Expired Hot Deals

[AliExpress] Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro 6 GB RAM / 128 GB Storage Global Version Android Phone for $305.47

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 2:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1084 posts
836 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
DevenP097 wrote: Just a FYI... this phone lacks alot of Canadian Bands; so your LTE coverage may suffer especially indoors.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-ch ... note-9-pro
The link you posted shows the results for the Indian Redmi Note 9 Pro first. Of course that would not be ideal for use in Canada. The global version, which is what I linked to in my original post, is the way to go for better compatibility here.
Dec 24, 2013
126 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GabbyWC wrote: The link you posted shows the results for the Indian Redmi Note 9 Pro first. Of course that would not be ideal for use in Canada. The global version is the way to go for better compatibility here.
It also shows the Global Version:

Lacks 12/13/17/29 which is Telus/Bell/Rogers Primary Band for Rural LTE & Multi-Band LTE+
Lacks 66 which is Freedom's Primary LTE Band; and 13 which is being deployed currently
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1084 posts
836 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
DevenP097 wrote: It also shows the Global Version:

Lacks 12/13/17/29 which is Telus/Bell/Rogers Primary Band for Rural LTE & Multi-Band LTE+
Lacks 66 which is Freedom's Primary LTE Band; and 13 which is being deployed currently
Yes, it's common knowledge around here that Xiaomi phones are not recommended for use with Freedom Mobile. The global versions of these phones work decently with other carriers in Canada. The North American LTE band support is not a major concern to me because I'm on a grandfathered Fido plan with an "unlimited mobile browsing" add-on which is unlimited 3G (HSPA+) data without speed throttling. Umidigi phones provide full North American LTE band support but their phones are generally of lower hardware quality than Xiaomi and receive fewer software updates.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2485 posts
1279 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DevenP097 wrote: It also shows the Global Version:

I live in the city and was with Public Mobile with only B4 available on a Redmi 5 Plus, and it was sufficient. I got my 3Mbps limited LTE speed everywhere I went, even when I only had 1 bar.
Now that I am on Fido with B4 and B7 full LTE. I get full bars pretty much everywhere I go.

Just did my first-ever random speed test with Fido just to show that these phones are good enough for most Canadians.

Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1084 posts
836 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
AsianXL wrote: I live in the city and was with Public Mobile with only B4 available on a Redmi 5 Plus, and it was sufficient. I got my 3Mbps limited LTE speed everywhere I went, even when I only had 1 bar.
Now that I am on Fido with B4 and B7 full LTE. I get full bars pretty much everywhere I go.

Just did my first-ever random speed test with Fido just to show that these phones are good enough for most Canadians.

Those are some impressive speeds. I usually don't get more than 8 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload speeds on Fido's 3G (HSPA+) network where I live but it's still good enough for most tasks and not having a usage limit or speed throttling is more important to me. Back when I lived in the Greater Toronto Area, my Redmi Note 5 was able to reach 3G download speeds that were closer to 21 Mbps.
Images
  • IMG_20200710_235238.jpg
Apr 14, 2016
38 posts
9 upvotes
I brought 284$ all in. Last week Still not shipped yet , will ship before july 17.
Lukus2017 wrote: Wow! I guess I bought it just at the right time. I paid $291, all in, just last week. SF shipping was around $3. I do expect the shipping to be extremely slow though. It hasn't shipped yet as the status says it will ship by July 17.
Sep 4, 2007
162 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
ApnaMTL wrote: I brought 284$ all in. Last week Still not shipped yet , will ship before july 17.
what's the seller link? Is this price still available?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1084 posts
836 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
As of today, my Redmi Note 9 Pro order tracking number is showing a status change in the Canada Post mobile app.

PROGRESS

"International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada." SGSINB

DETAILS

Tracking Number: LB#########SG
Shipping Service: International Inbound Express
Dec 27, 2012
103 posts
70 upvotes
WINDSOR
GabbyWC wrote: As of today, my Redmi Note 9 Pro order tracking number is showing a status change in the Canada Post mobile app.

PROGRESS

"International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada." SGSINB

DETAILS

Tracking Number: LB#########SG
Shipping Service: International Inbound Express
Today, I was also able to track my phone through Canada post for the first time. Now let's see how long it takes to get here.

July 12

11:53 am

International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada
Sgsinb, Singapore
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2485 posts
1279 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Looks like it's going thru SINGAPORE still. Same as my phone order from March. That still haven't been delivered but have received my refund from AE.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1542 posts
245 upvotes
So it seems like no one that ordered with free shipping has received their phones yet?

