• Nov 6th, 2019 5:02 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1021 posts
673 upvotes
GTA West
demi2004 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 11:24 am
For most people, I would of course recommend hiring a car! I have more than 15 years of experience riding motorcycles and even for me Nusa Penida was not easy in some places. As mentioned, I saw many accidents from stalls as well as from really bad road conditions. And if that doesn't scare you, local trucks drive very fast and in extremely dangerous manner on narrow roads.
Yup. The fact is that when you go to a third world country, you do have to relax some of the safety and hygiene standards that you insist on at home. Otherwise you would never experience some of the most amazing places in the world.

All you can do is be aware and try to manage the worst risks. I do fault tourist bureaus and hotel keepers in many countries for sweeping hazards under the rug and denying problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1039 posts
31 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 10:59 am
It's a small island, but very beautiful. Not spoiled by mass hotels just yet so it's typically locally owned guest houses. For $30/n you can get a very nice bungalow with AC, breakfast, wifi, hot showers,etc.
You go to the fast boat beach area in Sanur and get one of those fast boats. Don't remember the cost, but should be +- 300-400 round trip. There you can hire a motorbike and travel around to your hotel. You can also get a ride if you don't want to hire a bike. Your hotel may also offer transportation. It's a beautiful island with a lot to see. I was there for 3 nights and wish I had 1 more day. Traveling there is tough as roads are bumpy, damaged and very narrow. At night there are giant snakes on the roads and no lights. If you are hiring a bike, get the most powerful you can find as some hills are very steep and impossible to drive on a typical scooter they may offer. I've seen many accidents due to that as the scooters would stall mid way and fall.

Same boats go to Gili islands. It will cost more.
Beaches in Bali are not as good as Thailand and of course none of them can't even be compared to Cuban beaches. Google the (real) images so you know what to expect. Some arrive to Gili islands expecting some kind of a paradise and find dirty beaches full rocks, murky water and a lot of drunken tourists :)
It's good to have realistic expectations and perhaps Tripadvisor may help if you read some reviews.
I guess you are talking about Nusa Penida first? Large snakes at night? hmm...not sure about that? Is that common everywhere? We won't be renting a bike as I have never ridden one and there 3 of us. We will doing a beach in Thailand...again not sure which one still in Thailand? Its for me, my wife and 11 year son. Don't want to be on a secluded quiet beach...we don't mind touristy or lively...not into the night time parties and such though....when you say $300-$400 round trip is that considered expensive? Hmm...what kind of beaches are on Bali? Gili maybe not worth it since we will doing a beach in Thailand then?

Any recommendations of places to stay in Bali?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1395 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2019 10:35 am
I guess you are talking about Nusa Penida first? Large snakes at night? hmm...not sure about that? Is that common everywhere? We won't be renting a bike as I have never ridden one and there 3 of us. We will doing a beach in Thailand...again not sure which one still in Thailand? Its for me, my wife and 11 year son. Don't want to be on a secluded quiet beach...we don't mind touristy or lively...not into the night time parties and such though....when you say $300-$400 round trip is that considered expensive? Hmm...what kind of beaches are on Bali? Gili maybe not worth it since we will doing a beach in Thailand then?

Any recommendations of places to stay in Bali?
Yes, Nusa Penida. Almost ran over 2 of them. From what I saw, most tours or taxis would leave the sightseeing areas around the same time, before sunsets to avoid driving at night.

If you don't want to be in a quiet area or private-type beach in Thailand then just pick busy beach and a resort in the middle of it. Even some busy beaches can be quiet near the end. Just look at the locations on a map. Koh Samui and Hua Hin areas are popular resort regions so perhaps start looking there for a hotel.

300-400 is not $, but indonesian rupiahs :)

Beaches in Bali typically range from yellowish to black sand. During winter times it may also be full of trash(as in piles of trash on beaches and so much in the water that you can't swim). Thailand is better for a beach vacation. Nusa Dua and Sanur are not bad. Nusa Dua is very isolated though with very limited options to eat other than at the resort at prices higher than a fine dining meal in Canada. Legian/Seminyak areaa are popular for those who want to be surrounded by a variety of restaurants, close to some action and shopping yet away from the trashy vibe of Kuta kind give off at times.

