Hot Deals

[ALIEXPRESS] Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S 6GB 128GB $303.41all in

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 5:29 pm
May 16, 2010
172 posts
148 upvotes
It was labour day in china May 1-5, so thry could be on vacation. FYI, free shipped items from feb are just arriving now. So expect 2-3 months of shipping.
Sep 9, 2007
7 posts
1 upvote
Montreal, Quebec
How's the camera on this thing? I'm on a Samsung a70 and quite disappointed with its camera.
Dec 26, 2007
91 posts
3 upvotes
goofball wrote: Fido, supports 2 of 3 (missing Band 17)
Freedom, supports 2 of 4 (missing band 13 and 66)

How important those bands are, depends on the coverage in the areas you are in.
Since this phone runs a Qualcomm chip, isn't it possible to unlock the missing bands? The 720G has all of them built in
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
realist123 wrote: Since this phone runs a Qualcomm chip, isn't it possible to unlock the missing bands? The 720G has all of them built in
You might be able to unlock it at the SOC level, but these phones don't have the PA or antenna for the 700MHz bands, so at best, it'll work on those bands very poorly.

B66 I guess could be possible, the phones support B4 and B66 is just a superset of B4.

Or, you know, you could just buy a phone with proper band support.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1398 posts
498 upvotes
I ordered mine on the april 27th... On may 6th they finally shipped it, but according the DHL tracking, its still
"Wednesday, May 06, 2020 Location Time Piece
1 Shipment information received HONG KONG - HONG KONG 15:39 "
So it hasn't actually moved anywhere... I think i'm gonna msg the seller tomorrow. Not sure what can be done if it really has already started to be shipped, but its pretty irritating i'll be paying ~$60cnd for shipping($35 for the DHL, then $25 upon receiving it for duties) and its going to take possibly a full month(or just be lost in the mail)

My credit card was charged on april 30th too...
Nov 3, 2018
166 posts
473 upvotes
b31770 wrote: I'm not saying it in a disrespectful way.

But to put it in a different perspective, if you had to give your child formula from China or from a Western county, which would you choose? Of course there are possible contamination risks from Western supplies, but there are DEFINITE risks from the Chinese supplies. More expensive isn't always better, but sometimes the Chinese option IS NOT even an option. Aka Xiaomi or Huawei devices.

Now your Xiaomi phone is a paperweight because you can't even trust what they're saying. As per their official account, you have to be in incognito mode to not send data to them? Do you trust what they're saying? Who the heck surfs in incognito mode? And where has all your banking and personal information been sent to and for what purpose?

If this happens in China, you'll get the little denial and slight correction, like in this case. But the data mining will go on with absolutely no recourse. Heck, I'd venture to say 98% of Xiaomi users will continue to use their device without deviation.

If Apple or Google attempted this shit, there would be hell to pay.
lol, no.

the MAJOR DIFFERENCE is that google and apple sells your data AND charges you up the butt to buy their products.

Xiaomi sells your data BUT charges you less for their products.
May 16, 2010
172 posts
148 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: I ordered mine on the april 27th... On may 6th they finally shipped it, but according the DHL tracking, its still
"Wednesday, May 06, 2020 Location Time Piece
1 Shipment information received HONG KONG - HONG KONG 15:39 "
So it hasn't actually moved anywhere... I think i'm gonna msg the seller tomorrow. Not sure what can be done if it really has already started to be shipped, but its pretty irritating i'll be paying ~$60cnd for shipping($35 for the DHL, then $25 upon receiving it for duties) and its going to take possibly a full month(or just be lost in the mail)

