[AliExpress] UMIDIGI A7 Pro - $142

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 10:12 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3891 posts
1254 upvotes
Edmonton
thyeri wrote: Be careful with Umidigi brand. They don't honor the 12 months warranty. They refused to repair or exchange my F1 play smartphone because they didn't have it in stock anymore. They refunded me $30 (10% of value), because I had used the phone for ten months... !!!
You got more than I did. They told me to contact the seller (AE) and they never responded. Went back and forth for weeks with multiple emails and attempts to get service and nothing. Terrible company.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1420 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rambokid wrote: Anyone received the phone from AliExpress yet? Tracking still shows phone on plane left China on June 4. But haven't landed!
I got mine. Quite satisfied with this phone, its a little slow, but the camera quality is surprisingly good (UMiDiGi cheap phones usually have really crappy cameras). I would say on par with a Redmi 8 (not a Redmi Note 8)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4296 posts
5708 upvotes
Vancouver
chevyz07 wrote: I got mine. Quite satisfied with this phone, its a little slow, but the camera quality is surprisingly good (UMiDiGi cheap phones usually have really crappy cameras). I would say on par with a Redmi 8 (not a Redmi Note 8)
Only crappy camera was on A5 PRO. Really crappy. All other models had decent low end cameras.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
May 9, 2011
31 posts
22 upvotes
I bought this phone and used it for about 2 weeks from Amazon and returned it just a few days ago. I've noticed that this phone is not even listed on Amazon.ca/com anymore. Either it's sold out or the product is so crappy that they had to de-list it - No idea.

However, for $150, it's probably one of the better phones that you can buy within this price range if you're looking for a smartphone with just basic functions. I definitely would've kept the phone if wasn't so buggy! The # of bugs & glitches I've experienced is horrendous:

- Wide angle camera mode doesn't save pictures
- Portrait mode hangs and doesn't even work
- Right side audio is louder than the left through the 3.5mm headphone jack
- The pull-down menu/navigation bar is sometimes unresponsive - restarting the phone fixes this
- Random stutters while scrolling down a list/page in a web browser/Spotify/apps list/etc.
- Random restarts
- Chromecast only connects half of the time
- Expect only 4-5 hours of Youtube playtime from a full charge before the battery runs dry
- Battery gets really hot while charging. A full charge takes about 1.5 hours. Might not be good in the long-term.
- The charging port on my unit is very loose and has a lot of play in it; I might've just got very unlucky and got a defective one.
- Android auto randomly disconnects
- The "Google Assistant" search bar on the home screen is permanent; you can't remove it. Minor annoyance but it takes up a whole row of icons.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4296 posts
5708 upvotes
Vancouver
macal2oni wrote: I bought this phone and used it for about 2 weeks from Amazon and returned it just a few days ago. I've noticed that this phone is not even listed on Amazon.ca/com anymore. Either it's sold out or the product is so crappy that they had to de-list it - No idea.

However, for $150, it's probably one of the better phones that you can buy within this price range if you're looking for a smartphone with just basic functions. I definitely would've kept the phone if wasn't so buggy! The # of bugs & glitches I've experienced is horrendous:

- Wide angle camera mode doesn't save pictures
- Portrait mode hangs and doesn't even work
- Right side audio is louder than the left through the 3.5mm headphone jack
- The pull-down menu/navigation bar is sometimes unresponsive - restarting the phone fixes this
- Random stutters while scrolling down a list/page in a web browser/Spotify/apps list/etc.
- Random restarts
- Chromecast only connects half of the time
- Expect only 4-5 hours of Youtube playtime from a full charge before the battery runs dry
- Battery gets really hot while charging. A full charge takes about 1.5 hours. Might not be good in the long-term.
- The charging port on my unit is very loose and has a lot of play in it; I might've just got very unlucky and got a defective one.
- Android auto randomly disconnects
- The "Google Assistant" search bar on the home screen is permanent; you can't remove it. Minor annoyance but it takes up a whole row of icons.
1. It's probably OOS, will come back.

2. NOT A SINGLE ONE of your problems I've seen within almost 2 weeks... Works like a charm, cameras and all...[hope not to jinxx it...!] You probably got a dud. Their QC leaves a lot to be desired - hence the price... And that's why I am telling to everybody: DO NOT buy it on AE... Wait for Amazon..

