All Inclusive - Hurricane hitting

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2018 12:28 am
[OP]
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes

All Inclusive - Hurricane hitting

Just a question Air Canada vacations close today but I leave tomorrow to Cuba and just realize a category 4 will be hitting cayo coco Saturday. Does Air Canada just evacuate us out a day before? Is that how it usually works ?
62 replies
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3618 posts
3493 upvotes
Montreal
I don't think so, unless you want to return earlier and book the return flight on Friday (assume the Hurricane will hit Cuba on Saturday) as they don't know that you want to return earlier or want to enjoy / experiment hurricane in Cuba.

Most of airlines will waive the change fee if you want to return earlier for hurricane reason.

https://www.voyagereport.com/news/irma- ... ed-states/

If you're sure the hurricane will hit Cuba in the next few days then why don't cancel the vacation and ask Air Canada if they will give you full refund.
A full refund, however, will not be granted where cancellation of travel must be made by Air Canada Vacations for any situations which are unusual and/or unforeseeable, i.e., any force majeure including (but not limited to) weather conditions such as inundation, any type of storm, hurricane, tornado or similar, fire, seismic activity, nuclear disasters, strikes, riots or civil conflicts, acts of war, terrorist actions, any public health emergencies or health risks, government actions, supplier bankruptcies and any other events beyond Air Canada Vacations' control.

Hurricane season in the North Atlantic is generally between June 1 and November 30. Air Canada Vacations is not liable for the costs or other consequences that arise out of or result from any inclement weather conditions at any time and where Air Canada Vacations' contractual obligations with its suppliers does not allow for reimbursement of the sums paid to the supplier on behalf of the customer.

All flights are operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express (operated by either Jazz Aviation LP, Sky Regional, Air Georgian or EVAS-Exploits Valley Services), unless otherwise specified.

Air Canada Vacations reserves the right to decline any passenger at any time.
http://vacations.aircanada.com/contactU ... ditions.do

Sound like you have to pay for Air Canada Vacations’ StormGuard in order to reschedule your vacation with hurricane reason.
With Air Canada Vacations’ StormGuard, you can reschedule your Sun vacation (excluding west coast Mexico and Mexico City) before a storm becomes a hurricane - making it easier for you to book with confidence and get the vacation you deserve.

If the US National Hurricane Center declares a tropical storm warning for your vacation destination within three days (72 hours) of your scheduled departure, contact us and you can rebook your vacation for any time before April 30, 2015.

StormGuard is valid for travel from June 1 and completed by Nov. 30, 2014.

When booking your vacation to Mexico & the Caribbean, add StormGuard for only $49 per adult and $35 per child for the flexibility to reschedule your trip before a storm becomes a hurricane. If the US National Hurricane Center declares a tropical storm warning for your destination within 72 hours of your departure, simply call us to postpone your vacation.

Terms and conditions: Must be purchased at time of booking. Travel must be completed within the 6 months following the redemption date. Valid on Air, Hotel & Transfer packages, and hotel-only or air-only bookings to Mexico and the Caribbean (excluding west coast Mexico and Mexico City). New bookings only. Not applicable to group bookings. Subject to change without notice.
http://vacations.aircanada.com/en/vacat ... tormguard/
http://vacations.aircanada.com/en/ideas ... ered/41610
[OP]
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
I guess Ill experience my first hurricane! Thanks for the detailed replied
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15158 posts
12548 upvotes
GTA, ON
BeanFinn wrote: I guess Ill experience my first hurricane! Thanks for the detailed replied
Now a Category 5 with current projections indicating the eye just north of Cuba on Saturday. So Cayo Santa Maria & Cayo Coco are likely to be in some trouble.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10638 posts
3308 upvotes
i would stay home, cuba is not a place where you want to be if disaster hits. cayo santa maria is a 1 road access 2 hours from the airport, if you get stranded there, it could be a long time, power and water is already poor in that area. the main road to cayo santa maria has a 30 minute section of causeway which is only several feet from the ocean.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1486 posts
839 upvotes
Edmonton
This is why i never book AI vacations in advance when booking during hurricane season, these should be booked closer to the date you leave. But if you paid super cheap, this is part of the risk vs reward
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12479 posts
2726 upvotes
Mississauga
I've got friends who left for Punta Cana yesterday. Fingers crossed for them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9580 posts
7219 upvotes
Kootenays
Definitely not something I would voluntarily enter into. Severe hurricanes are no joke or "adventure". Please tell us you're not exposing children to this danger.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4494 posts
2150 upvotes
Calgary
BeanFinn wrote: I guess Ill experience my first hurricane! Thanks for the detailed replied
Why would you risk your life to not lose (or spend extra to go earlier) a trip to hell? There is a reason why trips tend to be cheaper at this time of the year in the Caribbeans.

