Expired Hot Deals

[ALIEXPRESS] Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S 6GB 128GB $303.41all in

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 9:54 am
Aug 24, 2006
987 posts
447 upvotes
repatch wrote: Already there, Umidigi has several models that support all the NA bands, even B66.
Absolutely but umdiigi is NOT in the same league as xiaomi,
unfortuntely i highly recommend you avoid umidigi completly..
there quality control is the worst. and dont expect much updates.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1432 posts
548 upvotes
bryceton wrote: Absolutely but umdiigi is NOT in the same league as xiaomi,
The 9s is going to be a good phone for 4+ years because its going to have independent rom support from modders. That isnt the case with most other chinese based phones(or even korean ones, since they lock down the bootloader)
If you're on RFD cause you're cheap(and lets be honest, we are. We want to get the best value for our dollar), you'll want something that will be updated for years, because in all likelihood software will be the first thing that'll force you to update. Even a bad battery or a cracked screen can be limped through for a few years, if the OS is kept up to date. That isnt the case if you're stuck on, say, marshmallow in 2020.
Even if Xiaomi drops support after 2 updates, theres still going to be a bunch of people working on roms probably till 2025.
I bought my last phone(zuk Z2) cause of that. Low and behold, it was one of the first phones to get android 11... from Lenovo? Nope, lineage modders, cause its using a common chip(SD820) on an unlocked platform with a bunch of users to make doing the port worth it. That'll be the case with the 9s. That definitely WONT be the case with the sketchier brands like umidigital or doogee or possibly realme.
Feb 2, 2012
83 posts
17 upvotes
Burnaby
Topcashback is known to be scamming people out of paying for AliExpress orders. Happened twice to me.
Mar 31, 2020
3 posts
Bought xaomi redmi note4 and it didn't work on canadian networks. Tested Koodo n rogers.
Aug 24, 2006
987 posts
447 upvotes
Pkaraa wrote: Bought xaomi redmi note4 and it didn't work on canadian networks. Tested Koodo n rogers.
Redmi note 4 is super old, but it definitely does work on Rogers, however I believe it doesn't have full 2g band support for Canada so depending on your area that may be an issue.
3g works fine and 4g wasn't out or popular at the time.
my guess is you had to update the APN..
Jun 16, 2017
83 posts
9 upvotes
trixstar wrote: ↑
Will this be okay on the freedom network on toronto?
No.

Works fine for me
Nov 5, 2018
234 posts
188 upvotes
bryceton wrote: Redmi note 4 is super old, but it definitely does work on Rogers, however I believe it doesn't have full 2g band support for Canada so depending on your area that may be an issue.
3g works fine and 4g wasn't out or popular at the time.
my guess is you had to update the APN..
I had the note 4 pro for two years until I cracked the phone.. worked beautifully on public mobile .. the Telus network
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5126 posts
4690 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: You're in hear telling potential buyers to look at a used phone, when this brand spanking new.
You also mentioned to be cautious about no after sales warranty, yet the used phone from eBay has none either... come on man.
What?

No. I recommended BRAND NEW alternatives, and simply pointed out that you can't expect anything other than DOA warranty from AE (because any 'warranty' an AE seller offers means shipping the phone back to China, which is a large portion of the value of the phone, making it worthless) or eBay.

I later suggested used if people were open to that.

Perhaps you should read my responses in timeline order to understand the progression of my responses.

FWIW, the Umidigi A7 Pro (fantastic band coverage) is available on Amazon right now...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5126 posts
4690 upvotes
bryceton wrote: Absolutely but umdiigi is NOT in the same league as xiaomi,
Back when I bought my first Xiaomi phone the same complaints were being made (comparing to more well known brands). With the Note 4, Xiaomi was a bit of a lottery in the camera department, on buying the phone you had no idea which module you get. Some got the excellent Sony. Some got the decent Samsung (what I got). And some got a third one which was rubbish.

Now Xiaomi is generally trusted to be a good brand.

Other Chinese phones are on the same path. Umidigi is now entering the 'stable' period IMHO. Yes, earlier versions certainly had quality control issues, but the latest models seem alot better in that way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5126 posts
4690 upvotes
Pkaraa wrote: Bought xaomi redmi note4 and it didn't work on canadian networks. Tested Koodo n rogers.
The global version note 4 worked fine (without 700MHz bands of course).

The global ROM version (which was actually the Chinese version cross flashed by the seller, with a ton of bloat probably added), only had LTE B7, so pretty rotten coverage.

What probably happened is you either had the Chinese version, and/or didn't set the APN (the earlier Xiaomi phones didn't have Canadian carriers in the ROM so you had to manually add the APN info).
Aug 24, 2006
987 posts
447 upvotes
repatch wrote: Back when I bought my first Xiaomi phone the same complaints were being made (comparing to more well known brands). With the Note 4, Xiaomi was a bit of a lottery in the camera department, on buying the phone you had no idea which module you get. Some got the excellent Sony. Some got the decent Samsung (what I got). And some got a third one which was rubbish.

Now Xiaomi is generally trusted to be a good brand.

