Expired Hot Deals

[Aliexpress] Umidigi A5 Pro smartphone ~$120

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2020 4:27 pm
Tags:
Jr. Member
May 12, 2016
134 posts
172 upvotes
GTA
googlebot wrote: do anyone find this problem too?
I don't have that problem but I found this solution:
1. Enter into engineering mode by calling *#*#3646633#*#*
2. Hardware testing > Audio> Volume -> Voice
3. Set NB and WB values as on attached pictures
Screenshot_20190808-205105.png
Screenshot_20190808-205115.png
Newbie
Jan 11, 2015
9 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slider12 wrote: I can also confirm wifi calling works on Freedom which is awesome.
Wow. Just got it working. No VOLTE though. Did you get that working?
Member
Feb 4, 2017
287 posts
356 upvotes
gershon21 wrote: Wow. Just got it working. No VOLTE though. Did you get that working?
I tried to get VoLTE to work with Freedom but it's not going to happen. The phone is compatible but Freedom has it blocked.
Newbie
Jul 11, 2019
4 posts
8 upvotes
2 pics with the last update (20190805)
Images
  • IMG_20190808_204113_4.jpg
  • IMG_20190808_205818_5.jpg
Newbie
Jan 11, 2015
9 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Zoughi1 wrote: I tried to get VoLTE to work with Freedom but it's not going to happen. The phone is compatible but Freedom has it blocked.
That's what I thought, but somebody said it worked. WiFi calling shouldn't work either, so I'm floored it does.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1389 posts
278 upvotes
Mississauga
gardarik wrote: I don't have that problem but I found this solution:
1. Enter into engineering mode by calling *#*#3646633#*#*
2. Hardware testing > Audio> Volume -> Voice
3. Set NB and WB values as on attached pictures

Screenshot_20190808-205105.png Screenshot_20190808-205115.png
I have very low audio volume and tried the settings mentioned in the screen shot but no improvement at all.

Basically i started using the phone since saturday and not that impressed. Here are the problems i am having and hope some one has solutions or fixes.

1>Audio is very low
2>Battery is quickly draining, installed 90 apps in an hour and battery came to 50%. last night charged to 100% and this morning came down to 85% with 30 minutes of voice call
3>Answering the call, the swiping icon upwards is not responding quickly and have to swipe multiple times to get call connected
4>Face reorganization does not work most of the time.
5>Phone case is very thing and i doubt it will protect any fall. need to buy better one..any suggestions?
so far these are the issues
Last edited by mkannuri on Aug 13th, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
slider12 wrote: I can also confirm wifi calling works on Freedom which is awesome.

To respond on the changing Mac address issue, as either it being stupid or smart implementation most workplace wifi and ISP like Shaw's hotspots require a static Mac address to work.

Like I've said I've flashed custom ROMs onto MediaTek phones before and if your not careful you can wipe the IMEI #'s, mac addresses etc. Stored in the NVRAM and I'm willing to bet it was a mistake on Umidigi's part not done for security.
Luckily I found a fix for the Shaw hotspot issue and that is to use ShawPassport as an SSID vs. ShawOpen and when you configure you connection use AKA as an EAP method. So it uses your SIM for authentication and it doesn't matter what is you MAC address. Only works if you're on Freedom mobile.
Still can't connect to my companies wifi as they do require the MAC address to be registered. I don't think they have this requirement for security as much as for tracking what sites you visit, if no MAC address was needed then anyone could connect with the default username and password so wouldn't be as easy to track individuals on the company wifi.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5145 posts
4709 upvotes
slider12 wrote: Luckily I found a fix for the Shaw hotspot issue and that is to use ShawPassport as an SSID vs. ShawOpen and when you configure you connection use AKA as an EAP method. So it uses your SIM for authentication and it doesn't matter what is you MAC address. Only works if you're on Freedom mobile.
Still can't connect to my companies wifi as they do require the MAC address to be registered. I don't think they have this requirement for security as much as for tracking what sites you visit, if no MAC address was needed then anyone could connect with the default username and password so wouldn't be as easy to track individuals on the company wifi.
Except of course someone could spoof your MAC and surf all the porn they want, with you being blamed...

No, using a MAC for ANY sort of authentication or identification is ridiculous, any IT person who thinks otherwise is very suspect IMHO.

The solution is to simply have each person have their own credentials (username and password) when logging into WIFI, enterprise WIFI solutions have this built in, it's not hard.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1389 posts
278 upvotes
Mississauga
mkannuri wrote: I have very low audio volume and tried the settings mentioned in the screen shot but no improvement at all.

Basically i started using the phone since saturday and not that impressed. Here are the problems i am having and hope some one has solutions or fixes.

