• Aug 22nd, 2019 11:37 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7297 posts
1689 upvotes
e_speakerca wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 1:27 pm
Just got mine. Arrived very quickly since shipped on July 5 - very impressive. Just opened my mailbox and there it was - no duties, signatures, etc.
First appearance - the box is very professionally packed and sealed
European charger, micro USB - unfortunately no good surprises there, but not a biggy for me
Glass back looks beautiful, although I expected the colour to be a bit on the blueish side as was in the picture (I ordered breathing crystal)
The screen protector is nicely pre-installed
The included case feels very cheap - definitely good idea to get something more reliable
It had 43% battery charge when turned on
Immediately started installing system updates from July 6
alot of these umidigi phones are the same size and use the same case...f1 play, f1 non play, a5 pro...i think any of their 6.3inch phones are basically clones aside from the ram/cpu/screen rez

those pics look exactly like my f1 play, i hope i get a NA charger tho, i hate those big adapters, they stick out too much

so some got NA adapters and some got EURO ones huh
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3694 posts
1102 upvotes
Edmonton
Does anyone have a working gcam port?
Jul 3, 2003
106 posts
25 upvotes
New box opening and review (in English) ..

Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16961 posts
23313 upvotes
ONTARIO
Just got mine delivered today and I have been testing it briefly. It was just left right at the front door. Surprised it even got to me actually since the shipping label was strangely incredibly faded, you could barely make out any info. I did see they put $18 value and labelled it a phone accessory, so I am thankful for that. No extra fees!

Anyway, I am quite happy. I knew I wasn't getting a flagship phone and so my expectations were low going in. It's better than I expected! Camera works well enough for my needs and turning off the animations in the developer options makes it snappy enough for me. It's faster than my old Galaxy A5 I was using lol.

Also right away there was an update available and I had that installed and rebooted within minutes. Phone came with an 85% charge too!

One negative so far though was the screen protector. There was obviously dust or something on my screen when the protector was applied, because there were noticeable specs on the screen (that created at least 3 tiny little bubbles). Most people might be able to live with it, but it annoyed me right away. Almost made it look like dead pixels on a white background.
I ripped off the protector to get rid of the specs of dust or whatever it was. I might just buy another protector in the future if necessary.

Like I said I only tested it briefly, but so far I am pretty happy with what I got for $120 or so.

i got the breathing crystal back and it came with the correct north america charger.
Here's a picture of the charger. Took it with the phone's camera. No flash. Quality is good enough for me!
Images
  • PHOTO_20190712_124222.jpg
Last edited by BobSagget on Jul 12th, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2016
910 posts
2360 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:31 am
Just got mine delivered today and I have been testing it briefly. It was just left right at the front door. Surprised it even got to me actually since the shipping label was strangely incredibly faded, you could barely make out any info. I did see they put $18 value and labelled it a phone accessory, so I am thankful for that. No extra fees!

Anyway, I am quite happy. I knew I wasn't getting a flagship phone and so my expectations were low going in. It's better than I expected! Camera works well enough for my needs and turning off the animations in the developer options makes it snappy enough for me. It's faster than my old Galaxy A5 I was using lol.

Also right away there was an update available and I had that installed and rebooted within minutes. Phone came with an 85% charge too!

One negative so far though was the screen protector. There was obviously dust or something on my screen when the protector was applied, because there were noticeable specs on the screen (that created at least 3 tiny little bubbles). Most people might be able to live with it, but it annoyed me right away. Almost made it look like dead pixels on a white background.
I ripped off the protector to get rid of the specs of dust or whatever it was. I might just buy another protector in the future if necessary.

Like I said I only tested it briefly, but so far I am pretty happy with what I got for $120 or so.

i got the breathing crystal back and it came with the correct north america charger.
Same regarding a bubble. Had 1 little one that was barely noticeable but drove me nuts. Everythibg else I agree with you about as well
"Live Long....and ProspeRFD"
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16961 posts
23313 upvotes
ONTARIO
U4IA wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:43 am
Doesnt work, I tried the arnova one already. The app loads, but super laggy and the photos are just colored stripes.
Hopefully we can find one that works properly. I installed this version of Gcam (MGC_6.1.021_BSG_Arnova-TlnNeun_Urnyx05-v4.5.apk). It worked...sorta. Black screen in every camera mode except lens blur and panorama. Takes proper pictures in those modes, but kinda useless since no other modes seem to work.