If you are doing a beach getaway in Thailand I would personally avoid Gilis and do a more cultural tour( eg. Ljen volcano, ocean dolphin sightings @ Lovina, stay among rice terraces and do a tour of Ubud, etc). Ubud itself is great for a week as a retreat destination. Private villas with a pool are as cheap at $50 among the rice fields or you can stay at many resorts with large pools and restaurants.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3641 posts
2289 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I'm looking to do a vacation in the winter time, Dec 22-Jan 4. Thinking of a week in Bali, but not sure where to stay and do. Also, convince me otherwise too if you think Bali not a good place or time to go.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1039 posts
31 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 9:14 pm
Yes, Nusa Penida. Almost ran over 2 of them. From what I saw, most tours or taxis would leave the sightseeing areas around the same time, before sunsets to avoid driving at night.

If you don't want to be in a quiet area or private-type beach in Thailand then just pick busy beach and a resort in the middle of it. Even some busy beaches can be quiet near the end. Just look at the locations on a map. Koh Samui and Hua Hin areas are popular resort regions so perhaps start looking there for a hotel.

300-400 is not $, but indonesian rupiahs :)

Beaches in Bali typically range from yellowish to black sand. During winter times it may also be full of trash(as in piles of trash on beaches and so much in the water that you can't swim). Thailand is better for a beach vacation. Nusa Dua and Sanur are not bad. Nusa Dua is very isolated though with very limited options to eat other than at the resort at prices higher than a fine dining meal in Canada. Legian/Seminyak areaa are popular for those who want to be surrounded by a variety of restaurants, close to some action and shopping yet away from the trashy vibe of Kuta kind give off at times.

If you are doing a beach getaway in Thailand I would personally avoid Gilis and do a more cultural tour( eg. Ljen volcano, ocean dolphin sightings @ Lovina, stay among rice terraces and do a tour of Ubud, etc). Ubud itself is great for a week as a retreat destination. Private villas with a pool are as cheap at $50 among the rice fields or you can stay at many resorts with large pools and restaurants.
Do you recommend places to stay in Ubud?

I'm also thinking of going on a day trip to Komodo Island to see some dragons...is it okay to do that in the last week of November?
Mar 8, 2004
190 posts
49 upvotes
Kanata
hello99 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm also thinking of going on a day trip to Komodo Island to see some dragons...is it okay to do that in the last week of November?
We stayed here about 4 years ago. Upgraded us to a villa with our own private pool.
https://www.booking.com/hotel/id/ubud-heaven-2.html
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1395 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2019 12:29 am
How bad is the rainy season there?
Not that bad actually. It may rain, it may not. Mostly rains during the night, lots of sun during the day on most days. It may rain for 2-3 days straight or it could be sunny for a few weeks.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1395 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2019 1:16 pm

Can't really recommend anything specific. I've stayed at Marriott properties, villas and small guest houses on rice fields. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. I've never disliked any of the places I stayed in Indonesia. I suggest you find a few in your budget and style and then take a look at the reviews. You can book pretty decent places from $50/night.

I don't know the weather pattern in November for the region. I would suggest you research it and perhaps see if it is open. From my understanding the government was trying to do some changes for the Komodo region and the park( Jan 2019 info). Komodo Island is ok to visit as long as you have proper expectations. I went there, but did my own thing away from everyone. From the feedback I received, I saw way more than those who went for a hike with a group.
Fly in to Flores, stay there for a few days and do a couple of different tours, not just the Komodo tour. I enjoyed diving in the region. Seeing mantas was an absolute highlight. Plus I got to do some eco diving too, which was just excellent.
All of it is not cheap as everyone has to pay park fees regardless of the activities. You can be just snorkeling in the region,but still require to pay hefty "park tourist fees" which differ depending on the day of the week and your snorkel can be upwards $90. Not everyone is aware of that.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1039 posts
31 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2019 2:34 pm
Can't really recommend anything specific. I've stayed at Marriott properties, villas and small guest houses on rice fields. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. I've never disliked any of the places I stayed in Indonesia. I suggest you find a few in your budget and style and then take a look at the reviews. You can book pretty decent places from $50/night.