In a hurricane storm, what will happen if you go: you get stranded as flights are already full once you do decide it's time to bail, you get to be boarded up for half a day in sheer terror whether you will live out. Food rations are scarce, you may be without clean water or proper shelter for a few weeks. You may be stuck on the island for weeks as infrastructure is rebuilt to allow commuter planes to fly. For what? A couple of days of sunshine in Cuba before the winds and rain start?

And that's just a hurricane in general. This is a Category 5 storm and one that might prove to be the strongest on record. What will happen is you will likely die.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15158 posts
12548 upvotes
GTA, ON
No reply from OP. Something tells me they already flew out this morning/
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1486 posts
839 upvotes
Edmonton
lmao love the post above

I was caught in a tropical storm once in Mexico, just rained a ton but stopped and it was nice again. I personally would never go if a cat. 5 was hitting, that is beyond nuts.

Look at what happen to Cabo a few years back, some of those resorts got hit hard
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14730 posts
10879 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Last seen Sep 5, 2017 11:40 AM
chimaican wrote: No reply from OP. Something tells me they already flew out this morning/

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15158 posts
12548 upvotes
GTA, ON
Trip Cancellation insurance during hurricane season is probably something that should have been considered.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12479 posts
2726 upvotes
Mississauga
I've never been to an AI before. Is the general plan to have the guests all wait together in a main room that is relatively secure?
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10638 posts
3308 upvotes
worst storm since Rita 10 years ago, and leaving for a few cheap drinks on a 1000$ holiday.

no thanks.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
There may be cancellations, I would check with your travel agent. I have freins that booked a cruise (yeah, during hurricane sasin and they got notice and told to check the Norwegian website.
Basically, NCL cancelled cruises scheduled to leave Saturday and Sunday. Ships may not even make it back into port. From their website:
"Due to the current forecasted path of the storm, we will be making adjustments to the following cruises to ensure the safety of everyone on board:

Norwegian Escape, Seven-Day Western Caribbean cruise departing September 2 from Miami: We will be amending the ship’s itinerary to a five-day cruise. Instead of calling in Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday, the ship will sail for Miami this evening, arriving in the afternoon on Thursday, September 7. Those guests who are residents of South Florida, who drove to PortMiami or who have travel plans already confirmed that will return them safely home by Friday afternoon may disembark the ship on Thursday if they wish to do so. For those guests who did not drive to PortMiami and are unable to secure a flight back home, we strongly encourage them to stay onboard the ship. Norwegian Escape will set sail from Miami on Thursday evening on a course away from the storm. While we are unable to confirm at this time when and where the ship will return to port, we welcome all guests to remain onboard to stay safe and secure. All guests will received a refund for the missed days of their cruise, along with a 25% future cruise credit of the cruise fare paid towards a future sailing on Norwegian. Guests who need to make changes to any flights will be reimbursed for any change fees up to $300 per person.

Norwegian Sky, Four-Day Cuba Cruise departing September 4 from Miami: We will be amending the ship’s itinerary to a three-day cruise. Instead of calling in Great Stirrup Cay on Thursday, the ship will sail for Miami following her departure from Havana tomorrow, arriving in the morning on Thursday, September 7. All guests will receive a refund for the missed day of their cruise, along with a 25% future cruise credit of the cruise fare paid towards a future sailing on Norwegian. Guests who need to make changes to any flights will be reimbursed for any change fees up to $300 per person

Norwegian Sky, September 8 from Miami: The ship’s three-day Bahamas cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

Norwegian Escape, September 9 from Miami: The ship’s seven-day Eastern Caribbean Cruise has been cancelled. We will be providing a full refund to all guests, plus a 50% future cruise credit.

All other cruises are currently sailing as scheduled. We continue to monitor the storm’s projected path and will provide any updates as quickly as they are available.

We truly appreciate our guests understanding during these unforeseen itinerary changes and apologize for any inconvenience these unexpected, but necessary, changes may cause our guests. Any further updates will be communicated here and to guests and posted on our social media channels."
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10638 posts
3308 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: I've never been to an AI before. Is the general plan to have the guests all wait together in a main room that is relatively secure?
the cuban resort i was at was basically 3 floor condos, not a hotel type setup, with a giant lobby area in the center of the restort, but the lobbys are open air so you wouldnt want to hang out there. i wouldnt consider anywhere at my resort safe from 200+km winds. it was also a 2000 person resort so where would you put those people? shelter in place in the condos would be the best option i would think, but that would be a a poor choice unless you had not other choice.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4810 posts
1266 upvotes
Regina
I think it would be kind of interesting to go there myself, just to live to tell about it
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15158 posts
12548 upvotes
GTA, ON
I just read a post on tripadvisor that an unconfirmed source (local travel agent) stated they might be evacuating Cayo Santa Maria on Thursday, so one also assumes that would also include Cayo Coco, as it's the next set of islands east of it.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
618 upvotes
Ontario
Air transat is evacuating from DR. Irma will wreak havok if it continues on its path.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)