Expired Hot Deals

[ALIEXPRESS] Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S 6GB 128GB $303.41all in

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 4:21 am
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
xuanzh wrote: Is it currently Costco having the best G8X price in whole canada?thx
The few places I checked, Costco has the best price for non-contract, $500 in store. If you have Koodo, they have it for about $85 less but on 2 years contract.

Another member suggested an unused LG V30 on ebay instead of the 9S: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-UNOPENDED-A ... 4576055900. Pretty good phone but old model and won't have many (if any) more updates. (Beware of other variants of the V30, most won't work well in Canada.)
Member
User avatar
Jan 13, 2005
449 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tntdeal wrote: The few places I checked, Costco has the best price for non-contract, $500 in store. If you have Koodo, they have it for about $85 less but on 2 years contract.

Another member suggested an unused LG V30 on ebay instead of the 9S: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-UNOPENDED-A ... 4576055900. Pretty good phone but old model and won't have many (if any) more updates. (Beware of other variants of the V30, most won't work well in Canada.)
Will this AT&T variant of the LG V30 work with Telus/Koodo network here?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13065 posts
1891 upvotes
Toronto
Will this be okay on the freedom network on toronto?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5432 posts
5026 upvotes
iverson wrote: Will this AT&T variant of the LG V30 work with Telus/Koodo network here?
It will work pretty well:

LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 20, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66

You're missing B13, not a huge deal since everywhere that has B13 will have B12. Does have B29 which is nice.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5432 posts
5026 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: Another member suggested an unused LG V30 on ebay instead of the 9S: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-UNOPENDED-A ... 4576055900. Pretty good phone but old model and won't have many (if any) more updates. (Beware of other variants of the V30, most won't work well in Canada.)

Umm, why? Ignoring FM:

H930 (Europe): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 28, 38, 71 - almost perfect for big 3
H931 (AT&T): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 20, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66 - pretty much perfect for big 3
H932 (T-Mobile): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 20, 28, 29, 40, 41, 66, 71 - pretty much perfect for big 3
H933 (Canada): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 29, 30, 66 - perfect for big3 and freedom (not suprising)
VS996 (Verizon): 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 20, 46, 66 - perfect for Freedom, pretty much perfect for big 3
US998 (US Cellular): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 25, 66 - perfect for Freedom, almost perfect for big 3
LS998U (Sprint): 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 41 - almost perfect for big3

pretty much perfect is because not full 700 band coverage (but it does have some, so good enough for most)
almost perfect is lack of B29 (which is used for CA to get more speed), most people wouldn't notice

Honestly, for the Big 3, I wouldn't hestitate on ANY of these models, they're all going to take advantage of the network pretty much to capacity.

For FM, yes, you have to be more careful, as usually.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
repatch wrote: Umm, why? Ignoring FM:

H930 (Europe): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 28, 38, 71 - almost perfect for big 3
H931 (AT&T): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 20, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66 - pretty much perfect for big 3
H932 (T-Mobile): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 20, 28, 29, 40, 41, 66, 71 - pretty much perfect for big 3
H933 (Canada): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 29, 30, 66 - perfect for big3 and freedom (not suprising)
VS996 (Verizon): 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 20, 46, 66 - perfect for Freedom, pretty much perfect for big 3
US998 (US Cellular): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 25, 66 - perfect for Freedom, almost perfect for big 3
LS998U (Sprint): 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 26, 41 - almost perfect for big3

pretty much perfect is because not full 700 band coverage (but it does have some, so good enough for most)
almost perfect is lack of B29 (which is used for CA to get more speed), most people wouldn't notice

Honestly, for the Big 3, I wouldn't hestitate on ANY of these models, they're all going to take advantage of the network pretty much to capacity.

For FM, yes, you have to be more careful, as usually.
Only the H931 and H930DS can be found unused unlocked, the latter can be confused with the H930 European. Used better be avoided for peace of mind (locked SIM and blacklisted IMEI).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5432 posts
5026 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: Only the H931 and H930DS can be found unused unlocked, the latter can be confused with the H930 European. Used better be avoided for peace of mind (locked SIM and blacklisted IMEI).
Not true, found some Verizon and US Cellular unlocked models after a quick search, they were expensive, but that's why you keep looking.

As for your fears on used, I feel they are overblown. If you receive a phone that's advertised as unlocked, and it isn't, you simply launch a complaint with eBay. Most of the time the seller will just refund you, sometimes they'll pay for you to ship the phone back, no big deal. If you buy from sellers with good volumes you won't encounter that problem.

Every phone I've purchased since my Motorola Milestone has been either 'refurbished' or simply 'used'. By being careful I've never had a problem. And I've saved a TON of money, buying last years flagships for 1/4 to 1/6th the original price.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1058 posts
450 upvotes
Canada
repatch wrote: Not true, found some Verizon and US Cellular unlocked models after a quick search, they were expensive, but that's why you keep looking.

As for your fears on used, I feel they are overblown. If you receive a phone that's advertised as unlocked, and it isn't, you simply launch a complaint with eBay. Most of the time the seller will just refund you, sometimes they'll pay for you to ship the phone back, no big deal. If you buy from sellers with good volumes you won't encounter that problem.

Every phone I've purchased since my Motorola Milestone has been either 'refurbished' or simply 'used'. By being careful I've never had a problem. And I've saved a TON of money, buying last years flagships for 1/4 to 1/6th the original price.
Yeah, rather too expensive that didn't catch my eyes, may as well don't exist.
I wouldn't mind buying used myself but not something I'd recommend to someone who needs advice.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4908 posts
940 upvotes
Montreal


It sports an above average camera for a 300 CAD phone which is not bad at all.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33742 posts
19518 upvotes
Ottawa
repatch wrote: Not true, found some Verizon and US Cellular unlocked models after a quick search, they were expensive, but that's why you keep looking.