I don't know the weather pattern in November for the region. I would suggest you research it and perhaps see if it is open. From my understanding the government was trying to do some changes for the Komodo region and the park( Jan 2019 info). Komodo Island is ok to visit as long as you have proper expectations. I went there, but did my own thing away from everyone. From the feedback I received, I saw way more than those who went for a hike with a group.
Fly in to Flores, stay there for a few days and do a couple of different tours, not just the Komodo tour. I enjoyed diving in the region. Seeing mantas was an absolute highlight. Plus I got to do some eco diving too, which was just excellent.
All of it is not cheap as everyone has to pay park fees regardless of the activities. You can be just snorkeling in the region,but still require to pay hefty "park tourist fees" which differ depending on the day of the week and your snorkel can be upwards $90. Not everyone is aware of that.
For Ubud, which area do you recommend? For Komodo Island you explored on your own? Sounds dangerous.

So for Indonesia we have 9 days. 2 days at the end I kept for Mount Bromo...hope it will be okay the last week of November. Then we will have 7 days for Bali/Komodo Island...I was thinking 3 days for Ubud, 2 days Komodo and then that leaves us 2 days of something else? We will probably do a day trip to Nusa Penida so should we stay and Nusa Dua or somethwer else?

So I'm looking for places/areas to stay in Ubud, activities to do there...I'm looking for a tour operator for Komodo Island and a tour operator for Mount Bromo as I would be flying from Bali...and lastly with 2 or 2.5 days another places to stay...Sanur? Nusa Dua?

Then off to Thailand.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1395 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2019 10:13 am
For Ubud, which area do you recommend? For Komodo Island you explored on your own? Sounds dangerous.

So for Indonesia we have 9 days. 2 days at the end I kept for Mount Bromo...hope it will be okay the last week of November. Then we will have 7 days for Bali/Komodo Island...I was thinking 3 days for Ubud, 2 days Komodo and then that leaves us 2 days of something else? We will probably do a day trip to Nusa Penida so should we stay and Nusa Dua or somethwer else?

So I'm looking for places/areas to stay in Ubud, activities to do there...I'm looking for a tour operator for Komodo Island and a tour operator for Mount Bromo as I would be flying from Bali...and lastly with 2 or 2.5 days another places to stay...Sanur? Nusa Dua?

Then off to Thailand.
If you want tourists and easy access to restaurants then near the main road/s and the city center. If you want peace and quiet then anywhere outside of that, as you will get great views.
I don't remember all the places I stayed at. Google Cahaya Villas. I stayed there and it was right among the rice fields. The road required a motorbike as cars can't go there. Also Element by Westin, which is slightly far from restaurants, but it was nice.

The thing with Flores, if waves are too big, the whole ocean(as it is all a part of the national park) is closed and boats stay docked. So essentially, you can arrive and not be able to do any activities. Airport can be shut down too. When we were there, there was huge rain storm that lasted 1 night and then killed a lot of people, capsized a lot of boats and shut down the airport and all access to the ocean for 2 days. I met a lot of sad travelers who either could not do anything and were waiting to leave or those who could not fly out. I don't think November is a perfect month to go there so just be aware of that.

Prices for tours will be somewhat the same from all the major agencies(owned by westerners), with the exception of a couple of scam local tour agencies who charge way less yet deliver 1/2 of what they promise. Those have no websites, reviews as they rebrand and often just have signs such as "free tourist information".
So just google a few and get in touch or you can just do all that when you arrive on the first day. In Labuan Bajo It's basically just 1 street with all the shops there. You can check out a few and book whoever has your tour. They all have different tours on different days(eg. diving on Monday, Komodo tour on Tuesday,etc) .

