Hot Deals

[ALIEXPRESS] Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S 6GB 128GB $303.41all in

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 5:29 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
b31770 wrote: Because people who buy these Chinese brands are too naive to care.
Hehe, right, and there are ZERO privacy issues that people are naive about with other brands?
Nov 22, 2012
923 posts
646 upvotes
VANCOUVER
repatch wrote: Hehe, right, and there are ZERO privacy issues that people are naive about with other brands?
I'm not saying it in a disrespectful way.

But to put it in a different perspective, if you had to give your child formula from China or from a Western county, which would you choose? Of course there are possible contamination risks from Western supplies, but there are DEFINITE risks from the Chinese supplies. More expensive isn't always better, but sometimes the Chinese option IS NOT even an option. Aka Xiaomi or Huawei devices.

Now your Xiaomi phone is a paperweight because you can't even trust what they're saying. As per their official account, you have to be in incognito mode to not send data to them? Do you trust what they're saying? Who the heck surfs in incognito mode? And where has all your banking and personal information been sent to and for what purpose?

If this happens in China, you'll get the little denial and slight correction, like in this case. But the data mining will go on with absolutely no recourse. Heck, I'd venture to say 98% of Xiaomi users will continue to use their device without deviation.

If Apple or Google attempted this shit, there would be hell to pay.
Nov 13, 2014
276 posts
172 upvotes
Westmount, QC
b31770 wrote: Because people who buy these Chinese brands are too naive to care.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

Every single company is tracking and spying on you. In the last two years people's data have been hacked from all the big companies like Google, Facebook and Apple who also tracks everything you do. The consumer always thinks he's safe until he learns that company "X" has been secretly gathering his data. They apologise and then just try to find a new way to do it all again.
Nov 22, 2012
923 posts
646 upvotes
VANCOUVER
theXshape wrote: Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

Every single company is tracking and spying on you. In the last two years people's data have been hacked from all the big companies like Google, Facebook and Apple who also tracks everything you do. The consumer always thinks he's safe until he learns that company "X" has been secretly gathering his data. They apologise and then just try to find a new way to do it all again.
Let's not confuse the issue at hand.

With technology, ALL tech companies have their hands in your pocket.

With Xiaomi, they just gave you a reach around and you're being sympathetic? Where's the outage or demands for an investigation?! Where's the boycott!?

But you're right. Every company is probably bad. But Xiaomi just confirmed the STEALING of your personal data for unknown reasons, but it's okay, because Google tracks you for advertisement purposes too.

Some attempted sarcasm was used.
Jun 21, 2009
966 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
b31770 wrote: Let's not confuse the issue at hand.

With Xiaomi, they just gave you a reach around and you're being sympathetic? Where's the outage or demands for an investigation?! Where's the boycott!?

But you're right. Every company is probably bad. But Xiaomi just confirmed the STEALING of your personal data for unknown reasons, but it's okay, because Google tracks you for advertisement purposes too.

To get this straight. The accusation against Xiaomi is that they are collecting browser data. There's no evidence they are sending the info to the Chinese government. Xiaomi has responded stating they collect the data anonymously and use it to observe aggregate trends, which may or may not be true.

It's also, as others have pointed out, data that all the major companies in NA collect.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes

Honestly, I think you should read up on the Snowden leaks to get a REAL understanding of how much your government is spying on you, you clearly are lacking in your knowledge of how much surveillance is being done (it's not just 'tracking for advertising purposes).

I'm not making an excuse for Xiaomi, they deserve the roasting, but to single out Chinese manufacturers and make it sound like you're WAY safer with others is simply foolish. You need to maintain vigilance with ALL manufacturers.
Nov 13, 2014
276 posts
172 upvotes
Westmount, QC

Xiaomi's being accused of collecting browser data from their own browser app and another one, even when you are in incognito mode (which in itself is not a big deal, as far as I know your ISP, company, etc knows what you are doing) My point being, you know Google is doing it for "advertisement purposes" and maybe that's all. Or maybe not.

As far as companies go, I believe they all spy on you. Xiaomi's just charging you less to do it then the others.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote: Can anyone comment about the display 480p stuff.. is it really that bad?
No idea what you're talking about.
Sep 4, 2007
155 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
I changed region to "Russia-Moscow-Moscow" , but I don't see the additional 18.73 USD off. How can I get this coupon?
Sep 24, 2015
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jronald wrote: What is the actual time I will have to wait for this phone? Its automatically picking DHL, does that mean I will be forced to pay duties? I am wondering if I should pull the trigger on this or just get the A71.
I ordered April 27 and received on May 3rd via DHL Shipping. Within a week is pretty astonishing regarding current events.
Import Duty and Tax is to be expected when shipping with DHL into Canada (6/128GB Model)
Total is $28.26 CAD.
Sep 24, 2015
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Drasco wrote: Placed my order April 23 for 128 GB model, still no update of shipping from Goldway seller.
I can comment that I ordered on the 27th and began receiving updates within 2 business days via the Aliexpress confirmation tracking.
DHL sent a SMS a few days later requesting confirmation through their portal to pay the Import Tax. I would have a look, and if there is truly no activity, file a support ticket with both ali and your cc company.
Apr 16, 2011
569 posts
113 upvotes
BJAMMIN wrote: I ordered April 27 and received on May 3rd via DHL Shipping. Within a week is pretty astonishing regarding current events.
Import Duty and Tax is to be expected when shipping with DHL into Canada (6/128GB Model)
Total is $28.26 CAD.
I really was going to order this phone. I figured the wait would be far too long so I pulled the trigger on the A71 for basically double the price. F.... if I knew it would have shipped that fast I would have ordered this phone especially since I ordered the A71 on Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped.
Aug 29, 2007
313 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
blankall wrote: I'm using the Xiaomi 9T, and absolutely love it. I had the XIaomi 6 before, which I put through the ringer. It eventually had to be replaced after I cracked the back glass, and then got water in it. Prior to my mishandling, it was a great phone.

With Xiaomi, you're basically getting a phone that's 6 months behind the flagship phones in terms of function for 30% of the price. From my perspective, you're much better off buying a Xiaomi and replacing it every 1.5-2 years (not because you will need to, but to stay current) than ever buying one of the big name flagships.

I used to be on the OnePlus bandwagon, but the price has gotten too prohibitive.

Would recommend this product.
Does it support fido's and freedom bands?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12194 posts
1694 upvotes
Kanata
sam_b_d wrote: Does it support fido's and freedom bands?
Fido, supports 2 of 3 (missing Band 17)
Freedom, supports 2 of 4 (missing band 13 and 66)

How important those bands are, depends on the coverage in the areas you are in.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1391 posts
191 upvotes
I ordered from Xiaomi Online Store and after having some dialogue with them about not having the right colour in stock, the phone finally shipped (status: departed country of origin.

This was free shipping and not through DHL.

Now the store is showing as "on vacation" and is closed for the time being.

Something to be concerned about?