As for your fears on used, I feel they are overblown. If you receive a phone that's advertised as unlocked, and it isn't, you simply launch a complaint with eBay. Most of the time the seller will just refund you, sometimes they'll pay for you to ship the phone back, no big deal. If you buy from sellers with good volumes you won't encounter that problem.

Every phone I've purchased since my Motorola Milestone has been either 'refurbished' or simply 'used'. By being careful I've never had a problem. And I've saved a TON of money, buying last years flagships for 1/4 to 1/6th the original price.
It's pretty obvious you have something against Xiaomi and with the utmost respect, I think it's time you move on.
I was previously a religious Samsung Note user and switched to Xiaomi and couldn't be happier.

I also use an iPhone X as a secondary phone and it doesn't wow me in any way, other than having the better camera.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5432 posts
5026 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: It's pretty obvious you have something against Xiaomi and with the utmost respect, I think it's time you move on.
I was previously a religious Samsung Note user and switched to Xiaomi and couldn't be happier.

I also use an iPhone X as a secondary phone and it doesn't wow me in any way, other than having the better camera.

There's a danger in assuming motivation without sufficient evidence.

The only thing I have 'against' Xiaomi is, well, nothing. I purchased a Xiaomi phone before it became a sort of 'mainstream' thing in Canada. My last Xiaomi phone was a Note 4 and loved it (used it for a few weeks while my LG G5 was in for service evaluation).

What I DO have something 'against' is people getting phones without proper LTE band support for their carrier. If you don't care about LTE data then Xiaomi phones are fantastic, both for value, and for build quality.

If you DO care about LTE data, it used to be that Xiaomi was pretty much the only choice at those price points. For the price of Xiaomi phones there were pretty much no better options.

These days? Lots of better options, both in the camera department (although Xiaomi has made lots of progress there), but most importantly the LTE band support. Xiaomi phones don't have 700Mhz bands, at all. So for the big3 networks you are missing out on in building coverage, fringe/rural coverage, and CA with the 700Mhz band (gives you more bandwidth in built up areas.

For FM? Xiaomi phones are even worse in they don't support B13 nor B66, making them basically useless if you expect anything but a rubbish data experience on FM.

Get the wrong Xiaomi phone version (non global) and you won't even have B4 LTE, meaning you're phone will rarely get an LTE connection in NA.

Time for me to move on?

No. Reason? EVERY phone thread someone asks about 'will this work well on FM', and invariably someone points to one of those horrible 'compatibility' sites which claim yes, but don't tell you the whole story (or are just plain wrong in some cases). Or people pipe up with 'I don't have those bands, and I've never noticed'.

I want people to have the whole story.

Sorry that bugs you so much, and I'm happy you're happy with your phone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33742 posts
19518 upvotes
Ottawa
repatch wrote: There's a danger in assuming motivation without sufficient evidence.

The only thing I have 'against' Xiaomi is, well, nothing. I purchased a Xiaomi phone before it became a sort of 'mainstream' thing in Canada. My last Xiaomi phone was a Note 4 and loved it (used it for a few weeks while my LG G5 was in for service evaluation).

What I DO have something 'against' is people getting phones without proper LTE band support for their carrier. If you don't care about LTE data then Xiaomi phones are fantastic, both for value, and for build quality.

If you DO care about LTE data, it used to be that Xiaomi was pretty much the only choice at those price points. For the price of Xiaomi phones there were pretty much no better options.

These days? Lots of better options, both in the camera department (although Xiaomi has made lots of progress there), but most importantly the LTE band support. Xiaomi phones don't have 700Mhz bands, at all. So for the big3 networks you are missing out on in building coverage, fringe/rural coverage, and CA with the 700Mhz band (gives you more bandwidth in built up areas.

For FM? Xiaomi phones are even worse in they don't support B13 nor B66, making them basically useless if you expect anything but a rubbish data experience on FM.

Get the wrong Xiaomi phone version (non global) and you won't even have B4 LTE, meaning you're phone will rarely get an LTE connection in NA.

Time for me to move on?

No. Reason? EVERY phone thread someone asks about 'will this work well on FM', and invariably someone points to one of those horrible 'compatibility' sites which claim yes, but don't tell you the whole story (or are just plain wrong in some cases). Or people pipe up with 'I don't have those bands, and I've never noticed'.

I want people to have the whole story.

Sorry that bugs you so much, and I'm happy you're happy with your phone.
You're in hear telling potential buyers to look at a used phone, when this brand spanking new.
You also mentioned to be cautious about no after sales warranty, yet the used phone from eBay has none either... come on man.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1022 posts
479 upvotes
kwong14 wrote: topcashback didn't work and can't file a missing claim for aliexpress....
Did you confirm that you receieved the item on aliexpress??

if you did not thats probably why.
(or at times aliexpress cashback is down, there is a trick in order to get it however you would need to have some sort of issue with the phone and get the seller to agree to a partial refund, by doing so it would update the cashback rebate again..)
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1022 posts
479 upvotes
repatch wrote: Already there, Umidigi has several models that support all the NA bands, even B66.
Absolutely but umdiigi is NOT in the same league as xiaomi,
unfortuntely i highly recommend you avoid umidigi completly..
there quality control is the worst. and dont expect much updates.

Top