Also, be very careful exchanging money in Indonesia. There area lot of exchange places on every corner and you will see how some offer unbelievably great rates that are way better than anyone else. Those are scammers. They will not give you the proper amounts and they are are extremely good at it. The main strategy is to be the last to count the money as they will always try to touch it or hold it in order to put it in an envelope. Sometimes just touching it for a second as they are moving the pile to you is enough as with the speed of lightning they can flick a couple of notes back to them. If they can't cheat you, they will refund you the money in most cases as they would be losing on the exchange otherwise! :)
Basically exchange at your hotel or walk-in type shops and avoid exchanges at some open air shops. Compare a few rates and avoid rates that are too different than others. For example you may find that the rate at your hotel for CAD is 10,150; then 10,250 at presentably looking exchange place or 10,650 at some souvenir shop. Rates may also be higher for $50s and $100s and they can refuse old notes or any with tears.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1039 posts
31 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2019 1:49 pm
If you want tourists and easy access to restaurants then near the main road/s and the city center. If you want peace and quiet then anywhere outside of that, as you will get great views.
I don't remember all the places I stayed at. Google Cahaya Villas. I stayed there and it was right among the rice fields. The road required a motorbike as cars can't go there. Also Element by Westin, which is slightly far from restaurants, but it was nice.

The thing with Flores, if waves are too big, the whole ocean(as it is all a part of the national park) is closed and boats stay docked. So essentially, you can arrive and not be able to do any activities. Airport can be shut down too. When we were there, there was huge rain storm that lasted 1 night and then killed a lot of people, capsized a lot of boats and shut down the airport and all access to the ocean for 2 days. I met a lot of sad travelers who either could not do anything and were waiting to leave or those who could not fly out. I don't think November is a perfect month to go there so just be aware of that.

Prices for tours will be somewhat the same from all the major agencies(owned by westerners), with the exception of a couple of scam local tour agencies who charge way less yet deliver 1/2 of what they promise. Those have no websites, reviews as they rebrand and often just have signs such as "free tourist information".
So just google a few and get in touch or you can just do all that when you arrive on the first day. In Labuan Bajo It's basically just 1 street with all the shops there. You can check out a few and book whoever has your tour. They all have different tours on different days(eg. diving on Monday, Komodo tour on Tuesday,etc) .

Also, be very careful exchanging money in Indonesia. There area lot of exchange places on every corner and you will see how some offer unbelievably great rates that are way better than anyone else. Those are scammers. They will not give you the proper amounts and they are are extremely good at it. The main strategy is to be the last to count the money as they will always try to touch it or hold it in order to put it in an envelope. Sometimes just touching it for a second as they are moving the pile to you is enough as with the speed of lightning they can flick a couple of notes back to them. If they can't cheat you, they will refund you the money in most cases as they would be losing on the exchange otherwise! :)
Basically exchange at your hotel or walk-in type shops and avoid exchanges at some open air shops. Compare a few rates and avoid rates that are too different than others. For example you may find that the rate at your hotel for CAD is 10,150; then 10,250 at presentably looking exchange place or 10,650 at some souvenir shop. Rates may also be higher for $50s and $100s and they can refuse old notes or any with tears.
Thanks for the info.

Which month did you go when they shut down the tours? I guess I will play it out when we get there? For money? If the Indonesian money is ripped, is that a problem?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1395 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2019 7:20 am
Thanks for the info.

Which month did you go when they shut down the tours? I guess I will play it out when we get there? For money? If the Indonesian money is ripped, is that a problem?
It can happen any time there are big waves. They shut down all boat traffic. It does not matter what month it is as it can happen any time. Big waves(wind) or rains - no boats in the ocean. Things change quickly. It can rain heavily on Monday and be cloudless and sunny on Tuesday.
IDR ruppies can be ripped, no problem.