• Oct 16th, 2019 7:19 am
Tags:
Dec 30, 2007
115 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
wtam wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 5:48 pm
after about 2wks with this phone, everything is good except for the camera.
battery life is ok, id expect a bit more given the battery capacity, but it is an older mtk chip so a bit more power hungry. i get about 5-6hrs of SOT.. towards 5 if gaming or watching vids and just a tad over 6 if light surfing etc. on complete standby, it sat for over 2 days and was still at 60+%.

screen has vibrant colours, contrast is just meh in daylight unless u crank up brightness to max. but indoors its quite nice is say.

build quality is impressive given the price. does not feel or look like a $100 phone.

network and band support is great, ive popped in sims from every carrier and it worked without a hitch, including freedom.

now the camera... white balance is waaaaay off. wide angle shots are distorted on one side. bokeh effect is ok and one of the few camera operations that do work. sharpness is terrible.
for the camera hardware/specs, its truly disappointing.
i would be hesitant to pick up the umidigi x based on the poor camera experience ive seen on the a5.
hopefully they put out another software update that can improve the camera, but im not holding my breath.
5 hours doesn't seem too great , i was hoping for more than a day plus but you do bring up a good point , older mtk chip that is more power hungry. 4ah batteries seem to be more common nowadays. Maybe i should have paid more to the get the power.
Sep 2, 2017
275 posts
275 upvotes
Edmonton
So I ordered mine on July 3rd and it shipped on the 23rd and I just received it today in Edmonton. So if anyone else ordered it around the same time and if you haven’t received it yet, you should get it soon!
Dec 23, 2006
504 posts
147 upvotes
I ordered mine on July 4. Seller shipped on the 29th and I received it today.

The phone is impressive for the $130 I've paid. It feels solid and sleek. Screen is crisp and clear. I got the crystal one the black case that came with it serves the purpose but a clear case will look miles better IMHO. Calls and google/chrome/youtube are responsive no lag. I will try putting more apps and games later. Camera and speaker (when playing music) is so-so but that is expected.

The >4000mah battery takes long time to charge with my generic 5 port charger. This phone needs the 10W charger that came with it or better.

I have yet to test this myself. Saw the few posts above the battery life is not too great for gaming/video. If that's the case then the phone will be great for parents as a very good looking basic phone that can do multimedia sparingly.
Fido $40 5GB small + $15 4GB tablet data
PM $20 province wide talk
PM $10 50 min 50 txt
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17157 posts
23676 upvotes
ONTARIO
Another new update was just released for this phone.

Update says camera optimization. Anyone test it out? Is the camera any better now?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1471 posts
469 upvotes
Winnipeg
Received mine today. Ordered on July 4th. seems ok so far. Somewhat strange settings menu but maybe I'm just used to my Samsung.

i gather it shows only 4g in the top tray and not LTE by the looks of it.
Lorenzo
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3739 posts
3275 upvotes
lorenzo1000 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2019 7:07 pm
Received mine today. Ordered on July 4th. seems ok so far. Somewhat strange settings menu but maybe I'm just used to my Samsung.

i gather it shows only 4g in the top tray and not LTE by the looks of it.
Like most phones in the world, outside of NA:

3G = UMTS
H/H+ = HSPA
4G = LTE
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
Finally received my phone on Tuesday. After the last 1.4 update I haven't had any issues with the camera or other issues. Except one, as like others my wifi mac address keeps changing after every reboot or when wifi is turned off and on.

This an issue when either I want to register my phone with my ISP's hotspots or work wifi.
I've played with older MediaTek devices that have 3rd party applications to change it or you need root access. I'm hoping it could be fixed with an OTA update somehow.

I'm quite sure this is a Umidigi issue as others have reported this on other devices not just the A5 pro.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3739 posts
3275 upvotes
slider12 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 10:54 am
Finally received my phone on Tuesday. After the last 1.4 update I haven't had any issues with the camera or other issues. Except one, as like others my wifi mac address keeps changing after every reboot or when wifi is turned off and on.

