• Sep 21st, 2019 9:46 am
Tags:
Mar 8, 2004
184 posts
46 upvotes
Kanata
Paco321 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 9:24 pm
I just took a few pictures and I can say the pics are muuuucccchhhh better now. Even better than my LG G6.
Anyone else seeing camera improvements working on their phone? How is the image quality now after latest update?
How is the wide angle camera?

I like my G5 with it's wide angle lens as I enjoy taking those pics but the battery life barely lasts me a day with light usage.
May 24, 2019
46 posts
19 upvotes
Lévis
Spawk1028 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:58 am
One of the 2 phones I ordered was totally screwed. Stuck in boot loop all day. Tried everything to fix it but with no luck. Anyone know if I can put another version of an OS on it? I got a refund of 95% but the phone is literally useless
Flashing the ROM fixed the bootloop issue for me. You can find the steps and download the file here: https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php ... a=page%3D1
It would bootloop again every time they pushed a OTA update. But you can bypass that by downloading the file (available later) on the phone and installing it from there.

My phone has several issues beside that: apps crashing is the most annoying. I "fix" that by rebooting, which seems to work.
Oct 28, 2016
958 posts
2445 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
pob444 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 5:01 pm
Flashing the ROM fixed the bootloop issue for me. You can find the steps and download the file here: https://community.umidigi.com/forum.php ... a=page%3D1
It would bootloop again every time they pushed a OTA update. But you can bypass that by downloading the file (available later) on the phone and installing it from there.

My phone has several issues beside that: apps crashing is the most annoying. I "fix" that by rebooting, which seems to work.
Yeah I have that issue too. Apps closing and then after like 10 mins it reboots
"Live Long....and ProspeRFD"
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary
Spawk1028 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:58 am
One of the 2 phones I ordered was totally screwed. Stuck in boot loop all day. Tried everything to fix it but with no luck. Anyone know if I can put another version of an OS on it? I got a refund of 95% but the phone is literally useless
Your phone is far from being screwed and it's very easy to fix since it's a MediaTek processor.
Umidigi actually does a very good job explaining how to use SP Flash Tool to flash any version of their ROM to their devices.

First things first read this entire web page before getting started.
MediaTek SP Flash Tool Tutorial

Couple of very important notes.
NEVER use the Format All + Download option - Never use it!!!
Reasons why are listed in the previous link but mainly you will loose cell and SIM card functionality if you do.
The hardest part of the flashing process is installing the device drivers into windows but again the above link has a decent explanation on how to do this.

The most recent release at this time of their A5 Pro ROM is v1.4 which you can download from here.
UMIDIGI A5 Pro V1.4_20190805 ROM - SPFT + OTA release

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3617 posts
3130 upvotes
slider12 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 9:41 am
Your phone is far from being screwed and it's very easy to fix since it's a MediaTek processor.
Umidigi actually does a very good job explaining how to use SP Flash Tool to flash any version of their ROM to their devices.
Hopefully true.

However, a boot loop on a brand new phone is also quite possibly a hardware problem, reflashing won't do anything. Look up the cases of Nexus phones or LG phones going into permanent boot loops.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Nov 26, 2013
19 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary
repatch wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 10:37 am
Hopefully true.

However, a boot loop on a brand new phone is also quite possibly a hardware problem, reflashing won't do anything. Look up the cases of Nexus phones or LG phones going into permanent boot loops.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
True I wouldn't guarantee anything but using BLU devices built on MediaTek processors in the past. Every time I thought I bricked the phone re-flashing the stock ROM fixed my problem.
I did get in a bootloop myself with my A5 Pro after upgrading to v1.4 but using the v1.3 boot.img for Magisk systemless root.
So I know the boot image is being updated in the newer update and my assumption is yours became corrupted which re-flashing will fix.
May 24, 2019
46 posts
19 upvotes
Lévis
slider12 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 9:41 am

First things first read this entire web page before getting started.
MediaTek SP Flash Tool Tutorial

Couple of very important notes.
NEVER use the Format All + Download option - Never use it!!!
Reasons why are listed in the previous link but mainly you will loose cell and SIM card functionality if you do.
The hardest part of the flashing process is installing the device drivers into windows but again the above link has a decent explanation on how to do this.

The most recent release at this time of their A5 Pro ROM is v1.4 which you can download from here.
UMIDIGI A5 Pro V1.4_20190805 ROM - SPFT + OTA release

Good luck!
It fixed the bootloop for me, but the phone is still bugged. Apps close by themselves. This morning, I couldn't open the phone as it couldn't locate the system somehow, had to factory reset it again... Quite a pain.
Oct 28, 2016
958 posts
2445 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Same here
"Live Long....and ProspeRFD"
May 12, 2016
83 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
New update just arrived. It still says 1.4 but it's another one.
IMG-20190830-WA0000.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17088 posts
23551 upvotes
ONTARIO
Just updated myself. Wonder what camera improvements they've done now?

"Mac address fixed"?
Was this the issue with the wifi mac address constantly changing when you turned your wifi on/off/restarted phone? Because I just tested it and the wifi mac address still changes when I turn the wifi off and on.
Mar 26, 2012
212 posts
74 upvotes
The phone camera seems not that good, especially the selfie camera (blur and slow to focus). Software issues? Any suggestions?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18407 posts
17190 upvotes
Toronto
fkungery wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 11:11 pm
The phone camera seems not that good, especially the selfie camera (blur and slow to focus). Software issues? Any suggestions?
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Dec 1, 2003
95 posts
24 upvotes
Just updated myself. Wonder what camera improvements they've done now?
i did a few before and after update shots. looks like the colour accuracy was improved slightly, especially on the reds. green still looks a bit oversaturated, yellows are a bit better too. The camera is much better than it was day 1, but more improvements on white balance and sharpness are still needed. the cameras on my 4yr old LG G4 and older still nexus 5 blows this out of the water even though technically, this phone has better hardware in both lenses and CPU power/processing.
"Mac address fixed"?
Was this the issue with the wifi mac address constantly changing when you turned your wifi on/off/restarted phone? Because I just tested it and the wifi mac address still changes when I turn the wifi off and on.
as i was the first on the thread to mention this, thought id try.. and yeah, still an issue if you use MAC filtering. Not sure what they fixed here. Im not gonna get into the discussion of MAC filtering security... as others have said, and im in the same boat, I dont own or control my corporate IT security requirements, just have to live with their rules. The randomizing of MACs still is an issue for those environments requiring a fixed MAC.