Edit: It's an older version, but Google Camera 5.1 works on this phone.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-in ... -download/
May 12, 2016
81 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
Spawk1028 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:39 am
Same regarding a bubble. Had 1 little one that was barely noticeable but drove me nuts. Everythibg else I agree with you about as well
Something we all should expect. Considering number of orders, they pretty much assemble them like "squirrels under caffeine".
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3694 posts
1102 upvotes
Edmonton
gardarik wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:29 pm
Something we all should expect. Considering number of orders, they pretty much assemble them like "squirrels under caffeine".
Guess dumb question, but there's a screen protector already applied? I was thinking the screen was not as smooth as I was used to for glass.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16961 posts
23313 upvotes
ONTARIO
U4IA wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:40 pm
Guess dumb question, but there's a screen protector already applied? I was thinking the screen was not as smooth as I was used to for glass.
Yes there's a screen protector applied already which actually makes swiping the screen smoother. If you don't find it smooth WITH the screen protector on, you're definitely not going to like it without it.
The actual screen is plastic (maybe actual glass, just lower quality), and it's lot less smooth with the protector removed, you'll notice immediately it's not as smooth to swipe across as with the screen protector or a higher quality phone.

Personally I got used to it rather quickly without the protector (worth it in my case since there was dust trapped underneath) and with such a cheap phone I don't care much. I might eventually buy another screen protector for it or not as i'm fine either way.
Last edited by BobSagget on Jul 12th, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2462 posts
1356 upvotes
Kitchener
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:49 pm
The actual screen is plastic so if you remove it, you'll notice immediately it's not as smooth to swipe across as with the screen protector or a real glass screen.
Wait -- what? It's plastic? I guess it might not shatter, but you'll need a screen protector on it 100% of time...them scratches.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16961 posts
23313 upvotes
ONTARIO
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:52 pm
Wait -- what? It's plastic? I guess it might not shatter, but you'll need a screen protector on it 100% of time...them scratches.
Maybe I am wrong.
I googled the phone specs and found a review saying it's front panel is made from 2.5D glass. I am not sure what that is.
I just compared it side by side with my samsung galaxy glass screen and there's a noticeable different. I thought it felt like plastic in comparison to the galaxy.

Edit: now that I check again, I do think it might be glass. Just not up to the same quality as the glass screen on the other phone.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3694 posts
1102 upvotes
Edmonton
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:49 pm
Yes there's a screen protector applied already which actually makes swiping the screen smoother. If you don't find it smooth WITH the screen protector on, you're definitely not going to like it without it.
The actual screen is plastic so if you remove it, you'll notice immediately it's not as smooth to swipe across as with the screen protector or a real glass screen.
Personally I got used to it rather quickly without the protector (worth it in my case since there was dust trapped underneath) and with such a cheap phone I don't care much. I might eventually buy another screen protector for it or not as i'm fine either way.
Thanks, I can't really tell if there's something there. I pulled off that top plastic screen with the umidigi logo and the white label that said remove. I cant see any bubbles if there is something.

I generally prefer glass protectors so will try and find one. I gave the phone to my son and the glass has saved it a few times on his other phone.
Mar 26, 2013
69 posts
30 upvotes
Vernon BC
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:59 pm
Maybe I am wrong.
I googled the phone specs and found a review saying it's front panel is made from 2.5D glass. I am not sure what that is.
I just compared it side by side with my samsung galaxy glass screen and there's a noticeable different. I thought it felt like plastic in comparison to the galaxy.

Edit: now that I check again, I do think it might be glass. Just not up to the same quality as the glass screen on the other phone.
There might not be any Oleophobic coating on the glass then..