All hail the SPICY Big Mary!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 9:30 pm
Tags:
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes

All hail the SPICY Big Mary!!

So I was at Mary Brown's grabbing the Monday special big Mary sandwich and was offered to try the Spicy Big Mary and I took it. WOW! there's a new winner for the spiciest fast food chicken sandwich. It was awesome. Regret only getting one. I also spotted a Mary Brown in a Walmart!! They closed down the Mc Donalds at the Weston Rd and Marjor Mac location in Vaughan and replaced it with a Mary Brown's!
spicy-big-mary-at-mary-browns-1-max.jpg
30 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hmm it wasn't that spicy......
MJISGOAT wrote: So I was at Mary Brown's grabbing the Monday special big Mary sandwich and was offered to try the Spicy Big Mary and I took it. WOW! there's a new winner for the spiciest fast food chicken sandwich. It was awesome. Regret only getting one. I also spotted a Mary Brown in a Walmart!! They closed down the Mc Donalds at the Weston Rd and Marjor Mac location in Vaughan and replaced it with a Mary Brown's!

spicy-big-mary-at-mary-browns-1-max.jpg

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Hmm it wasn't that spicy......
It wasn't killer spicy but definitely spicier than other competitors. Their spice is in the marinade and sauce as well. Loved the crunchy pickles too!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
I wanna try this, but I live in downtown Toronto. Every friggin' Mary Brown is in boonieville in the GTA.
Mar 16, 2009
176 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: I wanna try this, but I live in downtown Toronto. Every friggin' Mary Brown is in boonieville in the GTA.
Found the downtown elitist completely out of touch with the mainstream suburban majority.
Jun 4, 2006
739 posts
448 upvotes
Brampton | Vaughan
I just tried it, I found it spicy enough that my nose was running.

Excellent sandwich.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
Won't be buying/trying as there's no Mary Brown's near me, probably too expensive and I'm getting way more chicken with Popeye's than I can handle right now. Maybe after hockey season.

Thanks.

PS what's the price of this sandwich?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Won't be buying/trying as there's no Mary Brown's near me, probably too expensive and I'm getting way more chicken with Popeye's than I can handle right now. Maybe after hockey season.

Thanks.

PS what's the price of this sandwich?
Go on a Monday.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
jflex wrote: Found the downtown elitist completely out of touch with the mainstream suburban majority.
I mean he's not wrong though. They don't even have any locations in any of the outskirt GTA suburbs like North York, Scarborough, Pickering, Etobicoke etc. I live in the north end of the GTA the closest one to me is in Aurora a good 30 minute drive north on the 404. Not opening locations in the downtown core is fair but how good is your business really if you can't even open and sustain a location in Scarborough, North York etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
deep wrote: Stopped eating there when they scaled down the Mary and changed the buns. Shame, it used to be the best fast food chicken sammich.
Thanks for this!

I pointed out the sudden drop in Mary Brown's quality 11 months ago and nobody believed me... surely I wasn't the only one to notice a problem:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/restaur ... #p30787050

A bad chicken sandwich slathered with spicy sauce is still a bad chicken sandwich. Just like how all the McSushi places use up their rotten fish in "spicy" rolls since you can't use rotten fish in nigiri or sashimi...
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
ReeGee wrote: I mean he's not wrong though. They don't even have any locations in any of the outskirt GTA suburbs like North York, Scarborough, Pickering, Etobicoke etc. I live in the north end of the GTA the closest one to me is in Aurora a good 30 minute drive north on the 404. Not opening locations in the downtown core is fair but how good is your business really if you can't even open and sustain a location in Scarborough, North York etc.
Closest one to city is on Dufferin near Yorkdale. I've been there once and won't go back as I think they served me twice or maybe thrice fried chicken and taters.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Closest one to city is on Dufferin near Yorkdale. I've been there once and won't go back as I think they served me twice or maybe thrice fried chicken and taters.
I stand corrected and just noticed they opened a couple Scarborough locations at some point as well as Yorkdale. Still not really conveniently located for me but maybe I'll give it a try if I'm in the area and remember
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I mean he's not wrong though. They don't even have any locations in any of the outskirt GTA suburbs like North York, Scarborough, Pickering, Etobicoke etc
Mary Browns has been in Pickering for awhile now. It's on Kingston Rd east of Whites next to a Starbucks.

https://marybrowns.com/locations/

Two locations in Scarborough, 1 in Pickering, 1 in Ajax, 1 in North York....

When MB expanded nationwide their target market was transplanted Newfoundlanders and Maritimers since it is a "taste of home" to them. So why wouldn't they be all over the 416 as well as the 905? The halal hijacking of the chain was a later phenomenon...
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Mar 4th, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Did you try it before March 1st...?

The old Spicy Big Mary only had spicy mayo.

This new Spicy Big Mary is doused in hot sauce before they add the spicy mayo.

We unknowingly ordered new Spicy Big Marys this Monday... I love spicy so I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's about the same spice level as the Wendy's Spicy Chicken... Maybe a little hotter.

My wife, on the other hand, couldn't eat hers.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
yep
superfresh89 wrote: Did you try it before March 1st...?

The old Spicy Big Mary only had spicy mayo.

This new Spicy Big Mary is doused in hot sauce before they add the spicy mayo.

We unknowingly ordered new Spicy Big Marys this Monday... I love spicy so I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's about the same spice level as the Wendy's Spicy Chicken... Maybe a little hotter.

My wife, on the other hand, couldn't eat hers.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
superfresh89 wrote: We unknowingly ordered new Spicy Big Marys this Monday... I love spicy so I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's about the same spice level as the Wendy's Spicy Chicken... Maybe a little hotter.
I like the idea of coating it in hot sauce as well as the mayo (which always seemed variable in terms of heat, I figured it must be mixed by hand in-store). I'll have to try one, I didn't realize they had changed. They were always good, though.

But I don't think I've ever had an actually spicy spicy chicken from Wendy's. It's always been more of a gentle peppery tingle.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Skadefryd wrote: I like the idea of coating it in hot sauce as well as the mayo (which always seemed variable in terms of heat, I figured it must be mixed by hand in-store). I'll have to try one, I didn't realize they had changed. They were always good, though.

But I don't think I've ever had an actually spicy spicy chicken from Wendy's. It's always been more of a gentle peppery tingle.
You're probably right... My wife can eat Wendy's Spicy Chicken but not the new Mary
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
Tried Mary browns for the first time today, and I must say, I prefer the spicy big mary over the chic fil a spicy chicken sandwich (which was my favourite chicken sandwich). The only time I tried chic fil a was back in January in California. I passed by the Yorkdale chic fil a, and I'm not interested in waiting in line for that. Now I got to try the actual chicken. For me, the spicy big Mary had a good amount of spice. Meaning its not making my nose run, and I'm not sweating, or reaching for water.

fyi, yes I know this thread is several months old.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
phuviano wrote: Tried Mary browns for the first time today, and I must say, I prefer the spicy big mary over the chic fil a spicy chicken sandwich (which was my favourite chicken sandwich). The only time I tried chic fil a was back in January in California. I passed by the Yorkdale chic fil a, and I'm not interested in waiting in line for that. Now I got to try the actual chicken. For me, the spicy big Mary had a good amount of spice. Meaning its not making my nose run, and I'm not sweating, or reaching for water.

fyi, yes I know this thread is several months old.
Interesting. I may have to try!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)