My credit card was charged on april 30th too...
FYI, DHL tracking is horribly broken at the moment. I didn't see any update on my item until I got the notice for the waybill on my door. It took about a week for me.
Apr 16, 2011
569 posts
113 upvotes
I want to post my experience for anyone who wants to get a Xiaomi phone. I used a Nexus 5 back in 2017 and then upgraded to a Redmi Note 5 Pro. I was/am on Koodo and noticed that while my signal outside was good, when I would go inside at work or inside my house the call quality and signal was terrible. I was deciding over the past few weeks whether to get the Redmi Note 9 or the A71. I chose the A71 only because I needed something ASAP and from my research the camera and video was a lot better. I have to say that my call quality and indoor signal has definitely improved, I would say drastically improved actually. I don't know how anyone else's experience was but I just wanted to share mine. The Redmi Note series is definitely one of the best bang for the buck phones but I do think that the missing bands hurt it a bit.
Dec 9, 2014
286 posts
192 upvotes
GTA
Does anyone know of any good android phone being sold on AliExpress that are less than 6” in the same price range?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
jronald wrote: I want to post my experience for anyone who wants to get a Xiaomi phone. I used a Nexus 5 back in 2017 and then upgraded to a Redmi Note 5 Pro. I was/am on Koodo and noticed that while my signal outside was good, when I would go inside at work or inside my house the call quality and signal was terrible. I was deciding over the past few weeks whether to get the Redmi Note 9 or the A71. I chose the A71 only because I needed something ASAP and from my research the camera and video was a lot better. I have to say that my call quality and indoor signal has definitely improved, I would say drastically improved actually. I don't know how anyone else's experience was but I just wanted to share mine. The Redmi Note series is definitely one of the best bang for the buck phones but I do think that the missing bands hurt it a bit.
That's a perfect example of where the lack of B12/13/17 can hurt you.

Good choice on the A71. Stick with phones that support the bands of your provider. You're paying for a network connection, why only plug yourself half way in?
Sep 24, 2015
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
KnobHillFarms wrote: Does anyone know of any good android phone being sold on AliExpress that are less than 6” in the same price range?
I received my Note 9s, and I so feel you on this. I came from an Essential Phone PH-1 that no one will repair for me reasonably (vs. device cost).
Would super appreciate good hardware in the sub 6" category. The big batteried available on Amazon option mentioned earlier in the thread didn't have much software support.

Bump - Also looking at options.
Dec 26, 2007
91 posts
3 upvotes
jronald wrote: I want to post my experience for anyone who wants to get a Xiaomi phone. I used a Nexus 5 back in 2017 and then upgraded to a Redmi Note 5 Pro. I was/am on Koodo and noticed that while my signal outside was good, when I would go inside at work or inside my house the call quality and signal was terrible. I was deciding over the past few weeks whether to get the Redmi Note 9 or the A71. I chose the A71 only because I needed something ASAP and from my research the camera and video was a lot better. I have to say that my call quality and indoor signal has definitely improved, I would say drastically improved actually. I don't know how anyone else's experience was but I just wanted to share mine. The Redmi Note series is definitely one of the best bang for the buck phones but I do think that the missing bands hurt it a bit.
I've been debating the exact same two phones. I currently have a LePro3, which was a steal of a deal 3 years ago. Still like phone, running Android 10 on Lineage OS, but the battery is not holding like it used to.

Do you find the A71 too big? That is my only concern before pulling the trigger.
Feb 28, 2008
955 posts
388 upvotes
Canada
If your phone really is a Redmi Note 5 Pro, that is the Indian market version and missing a lot of even the normal LTE bands for Canada. I got 3 of the international version, the Note 5 Dual AI - same codename whyred, but different radio and camera, and they all work better than my Pixel 2XL and Essential phone on Koodo/Telus when it comes to weak spots inside building and shopping centres. They're also durable af and none broken yet, whereas every single one of our previous phones would break twice a year.

I would consider Xiaomi phones again, as well as any phone, as long as there are custom roms available. Would never waste money on any phone with locked rom again.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1398 posts
498 upvotes
KnobHillFarms wrote: Does anyone know of any good android phone being sold on AliExpress that are less than 6” in the same price range?
Nope! And believe me, I looked. I'm using a Zuk z2, which as far as I can tell, was the only semi recent phone that isn't a Sony compact(read: stupid expensive and rare in Canada) that's 5". It's too old and it's battery is craping out, so I knew I had to replace it, and the redmi 9s was the best fit(I don't like the size at all, but everything else about it seemed perfect)

Quick Q for people who have this: I know the headphone out port isn't too great, so what bt codecs does it support? AptX and aac are the ones I'm most interested in.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

natexiao627