Other Chinese phones are on the same path. Umidigi is now entering the 'stable' period IMHO. Yes, earlier versions certainly had quality control issues, but the latest models seem alot better in that way.
Definitely not.
I tried umidigi A5 pro had touch issues only tried it for a day however.
then I got umidigi f2 which is one of there high end phones... Dealing with Randomly no sound, microphone sometimes not working. random standby overheating causing big battery drain.
also my finger print button caused a crack on my phone within a month of use with limited usage (and so did many others) all these issues are with a phone I had for about 5 months!
The difference between Xiaomi and umidigi is umidigi doesn't make phones
they have two low end manufactures they deal with one is called droi and I think the other is like a1 or something like that. if your model is made by Droi it's usually very badly built phones.. unfortunately there's no way to know for umidigi preorder sales..
that's why some phones by umidigi are good and others have so much issues

Edit: just for reference I took phone off charger at 7 am it's now 8:30 am and half that time I didn't use it at all.. it was at 100% and now I'm at 75% yup gotta charge it twice a day even though battery is 5000+ mAH..
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1056 posts
447 upvotes
Canada
repatch wrote: There's a danger in assuming motivation without sufficient evidence.

Xiaomi phones don't have 700Mhz bands, at all.
At all? Plenty of them have it: Mi 8/Pro, 9/Pro, 10/Pro, Mix 2/2s/3. None has B66 but some do B13.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5126 posts
4690 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: At all? Plenty of them have it: Mi 8/Pro, 9/Pro, 10/Pro, Mix 2/2s/3. None has B66 but some do B13.
True, my bad.

The phones most commonly spoken of don't. You usually have to get pretty pricey before you see 700MHz bands with Xiaomi.
Oct 29, 2014
963 posts
714 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
repatch wrote: There's a danger in assuming motivation without sufficient evidence.

The only thing I have 'against' Xiaomi is, well, nothing. I purchased a Xiaomi phone before it became a sort of 'mainstream' thing in Canada. My last Xiaomi phone was a Note 4 and loved it (used it for a few weeks while my LG G5 was in for service evaluation).

What I DO have something 'against' is people getting phones without proper LTE band support for their carrier. If you don't care about LTE data then Xiaomi phones are fantastic, both for value, and for build quality.

If you DO care about LTE data, it used to be that Xiaomi was pretty much the only choice at those price points. For the price of Xiaomi phones there were pretty much no better options.

These days? Lots of better options, both in the camera department (although Xiaomi has made lots of progress there), but most importantly the LTE band support. Xiaomi phones don't have 700Mhz bands, at all. So for the big3 networks you are missing out on in building coverage, fringe/rural coverage, and CA with the 700Mhz band (gives you more bandwidth in built up areas.

For FM? Xiaomi phones are even worse in they don't support B13 nor B66, making them basically useless if you expect anything but a rubbish data experience on FM.

Get the wrong Xiaomi phone version (non global) and you won't even have B4 LTE, meaning you're phone will rarely get an LTE connection in NA.

Time for me to move on?

No. Reason? EVERY phone thread someone asks about 'will this work well on FM', and invariably someone points to one of those horrible 'compatibility' sites which claim yes, but don't tell you the whole story (or are just plain wrong in some cases). Or people pipe up with 'I don't have those bands, and I've never noticed'.

I want people to have the whole story.

Sorry that bugs you so much, and I'm happy you're happy with your phone.
Hey, repatch, I have a question for you. The Fido cellular plan that I've had for many years includes a grandfathered "unlimited mobile browsing" add-on which provides unlimited data at 3G (HSPA+) speeds with no throttling. I got the plan before I had a smartphone and managed to carry it over when buying Android phones outright and using the same SIM card. At one point, I switched to a Fido LTE SIM card for future-proofing but it doesn't give me LTE data speeds which is not necessarily a surprise because I kept the same plan. I currently use a Redmi Note 5 global version and will switch to a Redmi Note 9 Pro global version when my AliExpress order arrives in the next month or two. Considering that Xiaomi phones provide full 3G band support for Fido, would having better LTE band support result in any benefit to me? I prefer Xiaomi phones for their features, price and custom ROM support so I won't be switching to another brand but I'd like to know your opinion about my unlimited 3G data plan on the Fido network with Xiaomi phones.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5126 posts
4690 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote: Hey, repatch, I have a question for you. The Fido cellular plan that I've had for many years includes a grandfathered "unlimited mobile browsing" add-on which provides unlimited data at 3G (HSPA+) speeds with no throttling. I got the plan before I had a smartphone and managed to carry it over when buying Android phones outright and using the same SIM card. At one point, I switched to a Fido LTE SIM card for future-proofing but it doesn't give me LTE data speeds which is not necessarily a surprise because I kept the same plan. I currently use a Redmi Note 5 global version and will switch to a Redmi Note 9 Pro global version when my AliExpress order arrives in the next month or two. Considering that Xiaomi phones provide full 3G band support for Fido, would having better LTE band support result in any benefit to me? I prefer Xiaomi phones for their features, price and custom ROM support so I won't be switching to another brand but I'd like to know your opinion about my unlimited 3G data plan on the Fido network with Xiaomi phones.
Wow! NEVER give up that plan. I was SO ready for you to say you lost it when you got the LTE SIM...

No, LTE support, for you, is pointless. I have a prepaid Fido SIM that also never gets LTE. Fido's policy there is prepaid plans, without a data addon, stay with 3G (for pay per use).

In your case Xiaomi phones are fine since they support both 3G bands (B2 and B5).