This an issue when either I want to register my phone with my ISP's hotspots or work wifi.
I've played with older MediaTek devices that have 3rd party applications to change it or you need root access. I'm hoping it could be fixed with an OTA update somehow.

I'm quite sure this is a Umidigi issue as others have reported this on other devices not just the A5 pro.
I consider changing MACs a privacy protecting feature, not an issue.

The use of a MAC address for authentication is fundamentally flawed, any network that relies on that is run by someone who doesn't know what they are doing IMHO.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3721 posts
1111 upvotes
Edmonton
slider12 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 10:54 am

Are you referring to shaw's wifi? I had problems with my Asus ZenFone - Shaw kept asking me to add it over and over, but then it just seemed to work. We added this A5 pro as well, and I believe it's still working. I'd have to check with my Son though. Next time we're near a shaw wifi I'll verify it.
Apr 8, 2015
776 posts
779 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
wtam wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 5:48 pm
after about 2wks with this phone, everything is good except for the camera.
battery life is ok, id expect a bit more given the battery capacity, but it is an older mtk chip so a bit more power hungry. i get about 5-6hrs of SOT.. towards 5 if gaming or watching vids and just a tad over 6 if light surfing etc. on complete standby, it sat for over 2 days and was still at 60+%.

screen has vibrant colours, contrast is just meh in daylight unless u crank up brightness to max. but indoors its quite nice is say.

build quality is impressive given the price. does not feel or look like a $100 phone.

network and band support is great, ive popped in sims from every carrier and it worked without a hitch, including freedom.

now the camera... white balance is waaaaay off. wide angle shots are distorted on one side. bokeh effect is ok and one of the few camera operations that do work. sharpness is terrible.
for the camera hardware/specs, its truly disappointing.
i would be hesitant to pick up the umidigi x based on the poor camera experience ive seen on the a5.
hopefully they put out another software update that can improve the camera, but im not holding my breath.
Well thats no surprise. If you google the MediaTek chip, their own website will confirm that it doesn't support the resolution or even the number of lenses.
Jan 11, 2015
7 posts
Toronto, ON
donbamo wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 5:32 pm
Surprisingly WiFi calling works on Freedom. Wife is happy about that.
Can you confirm again and maybe post a screenshot? This would be completely unprecedented on Freedom.
Jul 11, 2019
4 posts
8 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Aug 7th, 2019 7:49 am
Another new update was just released for this phone.

Update says camera optimization. Anyone test it out? Is the camera any better now?
I just took a few pictures and I can say the pics are muuuucccchhhh better now. Even better than my LG G6.
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
gershon21 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 9:05 pm

Can you confirm again and maybe post a screenshot? This would be completely unprecedented on Freedom.
I can also confirm wifi calling works on Freedom which is awesome.

To respond on the changing Mac address issue, as either it being stupid or smart implementation most workplace wifi and ISP like Shaw's hotspots require a static Mac address to work.

Like I've said I've flashed custom ROMs onto MediaTek phones before and if your not careful you can wipe the IMEI #'s, mac addresses etc. Stored in the NVRAM and I'm willing to bet it was a mistake on Umidigi's part not done for security.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190808-201312~2.png
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3739 posts
3275 upvotes
slider12 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 10:24 pm
To respond on the changing Mac address issue, as either it being stupid or smart implementation most workplace wifi and ISP like Shaw's hotspots require a static Mac address to work.
I have never encountered a corporate network that locks to MAC address. It's a completely pointless exercise since spoofing a MAC is trivial.

I would be wary of any network admin who thinks that's a good idea.
Jul 23, 2006
403 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
I found call volume is low, go to sound setting page, try call volume, it low than alarm or music,
search internet, a lot people has call volume low problem,

do anyone find this problem too?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)