too. Must be a bug in the firmware? This time the battery was stuck at 92% until I restarted it.
Feb 4, 2017
293 posts
357 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Good to know it's not just me. It's still happening too. Must be a bug in the firmware? This time the battery was stuck at 92% until I restarted it.
No need to restart. Once it hits 92%, just turn the phone off for 5 minutes and it will reach 100% then turn the phone back on.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18724 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
Zoughi1 wrote: No need to restart. Once it hits 92%, just turn the phone off for 5 minutes and it will reach 100% then turn the phone back on.
I am wondering if it's just a bug with the battery percentage shown. I intentionally tried to drain the battery a bit when it was stuck at 92%. Turned on bluetooth, was watching a video at max brightness, etc. Basically just did everything I could to try to use up some of the battery. Despite this, It still remained at 92% even after 15 minutes. I feel like it should have at least dropped by 1% during that time.
I am guessing the battery must actually be at 100%, it's just not displaying it correctly, which is why it appeared to not be going down at all when I was trying to drain it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6207 posts
5812 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: I am wondering if it's just a bug with the battery percentage shown. I intentionally tried to drain the battery a bit when it was stuck at 92%. Turned on bluetooth, was watching a video at max brightness, etc. Basically just did everything I could to try to use up some of the battery. Despite this, It still remained at 92% even after 15 minutes. I feel like it should have at least dropped by 1% during that time.
I am guessing the battery must actually be at 100%, it's just not displaying it correctly, which is why it appeared to not be going down at all when I was trying to drain it.
The BMS (battery management system) needs calibration. Basically it's assuming things about the battery that don't match the battery's SOC (state of charge).

Drain the phone to zero, then let it charge to 100% without disturbing it. That usually results in proper calibration and you should see this problem disappear.

Can happen on any phone, especially after changing the battery, but even if not. My spare phone sits in my bag used very little for months. After about 6 months it started exhibiting problems, SOC would change in steps instead of smoothly. Did a fully charge cycle and it was right as rain.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1072 posts
1105 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Constellation wrote: OK, mine arrived yesterday as well. A couple of thoughts:

- there's a software update for the built-in ROM that will keep beeping until you update it. annoying if you don't have it set to vibrate
- dimensions are really identical to my OnePlus 6
- the film screen protector it came with is really thin and wasn't applied well (there's dust stuck underneath in mine, which is pretty annoying). might get a glass screen protector for this phone but i don't really want to any more money on it
- case has a nice feel and grip to it, super super thin though, i doubt it'll protect the phone other than scratches
- wifi signal seems good
- seems to struggle with retroarch snes emulation + shaders. without shaders it's totally fine
- camera is absolutely awful, i'm not even sure if i can blame the software for this. it's having a hard time focusing on anything but the brightest environment. kind of makes sense since all the camera samples i see online are all blurry and out of focus
- wide angle camera seems to have some sort of viewfinder delay
- i really don't think it's the software since the image quality is just piss poor, it might be a combination of a misrepresented sensor and really cheap lens + unoptimized camera software
- also tried the version of gcam that works for this phone and it's the same issues
- no complaints about general performance with web browsing and app usage

Overall, it's a pretty good phone considering it's a $100. I'm mostly using it as an iPod touch + portable emulation device to be honest, considering it has a microSD slot. I'll probably use it as a travel or backup phone in the future because of dual SIMs. I wouldn't buy this phone if you need to use the camera though, it's really bad
I was always curious about the camera specs since the chipset they used isn't supposed to support neither the resolutions nor the number of lenses. Wonder if one of the lenses is a dummy.

How is 1080p streaming?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18724 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
Another software update just dropped. My phone just updated. Camera optimization was mentioned. Haven't tested anything yet though.
May 24, 2019
76 posts
25 upvotes
Quebec
BobSagget wrote: Another software update just dropped. My phone just updated. Camera optimization was mentioned. Haven't tested anything yet though.
Mine downloaded the update, but something happened when it installed it: now the screen keeps going between black and the "Umidigi (link to the world) powered by android" screen (for like 30 minutes now...). I'm quite puzzled/disappointed by that. Any clue?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5824 posts
1231 upvotes
Montreal
Other than the battery calibration issue, how long does the battery charge last with medium usage?
Phils
Jul 14, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
Phils wrote: Other than the battery calibration issue, how long does the battery charge last with medium usage?
I have the battery calibration issue. I get stuck at 93%, except Monday morning I got it up to 100 by unplugging and plugging back in.

I would say I am a medium user, pretty much 8 hours of music/podcasts daily, checking email social/media a couple times an hour, and using fitness tracking apps for about an hour and half each day. No gaming or long video sessions. I have so far gotten around 14 hours each day, but I have also been tinkering with screen brightness a lot seeing if I can remedy a vertical white line issue I have been experiencing.

Without the brightness tinkering I am going to guess it will go at least 16 to 20.

Just installing latest update now.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2178 posts
319 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Very tempting. I grabbed the UWatch2 as part of the sale. Tempted to grab the phone.
Jul 12, 2019
15 posts
13 upvotes
A5 pro is advertised as having a 4150mAh battery, but cpu-z reported it as 3450mAh. Can anyone confirm this?
Images
  • Screenshot_20190717-134426.png
  • Screenshot_20190717-134454.png
Dec 30, 2007
144 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
BrianTanH wrote: A5 pro is advertised as having a 4150mAh battery, but cpu-z reported it as 3450mAh. Can anyone confirm this?
Do you get 2 days of usage out of this phone though ?
Jul 12, 2019
15 posts
13 upvotes
gabuser wrote: Do you get 2 days of usage out of this phone though ?
Active use, maybe half a day. I use charger with USBC power delivery (PD). With USBC-MicroUSB cable, I can recharge to 100% pretty fast.
Oct 27, 2017
1 posts
Does anyone know how to have the "swipe fingerprint scanner to show/unshow notifications panel" functionality working on that phone? It's my first phone with Pie and browsing quickly the internet showed me that it is a recurring issue with a lot of phones running on Pie so not sure who is to blame on that one. It was one of my favorite Oreo functionality and it will be such a bummer if I have to live without it. In the stock settings the Swipe fingerprint sub-settings is returning a blank screen and every third party app I tried didn't work at all. I can live with a sub-par camera but please don't let me reach the top of that huge screen with my other hand every god damn time!!!