Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1050 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
old_old_7 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 2:51 pm
Last time I bought this brand, screen broken, can't find any store replace for me in Toronto.
lucky I goto Hong Kong, but same happen there,ask over 20 stores, no one can do the screen replace .
Lucky I goto china the other week, damn , not even have ant store can do the relace.
What happen if you guy want to change battery, do by yourself?
forgot to mention, GPS on the phone not work, never find location, search the internet, many user got same problem, someone share info how to open the phone to fix, the factory said the known issue will be fix after software update but never come ! ( at lease no update fix till my phone screen broken
More do more worng,
less do less wong,
no do no wrog.
Oct 22, 2005
595 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
old_old_7 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 2:55 pm
forgot to mention, GPS on the phone not work, never find location, search the internet, many user got same problem, someone share info how to open the phone to fix, the factory said the known issue will be fix after software update but never come ! ( at lease no update fix till my phone screen broken
Just to be clear this issue you are having is wiyh older Umidigi phone and not related to the A5 pro correct.... Have not heard anyone's having such issues with Umidigi newer models...
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17168 posts
23689 upvotes
ONTARIO
My GPS works fine.
However I did run into a bug finally with the phone. Phone won't charge over 95%. Software bug perhaps?

First day I got it, it was at 85% charge. I plugged it in and it charged up all the way to 100%. Today it was around 40% charge, so I plugged it in to charge it back up. However doesn't matter how long it stays plugged in, it won't go above 95%. It says it's charging, but the battery always remains at 95.

Obviously this isn't a huge deal, but this is the first bug I've noticed with the phone. I am going to allow the battery to fully drain down to 0% next time and then charge it back up and see what happens.
Edit: After posting this I checked the phone again and it now shows 100%. I swear it was showing 95% for way longer than normal though, so that is weird. I think rebooting the phone fixed it. I guess ignore my previous comments, lol.

Also not a bug, but when you reboot the phone, even before the phone boots into the android lock screen, you have to input your pin/pattern to even allow it to boot Android at all (then do it a second time at the lock screen to get into the phone).
Does anyone know how to turn that first requirement off? I don't want to have to enter the pin/pattern twice every time I reboot. It should go directly to the lock screen.
Edit2: Figured out how to turn this feature off. in settings -> security & location -> screen lock, set a new screen lock pin/pattern/password (can be same one as currently in use) and on the next screen it asks if you want to further secure the device by asking for pin at boot. Say No and that's it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7261 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone find a working gcam apk ?
_{o,o}...{o.-}--{0,0}
_|)__)_--|)_(|-_-(__(|
--"-"-___-"-"-__--"-"-
Apr 25, 2014
130 posts
93 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Slimschmee wrote:
Jul 13th, 2019 7:48 am
Anyone else retiring a phone as old as the S5 due to this deal?
I am retiring two phones (both screen cracked), an LG Nexus 4 and a Samsung S4... So, I expect improvements! Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 14, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
Hey folks,

Got my A5 on Friday. Took 12 days to go from the shipped notification to my mailbox in Regina, SK, Canada. Standard delivery option, so no duty. Fairly impressed so far with performance. Camera is really the only let down at the moment. If anybody has camera tips I would love to hear them. I tried the gcam 5.1 apk, but all the pictures are coming out dark or black. I am not a big picture guy so stock camera will probably be good enough.

The one strange issue I have is that in portrait orientation about 3/8" from the right hand side of the screen there is a razor thin whiteish-grey vertical line that runs the length of the panel that is only visible (or perhaps noticeable) when the brightness is at ~75% or above, and the background of the image is on the blue to gray spectrum. It also goes away after the screen has been on for a few minutes. This would lead me to believe that this is a software issue as opposed to hardware. This is my first smartphone without an AMOLED screen, so I have almost not experience with LCD panels, if anybody else has this issue, has experience it on the A5 or a different phone, or ideas for how to remedy it I would love to hear it.
Last edited by thungle on Jul 15th, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 14, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
I got mine last friday. It shipped on July 3. It arrived in York region in Ontario at my community mailbox, no duties or signature required.
I have a Pixel 3XL and a Samsung s10. I got this one to play with as I thought that the deal sounded to good to be true, and FOMO.
It's a decent phone for the price. I got breathing crystal, and it is okay looks wise. It certainly does not look like a $100 phone. Performance is what is expected at this price range. It connects to band 66 on Freedom, but no VOLTE or wifi calling.
GPS seems to be good. I'm using it as a daily driver for a couple of days before giving it to my mother. I used it for Uber this morning (driver) and I had no issues with reception, GPS coverage, etc. You would think double whammy with cheap phone on a cheap carrier like freedom, but so far so good. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind, you are paying $100 or less for this.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17168 posts
23689 upvotes
ONTARIO
I think the camera takes pretty good shots if you're up close to what you're trying to take a picture of. The farther back, the worse it gets. Although perhaps that could be helped by adjusting some settings. I know I take crap shots regardless, but I am satisfied enough with it.

This up close shot of a few growing tomatoes is not too bad. Good enough for me. Although I am aware of a kind of yellow-ish tint. I had google photos auto fix the colour and you can see the difference.
Images
  • IMG_20190715_130111.jpg
  • IMG_20190715_130111 (1).jpg
Jul 12, 2019
12 posts
13 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 8:13 am
Bump.
Data: only 1 SIM activated to be used at a time
Voice: can set default SIM, but selectable on calling, can receive call on both SIMs.
Text: can set default SIM, but selectable on texting. Can receive text on both SIMs.
Jul 12, 2019
12 posts
13 upvotes
This phone will work on Freedom Mobile but not the VoLTE and WiFi calling features.

VoLTE option (in setting->network & internet->mobile network->advanced) is missing.

Although you can enable WiFi calling but it won't work. Call is routed through 3G.

Customer service insists Freedom Mobile doesn't block the features by phone or IMEI, just phone firmware not compatible with Freedom network.
Dec 28, 2010
103 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Got ours today as well in the community mailbox. My son (13) likes it so far - guess he will continue using it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5104 posts
870 upvotes
Montreal
BrianTanH wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 2:04 pm
Data: only 1 SIM activated to be used at a time
Voice: can set default SIM, but selectable on calling, can receive call on both SIMs.
Text: can set default SIM, but selectable on texting. Can receive text on both SIMs.
So I could have Telus for Voice and Text on Sim1 and Fido Data on SIM2. That would work for me.
Phils
Feb 4, 2017
220 posts
263 upvotes
BrianTanH wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 2:13 pm
This phone will work on Freedom Mobile but not the VoLTE and WiFi calling features.

VoLTE option (in setting->network & internet->mobile network->advanced) is missing.

Although you can enable WiFi calling but it won't work. Call is routed through 3G.

Customer service insists Freedom Mobile doesn't block the features by phone or IMEI, just phone firmware not compatible with Freedom network.
Enabling VoLTE is the same as enabling wifi calling, you just would select Mobile Network as preferred. Choosing wifi as preferred means wifi calling.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Penoo