• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2021 5:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18845 posts
2118 upvotes

All 2021 Warner Bros Movies Free On HBO Max

Covid really did a number on theatrical releases.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/every-2021-warn ... 1845800868
Today the studio behind some of the biggest blockbusters in the world has announced that its entire 2021 movie slate will follow the model being established by Wonder Woman 1984 on Christmas day. Warner’s films will launch in theaters and on-demand on HBO Max simultaneously, available in 4K HDR and free to subscribers in the U.S. for one month, before continuing their theatrical runs domestically and internationally (as with Wonder Woman, no details about a similar limited window has been confirmed for international markets, just that they will continue to receive standard theatrical releases).

This includes massive titles, such as Dune, The Matrix 4, and more—a list of the studio’s releases is below:

• The Little Things (January 29, 2021)
  • Tom & Jerry (March 5, 2021)
  • The Many Saints of Newark (March 12, 2021)
  • Reminiscence (April 16, 2021)
  • Godzilla vs. Kong (May 21, 2021)
  • The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4, 2021)
  • In the Heights (June 18, 2021)
  • Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16, 2021)
  • The Suicide Squad (August 6, 2021)
  • Dune (October 1, 2021)
  • Elvis (November 5, 2021)
  • King Richard (November 19, 2021)
  • The Matrix 4 (December 22, 2021)
  • Sherlock Holmes 3 (December 22, 2021)
  • Judas and the Black Messiah (TBA 2021)
  • MACRO (TBA 2021)
  • Malignant (TBA 2021)
  • Mortal Kombat (TBA 2021)
Last edited by Haz on Dec 3rd, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
49 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2452 posts
1040 upvotes
Montreal, QC
And now we wait to see when it'll be available on Crave
Jan 13, 2013
173 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
As far as I understand it Crave only supports up to 1080p. Even if they come to Canada what are the odds we'll get the 4K treatment too?

I find it ridiculous Crave+HBO costs so much and still stuck on 1080p with 2 simultaneous streams.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5925 posts
2877 upvotes
Global Village
It's the right business decision by Warner but it's a death blow for the movie theatre biz.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4644 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
So, are we all going to start subscribing to Crave? And will Disney follow suit?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9251 posts
1322 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Cinemas will really be the hardest hit by this. Consumers will either decide to go for the service or to pirate so little will change on their end. A $15USD/mo HBO Max subscription is still cheaper than a $15 movie ticket, especially if you have a family so it was always more about the experience than the financials for cinema consumers.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3703 posts
20723 upvotes
I think I heard something about this on radio that it will be released 7 or 17 days after theatre release.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18845 posts
2118 upvotes
markopas wrote: I think I heard something about this on radio that it will be released 7 or 17 days after theatre release.
It says same day in the official Twitter post in the OP.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3703 posts
20723 upvotes
Haz wrote: It says same day in the official Twitter post in the OP.
That’s US I’m referring to Canada.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2011
1202 posts
713 upvotes
markopas wrote: I think I heard something about this on radio that it will be released 7 or 17 days after theatre release.
markopas wrote: That’s US I’m referring to Canada.
“As with Wonder Woman 1984, Warner Bros. has decided that in the United States, these films will be released in both theatres and on HBO Max (for a limited period of time). The concurrent window on HBO Max is restricted solely to the United States. Warner Bros. is not making such a window available in any other territory, including Canada.

While these movies will be released initially in theatres in Canada, they will be coming to Crave following their standard theatrical windows.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10046 posts
2009 upvotes
Victoria
elfen2 wrote: “As with Wonder Woman 1984, Warner Bros. has decided that in the United States, these films will be released in both theatres and on HBO Max (for a limited period of time). The concurrent window on HBO Max is restricted solely to the United States. Warner Bros. is not making such a window available in any other territory, including Canada.

While these movies will be released initially in theatres in Canada, they will be coming to Crave following their standard theatrical windows.
That's a weird move. I'd pay for HBO max to watch them legit, but if the choice is go to a theatre during a pandemic, or watch it via grey area of the internet........ I feel like it's dangerous enough to put things out digital first thing because of piracy, but to put them out, and not even offer an option to watch at home.. that's odd.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18845 posts
2118 upvotes
zod wrote: That's a weird move. I'd pay for HBO max to watch them legit, but if the choice is go to a theatre during a pandemic, or watch it via grey area of the internet........ I feel like it's dangerous enough to put things out digital first thing because of piracy, but to put them out, and not even offer an option to watch at home.. that's odd.
It may be because of some push back from distributors, much like how AMC is reacting to the news.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc- ... 234845908/
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Jan 20, 2010
64 posts
202 upvotes
Markham
Signing up for HBO Max in very easy in Canada using the VPN can’t wait for Christmas Day WW84
Most Canadian have done this step since GOT SESAON 5 premiered
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10046 posts
2009 upvotes
Victoria
itech92 wrote: Signing up for HBO Max in very easy in Canada using the VPN can’t wait for Christmas Day WW84
Most Canadian have done this step since GOT SESAON 5 premiered
yah but using a VPN to circumvent geographic restricted copyrights isn't any more/less illegal than downloading it? When people are given a choice are they going to go through the effort of signing up via a VPN or just download it?

To me if you're going to go in on the digital, you need to sell it globally, or it's really going to incentivize piracy in all the countries you aren't selling it? Not offering any option to sell it to people outside of the US would seem to leave a bunch of money on the table. Personally, I feel it's odd for me support geographic copyright restrictions. I really do find it annoying.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12086 posts
2231 upvotes
Mississauga
dark2026 wrote: As far as I understand it Crave only supports up to 1080p. Even if they come to Canada what are the odds we'll get the 4K treatment too?

I find it ridiculous Crave+HBO costs so much and still stuck on 1080p with 2 simultaneous streams.
HBO Max is only available in 1080p as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10046 posts
2009 upvotes
Victoria
Haz wrote: It may be because of some push back from distributors, much like how AMC is reacting to the news.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc- ... 234845908/
It's a tough position to be sure. By the time it's safe to go back to theatre's, there's going to be a backlog of almost 2 years worth of movies (plus whatever would of normally come out that year). If studios don't use other avenues to put out their movies, their movies could get lost in glut of movies that all want to release as soon as covid ends.

I cant see why some studios are trying to get some of these movies out via other means, but I can also see why theatres don't like it (they rely on the flicks).

Simultaneous Theatre/Digital release during Covid19, and a return to the old theatrical window when it's done, seems like a reasonable compromise. Make it temporary kind of thing. Once Covid ends, all flicks go back to the exclusive theatrical window (which is where both theaters and studios make the bulk of their $$.
Nov 15, 2020
799 posts
448 upvotes
I wonder if Disney will force Black Widow to "put out", sort to speak.
Nov 13, 2014
477 posts
457 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Talamasca wrote: HBO Max is only available in 1080p as well.
Starting with Wonder Woman 1984, they will start releasing content in 4k HDR, and it's safe to assume they will also start updating their library to 4k for available titles (such as GoT)