• Oct 19th, 2019 2:29 pm
Tags:
May 24, 2019
47 posts
19 upvotes
Lévis
LikeSpeed wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 2:18 am
Anyone else having these problems with there phone or can offer some advice.

I have the MTK drivers installed but when I connect the phone to my computer all I can see Is my SD card

Also is there any way to edit the APN settings, I did a quick search and it seems that a few people had the same problem with the A3.
I'm on chatr and my phone is automatically set to Rogers APN. It's showing up as Rogers no service but still working for calls and internet
But I think it messing with my mobile hotspot. Cause every time I create one it saids no internet
It's listed as "Access Point Name" in the options. I was able to set up mine with Fizz using it.
May 5, 2015
371 posts
233 upvotes
GVA
pob444 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 7:30 am
It's listed as "Access Point Name" in the options. I was able to set up mine with Fizz using it.
Yeah I got that far but with the Chatr sim there is no option to edit. I may just pick up a fizz or freedom sim so I can get that to work
Apr 8, 2015
788 posts
787 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
gardarik wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 10:56 am
Bought A5 Pro for my daughter to upgrade her Redmi Note 4X. Camera(s) is pretty much the same, everything else is better.
nkit88 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 10:39 am
How does this phone compare to the Global Version Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Is it a n upgrade or downgrade? Thanks
Snapdragon 625 found in the Redmi note 4 is almost twice as old as the p23 chipset. However, these processors have similar scores with the 625 coming slightly ahead. Most likely not noticeable. The screen has the same resolution and both batteries should provide capable. The more expensive redmi note 7 pro would be the real upgrade here, otherwise mostly sideways.
Dec 6, 2012
251 posts
115 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
No regrets buying this phone so far. Call quality is great on VoLTE with Virgin. Battery is great and it supports all network bands from my providers(Virgin/Fido).

It replaced my Xiaomi redmi note 3 SE which doesn't get LTE inside buildings or basement because it lacked bands 13, 17 on Virgin and bands 12, 17 on Fido.

Surprisingly WiFi calling works on Freedom. Wife is happy about that.

The camera isn't the best in low light. I am thinking of using another camera software.

Overall 8/10.
Dec 30, 2007
115 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
donbamo wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 5:32 pm
No regrets buying this phone so far. Call quality is great on VoLTE with Virgin. Battery is great and it supports all network bands from my providers(Virgin/Fido).

It replaced my Xiaomi redmi note 3 SE which doesn't get LTE inside buildings or basement because it lacked bands 13, 17 on Virgin and bands 12, 17 on Fido.

Surprisingly WiFi calling works on Freedom. Wife is happy about that.

The camera isn't the best in low light. I am thinking of using another camera software.

Overall 8/10.
How long does the phone last ?
Nov 9, 2014
55 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
gabuser wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 10:11 pm
I've had mine for a couple of days. Overall, it's faster than my iPhone 6, battery dropped to 65% after a work day and Waze driven drive home. I fiddled with my phone a lot, so I suspect more use than normal. Overall I'm pleased with the build and general function of the phone. The camera is noticeably worse than my iPhone 6. Low light is basically terrible - will play with it some more. If I can't figure out how to get better results from the camera I'll regret buying it.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17172 posts
23694 upvotes
ONTARIO
So looks like UMIDIGI already has the A5 Pro on Amazon.ca. They're wanting $179.99 though which is way too much in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.ca/Version-Waterdrop ... ay&sr=8-13

Might be worth watching though in case they have lightning deal/coupons to bring the cost down.

Edit: They added a $10 off coupon for the breathing crystal colour. So $169.99. Still too expensive though. I am going to keep track though. Might pick up a second from Amazon if it ever drops down to 120 or less.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1241 posts
337 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 8:10 pm
So looks like UMIDIGI already has the A5 Pro on Amazon.ca. They're wanting $179.99 though which is way too much in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.ca/Version-Waterdrop ... ay&sr=8-13

Might be worth watching though in case they have lightning deal/coupons to bring the cost down.

Edit: They added a $10 off coupon for the breathing crystal colour. So $169.99. Still too expensive though. I am going to keep track though. Might pick up a second from Amazon if it ever drops down to 120 or less.
Fulfilled by Amazon so 30 days returnable in case something goes wrong. I will wait for a drop in $$ as well.
Dec 6, 2012
251 posts
115 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
gabuser wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 10:11 pm
With average usage, you can get two full days from the battery. With light usage, you will definitely get more than 2 days.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17172 posts
23694 upvotes
ONTARIO
donbamo wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 8:17 pm
With average usage, you can get two full days from the battery. With light usage, you will definitely get more than 2 days.
Definitely.
I am a light user and my last charge got me at least 4 days according to the battery settings. Might have been even closer to 5.

Battery settings said 4 days since last full charge and had my screen usage at around 3 hours. I ended up plugging it in when it was at 10% left.
Dec 2, 2014
7 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Hey Guys,

I need the phone to vibrate when I call smb and he answers the call [vibrate on call connect]. I cannot find the option.

Can smb help me with this one? Thanks
May 24, 2019
47 posts
19 upvotes
Lévis
Update on the dispute on aliexpress: Umidigi asked to return it for a refund, which I declined. Aliexpress offered to refund 80% of what I paid (so 72USD), which is not the best, but better than returning it for me.
I guess now I'll try to manually flash the OTA update (I have no clue what that means at this point) to see if I can unbrick it (it's stuck on bootloop).
Aug 23, 2011
28 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver
Mine just shipped. I ordered breathing crystal on Jul 17. Seems the phone is no longer presale and it has launched. Some space grey units can be shipped from the states now too.

Aside from that, I don't really understand what they're going for with the Umidigi X. They're letting people guess the retail price as a contest, and it's multiple choice between 169-229. The in screen fingerprint seems really gimmicky and the screen res is awful. As least it's AMOLED I guess. I wonder how all those 48MP sensors they put out perform anyway.
Nov 25, 2015
65 posts
51 upvotes
Simcoe, ON
Azureskies wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 7:29 am
Mine just shipped. I ordered breathing crystal on Jul 17. Seems the phone is no longer presale and it has launched. Some space grey units can be shipped from the states now too.

Aside from that, I don't really understand what they're going for with the Umidigi X. They're letting people guess the retail price as a contest, and it's multiple choice between 169-229. The in screen fingerprint seems really gimmicky and the screen res is awful. As least it's AMOLED I guess. I wonder how all those 48MP sensors they put out perform anyway.

Ordered another A5 Pro for my wife on July 17th and it has been shipped Aug 1st.
Dec 1, 2003
95 posts
24 upvotes
after about 2wks with this phone, everything is good except for the camera.
battery life is ok, id expect a bit more given the battery capacity, but it is an older mtk chip so a bit more power hungry. i get about 5-6hrs of SOT.. towards 5 if gaming or watching vids and just a tad over 6 if light surfing etc. on complete standby, it sat for over 2 days and was still at 60+%.

screen has vibrant colours, contrast is just meh in daylight unless u crank up brightness to max. but indoors its quite nice is say.

build quality is impressive given the price. does not feel or look like a $100 phone.

network and band support is great, ive popped in sims from every carrier and it worked without a hitch, including freedom.

now the camera... white balance is waaaaay off. wide angle shots are distorted on one side. bokeh effect is ok and one of the few camera operations that do work. sharpness is terrible.
for the camera hardware/specs, its truly disappointing.
i would be hesitant to pick up the umidigi x based on the poor camera experience ive seen on the a5.
hopefully they put out another software update that can improve the camera, but im not holding my breath.