1>Audio is very low
2>Battery is quickly draining, installed 90 apps in an hour and battery came to 50%. last night charged to 100% and this morning came down to 85% with 30 minutes of voice call
3>Answering the call, the swiping icon upwards is not responding quickly and have to swipe multiple times to get call connected
4>Face reorganization does not work most of the time.
5>Phone case is very thing and i doubt it will protect any fall. need to buy better one..any suggestions?
so far these are the issues
6>playing with camera and observed the focusing is not good. tried to scan DL and other cards, its taking lot of time to focus..most of the time its blurr and have to focus bit far then come back to closest object.

any one have the above stated issues?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18123 posts
25436 upvotes
ONTARIO
mkannuri wrote: 6>playing with camera and observed the focusing is not good. tried to scan DL and other cards, its taking lot of time to focus..most of the time its blurr and have to focus bit far then come back to closest object.

any one have the above stated issues?
I have no issues with this. Are you sure you're taking a picture with enough lighting? Not using ultra wide mode by mistake ?

I just took a quick up close picture of this small seed packet I have and it focuses quite quickly on the text. No issues with documents or anything.
In fact it's quite awesome with google lens. Can instantly turn a document into text you can copy/paste. Very handy.
Images
  • IMG_20190813_164854_7.jpg
  • IMG_20190813_164944_1.jpg
Newbie
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
repatch wrote: Except of course someone could spoof your MAC and surf all the porn they want, with you being blamed...

No, using a MAC for ANY sort of authentication or identification is ridiculous, any IT person who thinks otherwise is very suspect IMHO.

The solution is to simply have each person have their own credentials (username and password) when logging into WIFI, enterprise WIFI solutions have this built in, it's not hard.
I don't understand the point you keep trying to make. Either way I am not part of the IT dept. at my company and do not have control over how the wifi is setup.
You keep trying to argue your point like I have a choice to change it which makes zero sense.
Thanks for your input it's noted and not needed any further as it's not helping or solving anything.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 10, 2004
3892 posts
1257 upvotes
Edmonton
Did anyone find a decent aftermarket case and glass screen protector?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18123 posts
25436 upvotes
ONTARIO
U4IA wrote: Did anyone find a decent aftermarket case and glass screen protector?
I bought a glass screen protector from china for $2. It worked fine. However I ended up effing it up trying to apply it and despite my best efforts, some dust got trapped underneath and there was noticeable air bubbles.
It wasn't too bad and perhaps I should have just left it, but it annoyed me enough that I tried to take it off and fix it, but that just ended up just making everything worse, lol. In the end it was looking really bad so I removed it and chalked it up to a loss.

This is the one I purchased:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302420 ... 4c4dA5Cikk

Might be worth it to search around though for something even cheaper.
Member
Feb 4, 2017
287 posts
356 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: I have very low audio volume and tried the settings mentioned in the screen shot but no improvement at all.

Basically i started using the phone since saturday and not that impressed. Here are the problems i am having and hope some one has solutions or fixes.

1>Audio is very low
2>Battery is quickly draining, installed 90 apps in an hour and battery came to 50%. last night charged to 100% and this morning came down to 85% with 30 minutes of voice call
3>Answering the call, the swiping icon upwards is not responding quickly and have to swipe multiple times to get call connected
4>Face reorganization does not work most of the time.
5>Phone case is very thing and i doubt it will protect any fall. need to buy better one..any suggestions?
so far these are the issues
The audio is low but the settings above improved things.
My phone has been unplugged for 3 hours and battery is at 98%. I keep the brightness under control.
No issues with call answering.
Don't use face recognition.
Considering the cost of this phone I don't mind purchasing a couple of cases from AE.

I'm very happy considering the price paid.
Newbie
Aug 23, 2011
32 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver
I got mine yesterday. I'm impressed overall for the price. It gives me the option to enable WiFi calling on Freedom but it doesn't work for me. VoLTE is disabled for Freedom like other folks. Earpiece does seem a little quiet but acceptable. The speaker gets very distorted at high volumes.

I ran Geekbench, Antutu and 3DMark on it out of curiosity. CPU seems fine but the GPU seems a bit weak. Geekbench places the GPU between LG G3 and G4, but 3DMark puts it under the LG G2, which is probably more accurate.

I ran Geekbench's battery benchmark twice, both times with 2 SIMs in and WiFi on. At 100% brightness it lasted just over 6 hours, and at 0% brightness it lasted just over 10 hours. Accubattery says the battery is just under the listed spec at 4038 mAh / 97% of 4150 mAh based on 2 charges.

CPU: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/se ... igi+a5_pro
GPU: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/comput ... igi+a5_pro
Battery: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/batter ... igi+a5_pro (I'm the only one who's done full discharges so far)
Antutu CPU: 35553 Antutu GPU: 16963 Antutu UX: 23610 Antutu Memory: 5769

Top