2a. Stupid "Google Assistant" is part of pure Android that's installed, and not wrongdoing on Umidigi side. Apply Nova (or any other) launcher and "problem" is gone for good if you don't like it. [I hate it, and $0.99 I paid for Nova is priceless investment; however free version will do it for you as well.]
Jun 12, 2020
26 posts
8 upvotes
Looks like we might have to start a new thread for Umidigi's rumored Fall release of model "Bison." Preliminary specs look like those of S5 Pro: Helio P90, 5000Mah smaller capacity battery, optional 4GB/64GB or 8GB/128GB, Android 11, rugged body similar to Ulefone Armor 7, BT v5.0, NFC, no prices stated. 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41 (if final version does not included bands 66 and/or 71, might be a deal breaker for me because where I live.) A couple sites list spec discrepancies so we'll have to see how all that shakes out in coming months. Hope pricing is decent--might decide I'm bored with the A7 Pro by then.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5135 posts
4703 upvotes
letitbso wrote: Looks like we might have to start a new thread for Umidigi's rumored Fall release of model "Bison." Preliminary specs look like those of S5 Pro: Helio P90, 5000Mah smaller capacity battery, optional 4GB/64GB or 8GB/128GB, Android 11, rugged body similar to Ulefone Armor 7, BT v5.0, NFC, no prices stated. 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41 (if final version does not included bands 66 and/or 71, might be a deal breaker for me because where I live.) A couple sites list spec discrepancies so we'll have to see how all that shakes out in coming months. Hope pricing is decent--might decide I'm bored with the A7 Pro by then.
Considering other Umidigi phones I'm surprised not to see B13 and B66, so hopefully that's wrong,

If the bands listed are correct, it's no good for FM.
Feb 29, 2016
228 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
I ordered an Umidigi from Aliexpress in May and it still hasn’t been delievered. I raised a concern with Aliexpress but they have continuously asked me to wait. I don’t think the phone will ever come.

How can I get a refund?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5135 posts
4703 upvotes
rohan1985 wrote: I ordered an Umidigi from Aliexpress in May and it still hasn’t been delievered. I raised a concern with Aliexpress but they have continuously asked me to wait. I don’t think the phone will ever come.

How can I get a refund?
Groan... when you order from Ali (or DX, or GB, or the other GB) you have to budget 3 months.

You're currently only 2 months in right now, and with how crappy Canadapost is right now 2 months is quick.

As for when you can get a refund, Ali has a 'if you don't get it by this date' date on your order, log in and look it up. After that date request a refund.
Jun 12, 2020
26 posts
8 upvotes
Responding to macal2oni's A7 Pro issues, that is a real bummer, you definitely received a dub. My A7 Pro has not experienced any of the same functioning issues you mention. I did immediately install the latest update when it arrived so those problems might have been resolved before I setup the phone. Have you installed the OTA software update released around July 4? Repaired a camera issue, possibly your pull-down menu and a few other bugs. Your current version might read: v1.2 20200704.
Images
  • Umidigi A7Pro SoftwareUpdate  2020July4_b.JPG
Apr 8, 2020
116 posts
80 upvotes
So far Umidigi is good with updates , my A5 on android 9 got the update on July 15
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4296 posts
5708 upvotes
Vancouver
reefer123 wrote: So far Umidigi is good with updates , my A5 on android 9 got the update on July 15
...including Google's update w/hidden Covid-19 tracking software.....
Last edited by max011 on Jul 18th, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 23, 2019
143 posts
74 upvotes
Leafs Nation
reefer123 wrote: So far Umidigi is good with updates , my A5 on android 9 got the update on July 15
Mine, too. ^^
Jun 24, 2019
160 posts
152 upvotes
letitbso wrote: Responding to macal2oni's A7 Pro issues, that is a real bummer, you definitely received a dub. My A7 Pro has not experienced any of the same functioning issues you mention. I did immediately install the latest update when it arrived so those problems might have been resolved before I setup the phone. Have you installed the OTA software update released around July 4? Repaired a camera issue, possibly your pull-down menu and a few other bugs. Your current version might read: v1.2 20200704.
Did you scan your phone screen? Why is it black and white?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5135 posts
4703 upvotes
max011 wrote: ...including Google's update w/hidden Covid-19 tracking software.....
Oh please. The API is not hidden, and it's only available to apps that Google authorizes.

Crawl back into your hole.