Expired Hot Deals

[Aliexpress] Umidigi A5 Pro smartphone ~$120

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2020 4:27 pm
Tags:
Member
Feb 4, 2017
279 posts
350 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: One my phone came. Stuffed in mailbox. Has thick cushion
upload.jpg
Can anyone confirm band 66 works on freedom. Are u getting VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling enabled. Please confirm voice and data speeds thx
repatch wrote: Try the app LTE Discovery to find out what band you are connecting to.
I can confirm the phone works with band 66 on freedom
Jr. Member
Dec 30, 2007
120 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Zoughi1 wrote: I can confirm the phone works with band 66 on freedom
are you able to get voice while on band 66 ?
Member
Feb 4, 2017
279 posts
350 upvotes
gabuser wrote: are you able to get voice while on band 66 ?
No. I turned on VoLTE from the call settings but would switch over to 3G when making calls. I know it sucks until Freedom is able to support all phones.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4148 posts
3725 upvotes
gabuser wrote: are you able to get voice while on band 66 ?
No, VoLTE is only supported by Canadian carriers on phones they sell.

For voice it will drop to HSPA B4.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
9420 posts
2305 upvotes
Scarberia
does this phone have two sims and extra microSD slot for THREE total, or just 1 and 1 slots = two total, tia
*SIG: Ryzen??? R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @39.99$
Jr. Member
Dec 30, 2007
120 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
repatch wrote: No, VoLTE is only supported by Canadian carriers on phones they sell.

For voice it will drop to HSPA B4.
The government should look into that crap. It's just another way to lock in users to their Telco
Newbie
Oct 17, 2011
27 posts
7 upvotes
ALDERGROVE
mikka2017 wrote: does this phone have two sims and extra microSD slot for THREE total, or just 1 and 1 slots = two total, tia
3 total, 2 Nano SIM and one microSD.
Member
User avatar
Dec 8, 2008
212 posts
52 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm using this enough that I figure I'll use it as my main phone til the next big RFD sale or I crack my screen again. (Whichever comes first).

It's not quite as smooth as my Xiaomi Note 5 pro (cracked screen) but it definitely is an improvement for my wife's Samsung S5. I put her phone on Kijiji for $50 and sold it within 5 minutes.

Overall it's definitely worth $120 but can't expect a two year old flagship performance. Temper expectations and light users should be happy.

Anyone else retiring a phone as old as the S5 due to this deal?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 28, 2016
1167 posts
3144 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Slimschmee wrote: I'm using this enough that I figure I'll use it as my main phone til the next big RFD sale or I crack my screen again. (Whichever comes first).

It's not quite as smooth as my Xiaomi Note 5 pro (cracked screen) but it definitely is an improvement for my wife's Samsung S5. I put her phone on Kijiji for $50 and sold it within 5 minutes.

Overall it's definitely worth $120 but can't expect a two year old flagship performance. Temper expectations and light users should be happy.

Anyone else retiring a phone as old as the S5 due to this deal?
Turn animations off and it will smoother and faster
What's in your wallet?
Member
Feb 4, 2017
279 posts
350 upvotes
Slimschmee wrote: I'm using this enough that I figure I'll use it as my main phone til the next big RFD sale or I crack my screen again. (Whichever comes first).

It's not quite as smooth as my Xiaomi Note 5 pro (cracked screen) but it definitely is an improvement for my wife's Samsung S5. I put her phone on Kijiji for $50 and sold it within 5 minutes.

Overall it's definitely worth $120 but can't expect a two year old flagship performance. Temper expectations and light users should be happy.

Anyone else retiring a phone as old as the S5 due to this deal?
My Moto E4 is biting dust in the drawer after I got this phone.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2018
35 posts
15 upvotes
Maybe all of us here should do a complaint together. We are well informed enough to know that rogers,telus have a whitelist of IMEI that allows only their devices to work on VOLTE.

P.S They will try to trick you, to confuse you, but your device already has everything it needs to run volte as much as one bought from them has. The no support excuse does not give them the right to create a blacklist oh excuse me, I mean a whitelist.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4148 posts
3725 upvotes
gabuser wrote: The government should look into that crap. It's just another way to lock in users to their Telco
The government is in the carriers pockets, always has been.

They'll 'investigate', and like all these sorts of anti consumer things, they'll 'force' the carriers years after the carriers have made their money already.

This issue is so technical that no MP will understand it anyways, so good luck getting traction. Look how long it took them to get unlocked phones to be a thing?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4148 posts
3725 upvotes
Ghost505 wrote: Maybe all of us here should do a complaint together. We are well informed enough to know that rogers,telus have a whitelist of IMEI that allows only their devices to work on VOLTE.

P.S They will try to trick you, to confuse you, but your device already has everything it needs to run volte as much as one bought from them has. The no support excuse does not give them the right to create a blacklist oh excuse me, I mean a whitelist.
People old enough to remember will see something cyclycal here. There was a time when you weren't allowed to connect a phone other then one provided to you by you carrier to your landline. The 'excuse' was 'unauthorized phones would break the network', so millions of consumers paid monthly to rent phones. It took DECADES for governments to force carriers to stop this rediculous practice.

When they did Bell found a loophole: if there was a problem with your wiring and you were renting a phone from them they'd fix it for free, if you weren't renting a phone from them they'd charge you some insane price to fix it. The result is many people kept their rented phones.

30-40 years later we're in the exact same boat. They claim that enabling an INDUSTRY STANDARD FEATURE will break something, and everybody 'believes' them. That's actually happening of course is the carriers are paying the MPs to ignore these sorts of things, and money talks.

Compain all you want, 10 years from now, when VoLTE won't even be a feature people use anymore, the government will act.
Member
Feb 4, 2017
279 posts
350 upvotes
Ghost505 wrote: Maybe all of us here should do a complaint together. We are well informed enough to know that rogers,telus have a whitelist of IMEI that allows only their devices to work on VOLTE.

P.S They will try to trick you, to confuse you, but your device already has everything it needs to run volte as much as one bought from them has. The no support excuse does not give them the right to create a blacklist oh excuse me, I mean a whitelist.
Just spoke to Freedom's "technical support". Lady had no idea what I was talking about... You can't fix stupid so I gave up
Member
Nov 25, 2016
493 posts
348 upvotes
I find it so interesting that the use of the word corruption in this context here is so rare. It's just standard industry practice meant to protect the consumers, I guess.

Top