I'm using an app called Track 24 that gives an estimated arrival time (to Canada I assume) but even that arrival window changes from time to time.
Dec 27, 2012
103 posts
70 upvotes
WINDSOR
bobor wrote: So it seems like no one that ordered with free shipping has received their phones yet?

I'm using an app called Track 24 that gives an estimated arrival time (to Canada I assume) but even that arrival window changes from time to time.
Are you able to track through Canada post?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1542 posts
245 upvotes
lfc4ever wrote: Are you able to track through Canada post?
Yup, but it just shows the same thing: "left country of origination and en route to Canada"

I have a feeling all of our phones are on the same boat, lol, pardon the pun
Dec 27, 2012
103 posts
70 upvotes
WINDSOR
bobor wrote: Yup, but it just shows the same thing: "left country of origination and en route to Canada"

I have a feeling all of our phones are on the same boat, lol, pardon the pun
I think this is how our phones are coming to Canada.
Images
  • istockphoto-457289621-1024x1024.jpg
Jul 17, 2012
756 posts
333 upvotes
Kamloops
why does USA ban Huawei but not other Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Oneplus? so these have no security risk yeah? I am sony fan all the way but played with a oneplus for a little bit. cheap and good.
Mar 21, 2012
487 posts
380 upvotes
Edmonton
bobor wrote: So it seems like no one that ordered with free shipping has received their phones yet?

I certainly haven't received mine. I did however, just receive another order today that i placed on aliexpress over 4 months ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2485 posts
1279 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
muscleking wrote: why does USA ban Huawei but not other Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Oneplus? so these have no security risk yeah? I am sony fan all the way but played with a oneplus for a little bit. cheap and good.
The US is trying to protect its home base of US tech companies like Apple from Huawei from out-competing and dominating the tech industry. Also, Huawei has said it over and over again that they will not allow the US government to install backdoors in their hardware and software (namely 5G hardware) for spying purposes. While all other US and European-based tech companies have had their backs bent over in order to gain access to the US market for decades.

In contrary to popular belief, the Chinese government does not have backdoor access to the hardware and software of Chinese tech companies for spying purposes without a lawful court order.
Jan 21, 2017
335 posts
234 upvotes
Well this is a piss-off... Been waiting for 2 weeks to get a confirmation that my phone was shipped by DHGate as they kept saying it would be shipped by July 17. This morning a message was waiting in my account's mailbox...

Dear friend
Please noted that we can't send to your country as SF eParcel had a big obstruction for transition(SF eParcel is not available from now on).
In order not to delay your so long time
Could you kindly cancel this order with the reason "Items not now require"?
We could add a high quality of TPU as a compensation for you in your next order
please remain us like this,
Amy promise a TPU as a compensation.
Have a nice day!
Look forward to your respond!
Amy

They want me to cancel my order and re-order using DHL shipping. I had a $20 coupon that will no longer be applied and it will cost me more now.

Should I cancel or try to make them ship it via DHL at their expense? My total price was $290 and change.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
2538 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
AsianXL wrote: The US is trying to protect its home base of US tech companies like Apple from Huawei from out-competing and dominating the tech industry. Also, Huawei has said it over and over again that they will not allow the US government to install backdoors in their hardware and software (namely 5G hardware) for spying purposes. While all other US and European-based tech companies have had their backs bent over in order to gain access to the US market for decades.

In contrary to popular belief, the Chinese government does not have backdoor access to the hardware and software of Chinese tech companies for spying purposes without a lawful court order.
I don't know which lawful court order you are referring to but the Chinese government is the ultimate law in their country. They have power over everybody there, banks, tech companies, courts, etc. They have instituted a espionage and national security law where " EVERYBODY " is required to help the government. They may not have backdoor access but the people managing the businesses where the CCP wants info will have to hand over the information if the government ask them to.
Stuff for sale/trade/wtb
Computer Stuff
My Heatware
Ebay
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1323 posts
1799 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: The US is trying to protect its home base of US tech companies like Apple from Huawei from out-competing and dominating the tech industry. Also, Huawei has said it over and over again that they will not allow the US government to install backdoors in their hardware and software (namely 5G hardware) for spying purposes. While all other US and European-based tech companies have had their backs bent over in order to gain access to the US market for decades.

Since the CCP is the law and are an authoritarian regime there is effectively no judicial autonomy. The government can and will, do as they please.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)