[ALIEXPRESS] Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S 6GB 128GB $303.41all in

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 4:21 am
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1059 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
xuanzh wrote: ok, one last question before I jump in this deal, how long does 9s battery last, better than A71? btw, is 9s supporting GMS and google services? thanks
Don't jump into this deal yet, especially when you're not sure of the capabilities of this phone and its limitations. At least do a search on its pros and cons, and then compare with your needs and your budget. Also take into account the long shipping time.

BTW, OP's link is more expensive than $280 here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000903634008.html.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1065 posts
816 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
tntdeal wrote: BTW, OP's link is more expensive than $280 here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000903634008.html.
This is one of the things that annoys me about most threads for AliExpress deals. The people who start them usually don't bother to update the links in the original post or expire the thread when prices change by a substantial amount.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5555 posts
5200 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote: This is one of the things that annoys me about most threads for AliExpress deals. The people who start them usually don't bother to update the links in the original post or expire the thread when prices change by a substantial amount.
Very few posters maintain their threads, doesn't just happen with Ali ones.

I agree on the 'annoying' bit.
Oct 28, 2015
614 posts
164 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
tntdeal wrote: Don't jump into this deal yet, especially when you're not sure of the capabilities of this phone and its limitations. At least do a search on its pros and cons, and then compare with your needs and your budget. Also take into account the long shipping time.

BTW, OP's link is more expensive than $280 here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000903634008.html.
How long will the shipping be? I can't wait 2 months just for a phone to arrive.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1059 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
xuanzh wrote: How long will the shipping be? I can't wait 2 months just for a phone to arrive.
To be not disappointed, don't expect it to arrive in less than 3 months with low shipping cost. Even DHL for $25 plus taxes/duties is often delayed these days. Read through the thread for other members' recent experiences.

If you can't wait and need a phone now, get a Moto G7 Play for $200, or Moto One Action (with Android One) for $300 at Costco. I think they had them on sale for $50 off last week, not sure now. The LG G8X is a higher end phone for just $500 also at Costco as well.
Jun 9, 2018
14 posts
34 upvotes
KnobHillFarms wrote: Does anyone know of any good android phone being sold on AliExpress that are less than 6” in the same price range?
The Sony Xperia Compact
Jun 3, 2010
19 posts
28 upvotes
Lethbridge, AB
What kind of service would I expect owning this phone outside of major cities in southern Alberta on Telus? It appears the phone is missing some 4G bands, but I don't know how important the bands its missing are.

Thanks for your help!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5555 posts
5200 upvotes
JesusCayferdo wrote: What kind of service would I expect owning this phone outside of major cities in southern Alberta on Telus? It appears the phone is missing some 4G bands, but I don't know how important the bands its missing are.

Thanks for your help!
Very important. This phone doesn't have any 700MHz bands, so outside of urban areas you'll be on B5 LTE most of the time (which is shared with 3G, but for data and voice calls), and is over-saturated.

If data matters for you, get a different phone. Lots of options out there.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1059 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
repatch wrote: Very important. This phone doesn't have any 700MHz bands, so outside of urban areas you'll be on B5 LTE most of the time (which is shared with 3G, but for data and voice calls), and is over-saturated.

I think it drops to 3G rather more frequent than B5 LTE. It works fine and not that saturated in out of urban areas. I think Belus' 700MHz bands are not as widely deployed as their 3G anyways.

Still, this phone's limitations indeed need to be taken into consideration though.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1151 posts
1568 upvotes
repatch wrote: Very important. This phone doesn't have any 700MHz bands, so outside of urban areas you'll be on B5 LTE most of the time (which is shared with 3G, but for data and voice calls), and is over-saturated.

The 4GB/64GB has been priced as low as $220 CAD all in. I've never seen other options even remotely close at this price. What am I overlooking?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5555 posts
5200 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: I think it drops to 3G rather more frequent than B5 LTE. It works fine and not that saturated in out of urban areas. I think Belus' 700MHz bands are not as widely deployed as their 3G anyways.

Still, this phone's limitations indeed need to be taken into consideration though.
I can't speak to where exactly you are speaking of, but in general Bellus has been VERY aggressive with deploying their 700MHz spectrum pretty much everywhere they can.

I've seen 700MHz coverage in areas far far away from built up areas, and as a result I rarely see B5 LTE connections, it's always B17 or B13 where I am.

I only see B5 LTE connections being used on my phone without 700MHz coverage, and the difference in performance is drastic.

But, I'll go with what I always say: you've paying good money for access to a cell network, why wouldn't you use a phone that takes FULL advantage of what that network offers? It's like buying a TV that only gets half the channels you are paying your cable company for.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1059 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
repatch wrote: I can't speak to where exactly you are speaking of, but in general Bellus has been VERY aggressive with deploying their 700MHz spectrum pretty much everywhere they can.

I've seen 700MHz coverage in areas far far away from built up areas, and as a result I rarely see B5 LTE connections, it's always B17 or B13 where I am.

I only see B5 LTE connections being used on my phone without 700MHz coverage, and the difference in performance is drastic.

But, I'll go with what I always say: you've paying good money for access to a cell network, why wouldn't you use a phone that takes FULL advantage of what that network offers? It's like buying a TV that only gets half the channels you are paying your cable company for.
What you said in bold proved that the 700MHz is not deployed as widely as the B5 LTE/850MHz 3G.

Agreed that it's better to take advantage of what being offered, when the cost is not too high. Buying this phone is still a good way to save some substantial amount of money in trade off of some limitations for some nice features. Considering the amount of interests in this phone, what you think as advantage doesn't seem to practically matter much. Also what would be your suggestion for alternatives in similar price range and features?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34190 posts
3911 upvotes
Winnipeg
6060842 wrote: The 4GB/64GB has been priced as low as $220 CAD all in. I've never seen other options even remotely close at this price. What am I overlooking?
You lose 2gb of ram, that is bigger deal than the 64gb.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5555 posts
5200 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: What you said in bold proved that the 700MHz is not deployed as widely as the B5 LTE/850MHz 3G.
I think you misunderstood my statement.

I have a phone without 700MHz bands (Nokia 8). As a result, it connects to B5 LTE when I'm in more rural areas.

My LG V35, which does have B12/13/17/29 connects onto B13 or B17 in the same spot.

As for recommendations: check out LG offerings (both the G and V series), amazing deals out there for fantastic phones that have been 'poisoned' value wise by the disaster that was the G4.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1065 posts
816 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
tntdeal wrote: Also what would be your suggestion for alternatives in similar price range and features?
The rumored OnePlus Z could be an excellent mid-range phone if the price is affordable. If I'm not mistaken, OnePlus phones are fully compatible with North American wireless bands.